[ANN] Restolog-1.2 (beta1) - RESTful blog example

1 view

Stoyan Zhekov

Aug 23, 2006, 5:58:13 AM8/23/06
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
before several weeks i announced the first Restolog release (1.1,
there was my mistake so, the title was for version 1.2), but something
happened with my email - i found it in the ML archives, but it never
reached GMail (and maybe the mailing list).

To not repeat myself (DRY remember ;) ) just some words again:

== What is restolog?

Restolog is very simple blog system based on REST/CRUD ideas. Sources
(all credits going to the authors, i just combined their work):

* RestBlog by Alisdair McDiarmid [
http://randomoracle.com/stuff/RestBlog.tar.gz ]
* restful_authentication plugin by techno-weenie
[ http://svn.techno-weenie.net/projects/plugins/restful_authentication/ ]
* graseful delete degradation
[ http://www.thelucid.com/articles/2006/07/26/simply-restful-the-missing-action
]

The purpose is mostly proof of concept, not typo/mephisto etc. competition.

== Download

* tarballs:
[ http://bgjap.net/code/ruby/ror/ ] (restolog-1.2b1.tgz is the last one)
* SVN:
svn checkout http://restolog.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ restolog

== Requirements

* Ruby 1.8.4+ (I'm using mongrel, do you?)
* Edge Rails (RESTful by default)
* SQLite 3 (easy to deploy/move)

== Install

$ rails freeze_edge
$ rake migrate
$ server/start
(create admin user)
(logout)
(create usual user - optional, but recommended)

== Example REST Usage

# GET article(s), tag(s), user(s) info
$ script/rester /articles
$ script/rester -h remote.example.com -P 3002 /articles
$ script/rester /articles/1

# POST article/comment
$ script/rester -X POST -u admin -p admin \
-d 'article[title]=Test only;article[body]=Hello
world;article[tag_list]=test rest' \
/articles
$ script/rester -X POST \
-d 'comment[author]=Some User;comment[body]=Very Good' \
/article/1/comments

# DELETE article/comment
$ script/rester -X DELETE -u admin -p admin /articles/2/comments/1
$ script/rester -X DELETE -u admin -p admin /articles/2

You can use also:

$ curl -i -H 'Accept: application/xml' http://...

More information:
* the initial announce for version 1.1:
[ http://wrath.rubyonrails.org/pipermail/rails/2006-August/060144.html ]
* online README file copy:
[ http://bgjap.net/code/ruby/ror/RESTOLOG.txt ]
* online USAGE file copy (with REST usage examples):
[ http://bgjap.net/code/ruby/ror/RESTOLOG_USAGE.txt ]

What's new in this version:

* Textile markup for articles body (act_as_textiled plugin)
* REST client ('script/rester') - pure Ruby, for systems without curl or wget
* New REST API calls added (mostly for articles and comments)
* Some documentation (README, USAGE, CHANGELOG)

Now the problems/questions (that's why the current version is still beta):
* for some reason update via REST (PUT method) do not work - returns
error code 406 Not Acceptable
* is it possible to make the authentication with sending keys like a
part of URL (maybe something with 'remember_me' field in restful
authentication) (something like for example Openomy API [
http://openomy.com/ ] or maybe Amazon's S3 - initial login + some
session/application key in the URL)?

Tom Lieber

Aug 23, 2006, 7:04:40 PM8/23/06
On 8/23/06, Stoyan Zhekov <sto...@gmail.com> wrote:
> == What is restolog?
>
> Restolog is very simple blog system based on REST/CRUD ideas.

Nice! I checked out the source and it's a nice example of how to use
Rails methods to clean up code. I've noticed that some of my own code
has gotten crufty, and this gave me a few ideas.

Sincerely,

Tom Lieber
http://AllTom.com/
http://GadgetLife.org/