Having trouble installing rails - SSL issues

Sean Cahoon

Nov 22, 2007, 2:29:02 AM11/22/07
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
I'm trying to install rails on a Debian Etch box. When I run gem install
rails --include-dependencies, however, I get this:

ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::Exception)
SSL is not installed on this system

The problem is, OpenSSL IS installed on my system. I even tried to
reinstall it to make sure, but everything was at its newest version. I
read in another thread that gem shouldn't need this anyway, unless I
request strict security when I start the installation.

Anybody know what's up?

Cheers

Isak Hansen

Nov 22, 2007, 3:46:22 AM11/22/07
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com

Do you also have the libssl-dev package installed?

I recon the library provides a lot of 'crypto related' algorithms
beyond just SSL connections, e.g. message digests and whatnot, which
have a lot of uses.

Isak

Kad Kerforn

Nov 24, 2007, 8:02:25 PM11/24/07
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com

You must install libopenssl-ruby
(I had the same problem installing on Debian distri apt-get install
libopenssl-ruby )

Sean Cahoon

Nov 25, 2007, 8:29:01 PM11/25/07
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
You guys are great. libopenssl fixed it right up. Thanks.

Smitty

Dec 17, 2007, 8:18:23 AM12/17/07
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
I'm running into this same issue on a SUSE 10.1 box. In looking
around, it appears that libopenssl-ruby is a debian-only package, but
I'm kinda new to linux so I'm probably missing something.

Any help is much appreciated.

Current Progress:
Installed Ruby
Installed RubyGem
installed openssl

The output of 'sudo gem install rails --include-dependencies' or 'sudo
gem install rails -y' is:

Bulk updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyforge.org
ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::Exception)
SSL is not installed on this system

Thanks,
Smitty

On Nov 25, 8:29 pm, Sean Cahoon <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net>

Smitty

Dec 17, 2007, 11:06:20 AM12/17/07
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
After a little further investigation I figured out that I needed to
install libopenssl-dev (or devel). After installing that, then going
into the ruby source /ext/oppenssl and running:

ruby extconf.rb
make
make install

I was able then to run:

sudo gem install rails --include-dependencies

It seems to have installed successfully:

>rails -v
Rails 2.0.1

Thanks anyway...