Rails wiki down

all4miller

Feb 28, 2011, 2:29:43 PM2/28/11
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
Is the rails wiki (http://wiki.rubyonrails.org) down or abandoned?

Xavier Noria

Mar 1, 2011, 3:13:40 AM3/1/11
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
On Monday, February 28, 2011, all4miller <all4m...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is the rails wiki (http://wiki.rubyonrails.org) down or abandoned?

It has been taken down.

Maxo

Mar 3, 2011, 2:29:47 AM3/3/11
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
Any idea when it will be up?

I found lots of interesting materials on wiki, so it is indeed very
helpful

Xavier Noria

Mar 3, 2011, 2:55:09 AM3/3/11
On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 8:29 AM, Maxo <mal...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Any idea when it will be up?
>
> I found lots of interesting materials on wiki, so it is indeed very
> helpful

There are no plans to bring it up again by now. The wiki had some
outdated information and was not maintained generally speaking. The
link to the wiki has been removed also from the sidebar of the
generated public/index.html etc.

Rails has now two official sets of documentation, the API and the guides.

Kivi

Mar 3, 2011, 3:24:24 AM3/3/11
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
On Mar 3, 9:55 am, Xavier Noria <f...@hashref.com> wrote:
Hi,

Could you please provide the links to these official documentations
and guides? I also found the rails wiki incredibly useful when I was
installing the environment (apache-passenger, rails). I have not found
equivalently clear information on these topics anywhere else yet.

Best regards,

Kristjan

Xavier Noria

Mar 3, 2011, 3:37:44 AM3/3/11

Sure: http://rubyonrails.org/documentation.

> I also found the rails wiki incredibly useful when I was
> installing the environment (apache-passenger, rails). I have not found
> equivalently clear information on these topics anywhere else yet.

Please have a look at the excellent documentation of Phusion
Passenger: http://www.modrails.com/documentation.html.

Colin Law

Mar 3, 2011, 3:41:34 AM3/3/11
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com

So where do I find the most useful list of reserved words that used to
be at http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages/ReservedWords ?

Colin

Michael Pavling

Mar 3, 2011, 3:46:26 AM3/3/11
On 3 March 2011 08:41, Colin Law <cla...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 3 March 2011 07:55, Xavier Noria <f...@hashref.com> wrote:
>> There are no plans to bring it up again by now. The wiki had some
>> outdated information and was not maintained generally speaking.
>
> So where do I find the most useful list of reserved words that used to
> be at http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages/ReservedWords ?

"I've emptied the bath.... now, where's the baby?!"

:-/

Xavier Noria

Mar 3, 2011, 4:34:57 AM3/3/11
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com, Colin Law
On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 9:41 AM, Colin Law <cla...@googlemail.com> wrote:

>> Rails has now two official sets of documentation, the API and the guides.
>
> So where do I find the most useful list of reserved words that used to
> be at http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages/ReservedWords ?

As a last resort you can consult the wayback machine:

http://web.archive.org/web/wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails

Please note that the wiki has been down *for weeks*, and mostly nobody
noticed. That's a signal. It was something that played its role in the
early days, and now we have to move on.

Of course, if there's missing documentation in the project that should be fixed.

Colin Law

Mar 3, 2011, 5:19:15 AM3/3/11
On 3 March 2011 09:34, Xavier Noria <f...@hashref.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 9:41 AM, Colin Law <cla...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Rails has now two official sets of documentation, the API and the guides.
>>
>> So where do I find the most useful list of reserved words that used to
>> be at http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages/ReservedWords ?
>
> As a last resort you can consult the wayback machine:
>
>    http://web.archive.org/web/wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails

ERROR
While trying to retrieve the URL:
http://web.archive.org/web/20110303101520/wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails
The following error was encountered:
* Socket Failure
The system returned:
(98) Address already in use
Squid is unable to create a TCP socket, presumably due to excessive
load. Please retry your request.
Your cache administrator is webmaster.
Generated Thu, 03 Mar 2011 10:15:22 GMT by ia310702.us.archive.org
(squid/2.6.STABLE14)

Colin

Xavier Noria

Mar 3, 2011, 5:53:20 AM3/3/11
On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 11:19 AM, Colin Law <cla...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> ERROR
> The requested URL could not be retrieved
> While trying to retrieve the URL:
> http://web.archive.org/web/20110303101520/wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails
> The following error was encountered:
>    * Socket Failure
> The system returned:
>    (98) Address already in use
> Squid is unable to create a TCP socket, presumably due to excessive
> load. Please retry your request.
> Your cache administrator is webmaster.
> Generated Thu, 03 Mar 2011 10:15:22 GMT by ia310702.us.archive.org
> (squid/2.6.STABLE14)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DecUcrq6AKo

Colin Law

Mar 3, 2011, 3:48:19 PM3/3/11
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com

I don't know how I can ever thank you enough.

Colin

Sanat Gersappa

May 14, 2011, 1:42:56 AM5/14/11
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com