Is AWDwR Still Useful?

Dan

Dec 12, 2007, 3:24:38 AM12/12/07
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
I'm sure this is becoming an FAQ and I apologize. I haven't quite
found the answers I'm looking for yet and hope you can help.

As a relative noob to Rails I'm trying to figure out how best to
approach my learning of it. I wanted to try to work my way thru Agile
Web Development with Rails and figure out how to create the Depot
application in Rails 2.0. I know people have recommended to not do
that and just work through the book with Rails 1.2.5 instead, but I
don't really want to spend a lot of time learning methods and
practices that have been deprecated. I was able to get past a few
hurdles but have hit a wall on trying to figure out how to convert a
dynamic scaffold to a static scaffold for an existing model that has a
different controller name (e.g. the old "script/generate scaffold
product admin") step.

Is working thru the book with an old version of Rails really the best
approach? Then what steps should be followed to retrain my brain to
use the 2.0 methods? Is there a better way to learn Rails 2.0?

blaix

Dec 12, 2007, 8:59:59 AM12/12/07
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
On Dec 12, 3:24 am, Dan <dan.rolan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is working thru the book with an old version of Rails really the best
> approach? Then what steps should be followed to retrain my brain to
> use the 2.0 methods? Is there a better way to learn Rails 2.0?

If you already have the book and are trying to learn from that, I
would stick to 1.2.5. I haven't read the second edition but I'm
assuming they don't use many deprecated features that have been
removed in rails 2.0. The new features of rails 2.0 aren't very
drastic changes if you've been using best practices from 1.2.5, so
updating the depot application after you've finished the book
shouldn't be too difficult. Just keep an eye out for any deprecation
warnings and follow the suggestions. After going through the book, you
can learn the new 2.0 features from:

The peepcode pdf:
http://peepcode.com/products/rails2-pdf

Ryan's scraps:
http://ryandaigle.com/articles/2007/12/7/rails-2-0-final-released-summary-of-features

The official release post:
http://weblog.rubyonrails.org/2007/12/7/rails-2-0-it-s-done

And when you've got a good grasp on the basics, you could check out
Advanced Rails Recipes which covers rails 2.0 (but as far as I know is
not a good introductory tutorial):
http://pragprog.com/titles/fr_arr

That's my recommendation anyway. Good luck!

--
Justin Blake
http://mega.blaix.com

Dan

Dec 12, 2007, 10:20:38 AM12/12/07
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
Thanks for the advice, but I am following the Second Edition and it
seems to be pretty much incompatible with Rails 2.0.

On Dec 12, 8:59 am, blaix <jbl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 12, 3:24 am, Dan <dan.rolan...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Is working thru the book with an old version of Rails really the best
> > approach? Then what steps should be followed to retrain my brain to
> > use the 2.0 methods? Is there a better way to learn Rails 2.0?
>
> If you already have the book and are trying to learn from that, I
> would stick to 1.2.5. I haven't read the second edition but I'm
> assuming they don't use many deprecated features that have been
> removed in rails 2.0. The new features of rails 2.0 aren't very
> drastic changes if you've been using best practices from 1.2.5, so
> updating the depot application after you've finished the book
> shouldn't be too difficult. Just keep an eye out for any deprecation
> warnings and follow the suggestions. After going through the book, you
> can learn the new 2.0 features from:
>
> The peepcode pdf:http://peepcode.com/products/rails2-pdf
>
> Ryan's scraps:http://ryandaigle.com/articles/2007/12/7/rails-2-0-final-released-sum...

feli...@gmail.com

Dec 12, 2007, 7:39:21 PM12/12/07
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
I too have the second edition.

I started working with it in october. By now I am working on my own
app, reading the part of the book that is not related to the depot app
and doing coding in my free time. I actually never finished the depot
app (not that the guide is useless or flawed or anything, it was
mostly because of how I learn things).

I've started converting my app to 2.0 in baby steps. Everything new I
create is RESTful, but I'm not in a hurry to refactor the "old" code.
I think it is easier to "learn" 2.0 if you know 1.2, but thats my
opinion.

I would advise you to go trough and create the depot app using 1.2.6.
After you are done, you will be more prepared to start creating your
own app using 2.0.

Dan

Dec 13, 2007, 9:37:44 AM12/13/07
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
I've relented and am taking your advice. It's much easier to just go
with the flow. Thanks.

eileandour

Dec 28, 2007, 1:11:38 AM12/28/07
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
I got the same situation, but I think wiki is helpful, like change of
using scaffold.

Bala Paranj

Dec 28, 2007, 5:18:35 AM12/28/07
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
I have created a screencast that is updated version of onlamp.com Rolling With Rails for Rails 2.0, check it out: http://www.rubyplus.org/episodes/17-Rolling-with-Ruby-on-Rails-Revised-Rails-2-.html

-

--
http://www.rubyplus.org/
Free Ruby and Rails Screencasts

Ersin Er

Dec 28, 2007, 7:57:17 AM12/28/07
On Dec 28, 2007 12:18 PM, Bala Paranj <bcpa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have created a screencast that is updated version of onlamp.com Rolling
> With Rails for Rails 2.0, check it out:
> http://www.rubyplus.org/episodes/17-Rolling-with-Ruby-on-Rails-Revised-Rails-2-.html

What does this 200MB! download include?

> On Dec 27, 2007 10:11 PM, eileandour <eilea...@gmail.com > wrote:
> >
> > I got the same situation, but I think wiki is helpful, like change of
> > using scaffold.
> >

> > -
> >

> --
> http://www.rubyplus.org/
> Free Ruby and Rails Screencasts

--
Ersin Er

Bala Paranj

Dec 28, 2007, 2:58:41 PM12/28/07
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
It is the pimped up Rails 2.0 version of this article: http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2005/01/20/rails.html

On Dec 28, 2007 4:57 AM, Ersin Er < ersi...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Dec 28, 2007 12:18 PM, Bala Paranj <bcpa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have created a screencast that is updated version of onlamp.com Rolling
> With Rails for Rails 2.0, check it out:
> http://www.rubyplus.org/episodes/17-Rolling-with-Ruby-on-Rails-Revised-Rails-2-.html

What does this 200MB! download include?
> --
> http://www.rubyplus.org/
> Free Ruby and Rails Screencasts
>

>  >

AkitaOnRails

Dec 29, 2007, 9:54:35 AM12/29/07
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
You can check out mine:

http://www.akitaonrails.com/2007/12/10/the-first-rails-2-0-screencast-english

And a 2 part tutorial:

http://www.akitaonrails.com/2007/12/12/rolling-with-rails-2-0-the-first-full-tutorial
http://www.akitaonrails.com/2007/12/12/rolling-with-rails-2-0-the-first-full-tutorial-part-2

Best Regards

On Dec 28, 10:57 am, "Ersin Er" <ersin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 28, 2007 12:18 PM, Bala Paranj <bcpar...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I have created a screencast that is updated version of onlamp.com Rolling
> > With Rails for Rails 2.0, check it out:
> >http://www.rubyplus.org/episodes/17-Rolling-with-Ruby-on-Rails-Revise...

Bala Paranj

Dec 29, 2007, 10:20:31 AM12/29/07
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Here is the Pimped up version of AWDwR depot app:

http://www.rubyplus.org/episodes/19-AWDR-Depot-App-using-Rails-2-version.html

with lot of cool Rails 2.0 features.