[Rails] Problem with installation of Rails 3

Siva Kilaru

May 20, 2010, 10:11:40 AM5/20/10
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Help me out guys....

While installing rails 3 i got the following message

:~$ sudo gem install rails --pre

Successfully installed rails-3.0.0.beta3
1 gem installed
Installing ri documentation for rails-3.0.0.beta3...
File not found: lib

My gem list

:~$ gem list

*** LOCAL GEMS ***

abstract (1.0.0)
actionmailer (3.0.0.beta3, 2.3.5)
actionpack (3.0.0.beta3, 2.3.5)
activemodel (3.0.0.beta3)
activerecord (3.0.0.beta3, 2.3.5)
activeresource (3.0.0.beta3, 2.3.5)
activesupport (3.0.0.beta3, 2.3.5)
arel (0.3.3, 0.2.pre)
authlogic (2.1.3)
builder (2.1.2)
bundler (0.9.25)
erubis (2.6.5)
ffi (0.6.3)
i18n (0.3.7)
mail (2.2.1, 2.1.5.3)
memcache-client (1.8.3, 1.7.8)
mime-types (1.16)
pg (0.9.0)
polyglot (0.3.1)
postgres (0.7.9.2008.01.28)
rack (1.1.0, 1.0.1)
rack-mount (0.6.3, 0.4.7, 0.4.0)
rack-test (0.5.3)
rails (3.0.0.beta3)
rails3b (3.0.1)
railties (3.0.0.beta3)
rake (0.8.7)
ruby-pg (0.7.9.2008.01.28)
rubygems-update (1.3.7)
SystemTimer (1.2)
text-format (1.0.0)
text-hyphen (1.0.0)
thor (0.13.6)
treetop (1.4.5)
tzinfo (0.3.20)

Please Help me out....

Jeff

May 20, 2010, 10:18:48 AM5/20/10
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
On May 20, 9:11 am, Siva Kilaru <li...@ruby-forum.com> wrote:
> Help me out guys....
>
> While installing rails 3 i got the following message
>
> :~$ sudo gem install rails --pre
>
> Successfully installed rails-3.0.0.beta3
> 1 gem installed
> Installing ri documentation for rails-3.0.0.beta3...
> File not found: lib

Pretty sure that's just a documentation error. Looks like your Rails
beta3 gem installed fine.

Jeff

Siva Kilaru

May 20, 2010, 10:26:55 AM5/20/10
Jeff Cohen wrote:

> Pretty sure that's just a documentation error. Looks like your Rails
> beta3 gem installed fine.
>
> Jeff

Thanx Jeff

I had one more problem. I dont want to use sqlite3 instead want to use
Postgresql...

Do u have any idea of how to do it..

I think I installed all the required gems

I want to modify the database.yml file which I did but even cant get the
things done!!

Someone or other please help me out in this as well

Siva

conradwt

May 20, 2010, 2:05:34 PM5/20/10
On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 7:26 AM, Siva Kilaru <li...@ruby-forum.com> wrote:
Jeff Cohen wrote:

> Pretty sure that's just a documentation error.  Looks like your Rails
> beta3 gem installed fine.
>
> Jeff

Thanx Jeff

I had one more problem. I dont want to use sqlite3 instead want to use
Postgresql...

Do u have any idea of how to do it..

I think I installed all the required gems

I want to modify the database.yml file which I did but even cant get the
things done!!

Someone or other please help me out in this as well

Siva

Siva, you'll need to following these steps:

a)  Install the PostgreSQL database engine
b)  gem install pg
c)  Update the Gemfile

     gem "pg"

Good luck,

-Conrad

Jeff

May 20, 2010, 3:44:15 PM5/20/10
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
On May 20, 9:26 am, Siva Kilaru <li...@ruby-forum.com> wrote:
> I had one more problem. I dont want to use sqlite3 instead want to use
> Postgresql...
>
> Do u have any idea of how to do it..
>
> I think I installed all the required gems
>
> I want to modify the database.yml file which I did but even cant get the
> things done!!

If you have already generated the app, you need a section like this in
your database.yml:

development:
adapter: postgresql
host: localhost # or your server name
database: my_app_development
username: me
password: password

and similarly change the test and production sections too.

Once you've done that, you can use rake db:create to automatically
create your local postgres database which I think is pretty cool.

In the future, when you create a new Rails app, you can use the -d
option to specify postgresql, which will generate the database.yml for
you from the beginnning.

Jeff

purpleworkshops.com

> Someone or other please help me out in this as well
>
> Siva

Siva Kilaru

May 20, 2010, 5:13:08 PM5/20/10
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Jeff Cohen wrote:
database.yml:

> development:
> adapter: postgresql
> host: localhost # or your server name
> database: my_app_development
> username: me
> password: password
>
> and similarly change the test and production sections too.
>
> Once you've done that, you can use rake db:create to automatically
> create your local postgres database which I think is pretty cool.
>
> In the future, when you create a new Rails app, you can use the -d
> option to specify postgresql, which will generate the database.yml for
> you from the beginnning.
>
> Jeff
>
> purpleworkshops.com

Once again thank you jeff

I was able to change the database.yml file...but I dint understand what
to change on test and production sections(I was a new guy for ROR)

I was able to create a new db too.

Thanks jeff again, this info helped me alot....

Could u please tell me what to update on those two files

Best Wishes
Siva