mysql.rb driver has been removed from Rails 2.2 ?

Jose Fernandez

Jul 22, 2008, 1:44:54 AM7/22/08
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Out of nowhere I'm starting to get this error message when trying to
access the DB (currently at rails edge):

jose@macbook [~/Development/clients/sequoyah] $ rake db:create
(in /Users/jose/Development/clients/sequoyah)
!!! The bundled mysql.rb driver has been removed from Rails 2.2. Please
install the mysql gem and try again: gem install mysql.
rake aborted!
Failed to lookup Init function
/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/i686-darwin9.3.0/mysql.bundle

I've already re-installed the mysql gem a million times (uninstall and
reinstall) and I still get this, any ideas?

Justin Halsall

Aug 14, 2008, 4:58:40 AM8/14/08
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
I have the same problem when running script/server:
JuicyBook:trunk justin$ script/server
=> Booting Mongrel (use 'script/server webrick' to force WEBrick)
=> Rails 2.1.0 application starting on http://0.0.0.0:3000
=> Call with -d to detach
=> Ctrl-C to shutdown server
** Starting Mongrel listening at 0.0.0.0:3000
** Starting Rails with development environment...

Failed to lookup Init function
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.7/lib/mysql.bundle
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.7/lib/mysql.bundle
/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in
`require'

The only way I can get around this is to add the old mysql.rb file to
your RAILS_ROOT/lib folder (the one that was removed from edge rails).

This really bugs me though because I have to do this for every checkout,
every branch and I need to remember to not commit it.

If anyone has a real solution it would be very helpful!

Justin Halsall

Aug 14, 2008, 5:04:30 AM8/14/08
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
And you also need to edit the mysql_adapter.rb file line 63
change the line into:
require RAILS_ROOT + "/lib/mysql.rb"

Justin Halsall wrote:
> The only way I can get around this is to add the old mysql.rb file to
> your RAILS_ROOT/lib folder (the one that was removed from edge rails).

Weng Edgar

Nov 26, 2008, 8:32:05 AM11/26/08
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
you can go to http://www.tmtm.org/en/ruby/mysql/ to download the tar
file, and run the command below

# ruby ./install.rb

to install the mysql.rb

Shawn Cheatham

Dec 10, 2008, 8:27:34 PM12/10/08
Weng Edgar wrote:
> you can go to http://www.tmtm.org/en/ruby/mysql/ to download the tar
> file, and run the command below
>
> # ruby ./install.rb
>
> to install the mysql.rb

Just learning so hang with me. I downloaded, unzipped and in terminal
ran # ruby ./install.rb which returned a new command line. Is there a
specific location the folder should sit in before the install command is
entered or a directory I should be in first?

Thanks in advance

Brian Hogan

Dec 11, 2008, 8:15:09 AM12/11/08
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
You get around this by actually installing the MySQL gem with C
bindings. The one you guys are talking about is the pure Ruby one.

The pure-MySQL library is terrible for performance and can cause some
seriously flaky stuff. There are a number of posts on tis list that
discuss the installation of that library.

If you're getting the error relating to

/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.7/lib/mysql.bundle

then you have a half-installed mysql driver and I bet you're on a Mac.

The solution that worked for me was to do this:

http://www.napcsweb.com/blog/2007/06/01/mysql-gem-on-osx/

I hope that helps!

Shawn Cheatham

Dec 11, 2008, 6:48:00 PM12/11/08
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the help - after a bit of onsite help I was able to complete
the install. Still some quirks to be worked out but that's the
point...to tinker.

Thanks again

Brian Hogan wrote:
> You get around this by actually installing the MySQL gem with C
> bindings. The one you guys are talking about is the pure Ruby one.
>
> The pure-MySQL library is terrible for performance and can cause some
> seriously flaky stuff. There are a number of posts on tis list that
> discuss the installation of that library.
>
> If you're getting the error relating to
>
> /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.7/lib/mysql.bundle
>
> then you have a half-installed mysql driver and I bet you're on a Mac.
>
> The solution that worked for me was to do this:
>
> http://www.napcsweb.com/blog/2007/06/01/mysql-gem-on-osx/
>
> I hope that helps!
>
> On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 7:27 PM, Shawn Cheatham

Hans

Jan 22, 2009, 12:04:25 PM1/22/09
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
I have installed rails 2.2.2 (had 2.0.1) and the mysql performance is
very bad compared to earlier
I takes me 10 minutes to load data into a mysql database. With 2.0.1
it took less than 4 minutes
The amount of save and creating operations is indicated of that the
log file is about 2.7 MB
I have tried to install mysql gem as proposed.

I first uninstalled mysql by
sudo gem uninstall mysql
I then installed it again with
sudo env ARCHFLAGS="-arch i386" gem install mysql -- --with-mysql-
dir=/usr/local/mysql --with-mysql-lib=/usr/local/mysql/lib --with-
mysql-include=/usr/local/mysql/include

but there is now change in performance
I have Mysql 5.051, gem 1.3.1 ruby 1.8.6 rails 2.2.2

Appriciate any helps!!!!!

On 12 Dec 2008, 00:48, Shawn Cheatham <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-
s.net> wrote:
> Thanks for the help - after a bit of onsite help I was able to complete
> the install. Still some quirks to be worked out but that's the
> point...to tinker.
>
> Thanks again
>

> Brian Hogan wrote:
> > You get around this by actually installing the MySQL gem with C
> > bindings. The one you guys are talking about is the pure Ruby one.
>
> >  The pure-MySQL library is terrible forperformanceand can cause some

Nate Leavitt

Jan 22, 2009, 2:59:59 PM1/22/09
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
This way has worked everytime for me. Make sure the path is correct in
your environment.

sudo gem install mysql --
--with-mysql-config=/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql_config