Re: New to Ruby

fuzzy

Sep 15, 2012, 12:31:11 PM9/15/12
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
Hello Samir,

I am a newbie as well, and not even a programmer ... I have built up
this list of potential help. Some are free and others you pay for.
Just check each one out and use there free services until you get more
proficient.

I used Michael Hartl' screencasts to learn the basics. Here is the
url:
http://ruby.railstutorial.org/ruby-on-rails-tutorial-book

There is many other tutorials, Rob Connery has some introductory
screen casts:
http://tekpub.com/

Ryan Bates has a whole lot of railscasts that address specific issues
in rails:
http://railscasts.com/?view=list

Kevin Wang and Chris Lee are offering a course in rails:
http://www.railstutors.com/

Then you have railsmentors.org where you can sign up and request a
mentor to help you through a sticky spot.

Another great resource is Rails Guide.

Peepcode has a series on rails:
http://www.rubyinside.com/peepcode-releases-the-meet-rails-3-screencast-series-4039.html

Rails Zombies is a fun introduction:
http://railsforzombies.org/

Another great service is Rails hotline ... this one you phone up and
you get a rails programmer on the phone who will talk you through your
problem ... if you find he has really helped you, then you can buy the
group some more phone minutes ... this is all explained at the web
site:
http://rails.pockethotline.com/

Another site, just for reference, is a real expensive site but for
folks who are already proficient in rails but want some more power ...
owningrails:
http://owningrails.com/

I guess that is it for me ... I think there are even more resources
but maybe some of the other members could fill you in on those.

Keep on riding the rails.

On Sep 15, 12:16 am, Samir <samirkanta.d...@indusnet.co.in> wrote:
> Hi Friends. I am extremely new to Ruby. can you please suggest me how to
> proceed to grab this in a short span of time...

ANIKET KADAM

Sep 15, 2012, 2:42:01 PM9/15/12
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
thanks very much, i m newbie too

Victor Goff

Sep 15, 2012, 2:56:17 PM9/15/12
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
http://RubyLearning.com is there for you too.

There is a Core Ruby batch starting in about a week as well.  Not 'Rails-centric' but Ruby-centric.

Samir

Sep 17, 2012, 4:50:09 AM9/17/12
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Friends. All the above links are really very helpful. :)

Wasif Hyder

Sep 17, 2012, 5:52:51 AM9/17/12
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
http://ureddit.com/class/40250/web-programming-with-ruby-on-rails -
This is a good choice to supplement with the Ruby on Rails tutorial.
Once you get through these comfortably, you can move onto more
advanced topics, and books.

Also, Try keeping a blog as a journal and keep track of your day to
day development. There are few problems that you'd keep encountering
over and over again. An example is of setting up the environment, and
common debugging problems that keep recurring.

In addition, Edxonline.org has a software as a service course that is
coming up which you can take. But you would need to become stronger
in the programming aspect.

Which platform are you developing on ? Windows, Linux, Mac ?

Samir

Sep 17, 2012, 6:01:57 AM9/17/12
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Thanks for the Link. I am working on Linux environment....