[Rails] Using MacPorts To Install Ruby 1.9.1 and Rails 2.3.0 RC1

Conrad Taylor

Feb 15, 2009, 6:32:05 AM2/15/09
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Using MacPorts To Install Ruby 1.9.1 and Rails 2.3.0 RC1

WARNING:  If you want to live on the edge, please continue with the steps below.  Also, please be aware that all gems are not fully compatible with
          Ruby 1.9.1 stable release (i.e. 1.9.1p0).  Furthermore, this installation requires you to remove ALL Ruby related gems and ports because
          we are performing a clean install.  Lastly, I am using an experimental machine (i.e. Apple PowerMac G5) to complete this task and I would
          NOT advise the below actions within a production environment.

0)  Remove Previous Ruby Ports (i.e. ruby, ruby19, rb-*, and so on) and Gems

    a) Ports

       sudo port uninstall <port-name>
       sudo port clean <port-name>

       Note:  Execute the above for all ruby related ports.

    b) Gems

       rm -rf /opt/local/lib/ruby
       rm -rf /opt/local/lib/ruby19

       Note:  You may not need to execute both commands and this really depends on what you have installed and how.

1)  Remove Rake ( Optional If It Does Not Exist )

     sudo rm -rf /opt/local/bin/rake

2)  Install Ruby 1.9.1, SQLite3, and Mysql 5 Ports

     sudo port install ruby19 +nosuffix
     sudo port mysql5 +server
     sudo port sqlite3

     Note:  The above ruby19 install generates the required executables without the extension.

3)  Install Rack, Rake, and Rails 2.3.0 Ruby Gems

     sudo gem install rack
     sudo gem install rake
     sudo gem install rails --source=http://gems.rubyonrails.org

4)  Install SQLite 3 Ruby Gem

     sudo gem install sqlite3-ruby

5)  Install MySQL 2.8.1 Ruby Gem

     sudo gem install kwatch-mysql-ruby -- --with-mysql-config=/opt/local/lib/mysql5/bin/mysql_config

6)  Install Thin

     sudo gem install thin

7)  Generate Rails Test Application

     rails test

8)  Change To The Root Of Rails Application

     cd test

9)  Start Thin

     script/server thin

     Note:  The above command produces the above warning message:

               warning: encoding option is ignored - N

10) Navigate To The Site Using Your Browser:

      Result:  You should see the "Rails Welcome aboard" page.

11) Now, Let Us Generate A Simple Blog

      script/generate scaffold blog title:string text:text

      Note:  The above command produces the above warning message:

                warning: encoding option is ignored - N

12) Migrate The Database

      rake db:migrate

13) Navigate To The Site Using Your Browser:

     and interact with the Rails application to verify that things are working.

14) If you made it this far,

     you are running Rails 2.3.0 RC1 and Ruby 1.9.1.

Good luck,

-Conrad

Conrad Taylor

Feb 15, 2009, 9:13:10 PM2/15/09
On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 3:32 AM, Conrad Taylor <conr...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

sudo port install mysql5 +server

     sudo port sqlite3

 sudo port install sqlite3

Jeff Schwab

Mar 3, 2009, 6:28:57 AM3/3/09
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
On Feb 15, 9:13 pm, Conrad Taylor <conra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 3:32 AM, Conrad Taylor <conra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Using MacPorts To Install Ruby 1.9.1 and Rails 2.3.0 RC1

Thank you. This was extremely helpful.

> > sudo gem install kwatch-mysql-ruby --
> > --with-mysql-config=/opt/local/lib/mysql5/bin/mysql_config

$ sudo gem install kwatch-mysql-ruby -- --with-mysql-config=/opt/local/
lib/mysql
5/bin/mysql_config
Password:
ERROR: could not find gem kwatch-mysql-ruby locally or in a
repository
Updating class cache with 2296 classes...

$ sudo gem install kwatch-mysql-ruby --source=http://gems.github.com
-- --with-mysql-config=/opt/local/lib/mysql5/bin/mysql_config
Successfully installed kwatch-mysql-ruby-2.8.1
1 gem installed

Jeff Schwab

Mar 3, 2009, 8:01:40 AM3/3/09
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
On Feb 15, 9:13 pm, Conrad Taylor <conra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 3:32 AM, Conrad Taylor <conra...@gmail.com> wrote:

For the archives:

> > 9)  Start Thin
>
> >      script/server thin

Thin works, but WEBrick encounters an error:

Internal Server Error
undefined method `each'

See also:
http://groups.google.com/group/rack-devel/browse_thread/thread/3e9d1bb16f977bd4

Conrad Taylor

Mar 3, 2009, 9:45:47 AM3/3/09
On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 5:01 AM, Jeff Schwab <je...@schwabcenter.com> wrote:

On Feb 15, 9:13 pm, Conrad Taylor <conra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 3:32 AM, Conrad Taylor <conra...@gmail.com> wrote:

For the archives:

> > 9)  Start Thin
>
> >      script/server thin

Thin works, but WEBrick encounters an error:

   Internal Server Error
   undefined method `each'

Yes, this is the expected behavior when trying to use WEBrick instead of Thin.

-Conrad

Jeff Schwab

Mar 3, 2009, 9:47:57 AM3/3/09
Conrad Taylor wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 5:01 AM, Jeff Schwab <je...@schwabcenter.com
> <mailto:je...@schwabcenter.com>> wrote:
>

> On Feb 15, 9:13 pm, Conrad Taylor <conra...@gmail.com
> <mailto:conra...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> > On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 3:32 AM, Conrad Taylor
> <conra...@gmail.com <mailto:conra...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> For the archives:
>
> > > 9) Start Thin
> >
> > > script/server thin
>
> Thin works, but WEBrick encounters an error:
>
> Internal Server Error
> undefined method `each'
>

> Yes, this is the expected behavior when trying to use WEBrick instead of
> Thin.

Expected by whom? It certainly wasn't expected by me, and I suspect it
won't be expected by other newbies. Anyway, thanks again for the
step-by-step instruction.

Conrad Taylor

Mar 3, 2009, 10:12:15 AM3/3/09
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
It was expected by me.  If WEBrick was working, I would had added the following
use case for step (9):

script/server

instead of

script/server thin

Furthermore, WEBrick and Mongrel wasn't updated to support ruby 1.9.1 at the time I was
putting this tutorial together.  Lastly, I plan to turn these instructions into a blog post so that
I can easily update it.

-Conrad

Jeff Schwab

Mar 3, 2009, 10:23:13 AM3/3/09
Conrad Taylor wrote:

> If WEBrick was working, I would had added the
> following use case for step (9):
>
> script/server
>
> instead of
>
> script/server thin

Fair enough.

Fernando Perez

Jun 19, 2010, 5:17:54 PM6/19/10
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Google brought me here.

> 2) Install Ruby 1.9.1, SQLite3, and Mysql 5 Ports
>
> sudo port install ruby19 +nosuffix
> sudo port mysql5 +server
> sudo port sqlite3
>
> Note: The above ruby19 install generates the required executables
> without the extension.

I installed ruby 1.9.1 with the 1.9 suffix, and I think ./script/server
is confused and is trying to run the old ruby stuff that ships with OSX.
Does it mean I have to reinstall everything from scratch with the
+nosuffix flag?

Thanks

Fernando Perez

Jun 20, 2010, 7:50:51 AM6/20/10
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com

> I installed ruby 1.9.1 with the 1.9 suffix, and I think ./script/server
> is confused and is trying to run the old ruby stuff that ships with OSX.
> Does it mean I have to reinstall everything from scratch with the
> +nosuffix flag?
>
> Thanks

I confirm I needed to reinstall ruby with +nosuffix. Now it all works,
well except ruby-debug which won't compile :-(

Conrad Taylor

Jun 20, 2010, 1:16:51 PM6/20/10
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 20, 2010, at 4:50 AM, Fernando Perez <li...@ruby-forum.com>
wrote:

>> I installed ruby 1.9.1 with the 1.9 suffix, and I think ./script/
>> server
>> is confused and is trying to run the old ruby stuff that ships with
>> OSX.
>> Does it mean I have to reinstall everything from scratch with the
>> +nosuffix flag?
>>
>> Thanks
>
> I confirm I needed to reinstall ruby with +nosuffix. Now it all works,
> well except ruby-debug which won't compile :-(

If you're using Rails 3, it is recommended that you use Ruby 1.9.2.
If this is the case, then you might want to use RVM for installing
Ruby by doing the following:

rvm install 1.9.2- head

Good luck,

-Conrad

> --
> .

Fernando Perez

Jun 20, 2010, 2:54:19 PM6/20/10
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
> If you're using Rails 3, it is recommended that you use Ruby 1.9.2.
> If this is the case, then you might want to use RVM for installing
> Ruby by doing the following:
>
> rvm install 1.9.2- head
>
> Good luck,
>
> -Conrad

I'm still running 2.3.8 until 3 goes official. I'll give a try at RVM.

By the way my machine runs Tiger on a PowerPC, is there any issue I
might run into?

Conrad Taylor

Jun 20, 2010, 3:11:54 PM6/20/10
On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 11:54 AM, Fernando Perez <li...@ruby-forum.com> wrote:
> If you're using Rails 3, it is recommended that you use Ruby 1.9.2.
> If this is the case, then you might want to use RVM for installing
> Ruby by doing the following:
>
> rvm install 1.9.2- head
>
> Good luck,
>
> -Conrad

I'm still running 2.3.8 until 3 goes official. I'll give a try at RVM.

By the way my machine runs Tiger on a PowerPC, is there any issue I
might run into?

If you're using Rail 2.3.8, I would still recommend using Ruby 1.9.2 instead
of Ruby 1.9.1.  Why?

Next, I would recommend upgrading to Leopard but you should be good
with Tiger.

Good luck,

-Conrad