[Rails] Applying a patch

Mlle

May 4, 2010, 10:13:33 AM5/4/10
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
Hello,
I've never applied a patch before and would like to know how to do it.

How do I apply the " erb_encoding_workaround.patch" from :

https://rails.lighthouseapp.com/projects/8994/tickets/2188-i18n-fails-with-multibyte-strings-in-ruby-19-similar-to-2038

Marnen Laibow-Koser

May 4, 2010, 3:12:34 PM5/4/10
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Mlle wrote:
> Hello,
> I've never applied a patch before and would like to know how to do it.
>
> How do I apply the " erb_encoding_workaround.patch" from :
>
> https://rails.lighthouseapp.com/projects/8994/tickets/2188-i18n-fails-with-multibyte-strings-in-ruby-19-similar-to-2038

See the man page for the patch command:

http://linux.die.net/man/1/patch

git am might also be useful.

Best,
--
Marnen Laibow-Koser
http://www.marnen.org

Robert Walker

May 6, 2010, 9:30:34 AM5/6/10
Mlle wrote:
> Hello,
> I've never applied a patch before and would like to know how to do it.
>
> How do I apply the " erb_encoding_workaround.patch" from :
>
> https://rails.lighthouseapp.com/projects/8994/tickets/2188-i18n-fails-with-multibyte-strings-in-ruby-19-similar-to-2038

http://ariejan.net/2009/10/26/how-to-create-and-apply-a-patch-with-git/

Mlle

May 10, 2010, 4:36:49 AM5/10/10
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
I put the patch file in my project's main directory and then tried to
apply it.

I got these errors:

e:~/Work/samples$ git apply erb_encoding_workaround.patch\
erb_encoding_workaround.patch :117: trailing whitespace.

error: actionpack/lib/action_view/template_handlers/erb.rb: No such
file or directory
error: actionpack/test/fixtures/test/utf8.html.erb: No such file or
directory
error: actionpack/test/template/render_test.rb: No such file or
directory
error: actionpack/lib/action_view/template_handlers/erb.rb: No such
file or directory
error: actionpack/lib/action_view/renderable.rb: No such file or
directory
error: actionpack/lib/action_view/template_handlers/erb.rb: No such
file or directory
error: actionpack/test/fixtures/test/utf8.html.erb: No such file or
directory
error: actionpack/test/template/render_test.rb: No such file or
directory
error: activesupport/lib/active_support/core_ext/string/multibyte.rb:
No such file or directory
error: activesupport/test/core_ext/string_ext_test.rb: No such file or
directory

Did I put the patch in the right place in order to apply it? Why
would it get all those errors?

Thanks!

On May 6, 3:30 pm, Robert Walker <li...@ruby-forum.com> wrote:
> Mlle wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I've never applied a patch before and would like to know how to do it.
>
> > How do I apply the " erb_encoding_workaround.patch" from :
>
> >https://rails.lighthouseapp.com/projects/8994/tickets/2188-i18n-fails...
>
> http://ariejan.net/2009/10/26/how-to-create-and-apply-a-patch-with-git/

Marnen Laibow-Koser

May 10, 2010, 10:32:12 AM5/10/10
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Because the patch is for the Rails library itself, and you're apparently
trying to apply it to your project files. As a result, it's not seeing
the files it wants to patch, so of course it complains.

> Thanks!

Best,
--
Marnen Laibow-Koser