Just want to announce my auto_sprite gem which some of you may find handy..
It makes using CSS sprites painless. As a bonus - should you remove it some
day, it doesn't break you app, it just reverts to <img> tags..
Full docs are at http://fargle.org/auto_sprite
In a pinch:
1. Include the stylesheet in your layout:
<%= stylesheet_link_tag "auto_sprite" %>
2. Create a directory called sprites in your images directory (e.g.
3. Put the images you want to link to in your public/images/sprites
4. Use your images like you normally would:
<%= image_tag ‘sprites/logo.png’ %>
<%= image_tag ‘sprites/icon1.jpg’ %>
5. Reload you application and enjoy your now faster website.