Deploy: Developing on Windows Deploying on Linux hosting

Ali Imran

Jun 21, 2010, 6:49:04 PM6/21/10
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
I am trying from a week to deploy my application. Please help me how
to do this.

Thanks

Frederick Cheung

Jun 22, 2010, 6:13:54 AM6/22/10
to Ruby on Rails: Talk

On Jun 21, 11:49 pm, Ali Imran <ali.imran.r...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am trying from a week to deploy my application. Please help me how
> to do this.

What's not working? What's your setup (unicorn/passenger/mongrel/
something else) ?

Fred

Ar Chron

Jun 22, 2010, 8:46:09 AM6/22/10
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com

To save yourself tons of potential future grief, try setting up a VM on
your Windows machine that is based on the same Linux OS as your
deployment target OS.

Then it becomes easy-peasy, otherwise you're caught trying to make sure
that the gems you have been using under Windows behave the same under
your Linux OS. Generally (very generally) not an issue.

Ali Imran

Jun 22, 2010, 6:24:35 PM6/22/10
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
Thanks for the reply

How to install the passenger on windows xp. I am trying to install it
but it is giving me
this error...

C:\>gem install passenger
ERROR: Error installing passenger:

C:/Ruby191/bin/ruby.exe extconf.rb

make
'make' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Gem files will remain installed in C:/Ruby191/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/
fastthrea
d-1.0.7 for inspection.
Results logged to C:/Ruby191/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/fastthread-1.0.7/
ext/fastt
hread/gem_make.out

C:\>

On Jun 22, 4:13 am, Frederick Cheung <frederick.che...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Jun 21, 11:49 pm, Ali Imran <ali.imran.r...@gmail.com> wrote:> I am trying from a week todeploymy application. Please help me how

Agoofin

Jun 22, 2010, 6:30:01 PM6/22/10
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
Ar is correct - Virtual Box http://www.virtualbox.org/ is one such
path and is free for personal use.

You might checkout Capistrano - http://www.capify.org/index.php/Tutorials

And depending on what you're deploying you might be interested in
Heroku - http://heroku.com/

Marnen Laibow-Koser

Jun 22, 2010, 6:32:52 PM6/22/10
Ali Imran wrote:
> Thanks for the reply
>
> How to install the passenger on windows xp.

Please see
http://www.modrails.com/documentation/Users%20guide%20Apache.html#_supported_operating_systems

Best,
--
Marnen Laibow-Koser
http://www.marnen.org

Ali Imran

Jun 22, 2010, 6:40:35 PM6/22/10
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
Buddy Thanks for reply..

On Jun 22, 6:46 am, Ar Chron <li...@ruby-forum.com> wrote:
> Ali Imran wrote:
> > I am trying from a week todeploymy application. Please help me how

Ali Imran

Jun 22, 2010, 6:42:35 PM6/22/10
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
Thanks...
it says

"Phusion Passenger works on any POSIX-compliant operating system. In
other words: practically any operating system on earth, except
Microsoft Windows"

so it is not possible to install on windows ...

On Jun 22, 4:32 pm, Marnen Laibow-Koser <li...@ruby-forum.com> wrote:
> Ali Imran wrote:
> > Thanks for the reply
>
> > How to install the passenger on windows xp.
>
> Please seehttp://www.modrails.com/documentation/Users%20guide%20Apache.html#_su...
>
> Best,
> --
> Marnen Laibow-Koserhttp://www.marnen.org
> mar...@marnen.org

Marnen Laibow-Koser

Jun 22, 2010, 7:59:01 PM6/22/10
Ali Imran wrote:
> Thanks...
> it says
>
> "Phusion Passenger works on any POSIX-compliant operating system. In
> other words: practically any operating system on earth, except
> Microsoft Windows"
>
> so it is not possible to install on windows ...

Right (unless you're using a VM, of course).

Ali Imran

Jun 23, 2010, 12:11:12 AM6/23/10
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
Please if some one tell me how to setup the virtual machine on windows
PC,..

Thanks...

On Jun 22, 5:59 pm, Marnen Laibow-Koser <li...@ruby-forum.com> wrote:
> Ali Imran wrote:
> > Thanks...
> > it says
>
> > "Phusion Passenger works on any POSIX-compliant operating system. In
> > other words: practically any operating system on earth, except
> > Microsoft Windows"
>
> > so it is not possible to install on windows ...
>
> Right (unless you're using a VM, of course).
>
> Best,

Ali Imran

Jun 23, 2010, 1:01:00 AM6/23/10
to Ruby on Rails: Talk

Ali Imran

Jun 23, 2010, 1:09:58 AM6/23/10
to Ruby on Rails: Talk

Ali Imran

Jun 23, 2010, 1:35:59 AM6/23/10
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
Do Now I need to install Ruby on rails on my virtual machine..

On Jun 22, 11:09 pm, Ali Imran <ali.imran.r...@gmail.com> wrote:
> here is how...
>
> http://www.pendrivelinux.com/running-linux-from-within-windows-virtua...

Michael Pavling

Jun 23, 2010, 8:10:35 AM6/23/10
On 23 June 2010 06:35, Ali Imran <ali.imr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Do Now I need to install Ruby on rails on my virtual machine..

Probably; if it's not in there by default. Or you could use a
full-stack that's already prepared for you. There was an email the
other day about a Rails VM that was ready-to-use:

http://capslog-informatique.fr/site_virtualrails/

Haven't used it myself though...

Ali Imran

Jun 23, 2010, 10:28:54 AM6/23/10
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
I installed It , Can you please help me how to setup the Ruby on rails
over this virtual machine.?

Thanks..

Ali Imran

Jun 23, 2010, 4:07:59 PM6/23/10
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
I found this and use this method to install ruby on rails on virtual
box

http://panthersoftware.com/articles/view/6/ruby-on-rails-development-on-ubuntu-9-04-jaunty-using-ruby-1-8-6

On Jun 23, 8:28 am, Ali Imran <ali.imran.r...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I installed It , Can you please help me how to setup the Ruby on rails
> over this virtual machine.?
>
> Thanks..
>
> On Jun 22, 6:46 am, Ar Chron <li...@ruby-forum.com> wrote:
>
> > Ali Imran wrote:
> > > I am trying from a week todeploymy application. Please help me how

Jerome Fillioux

Jun 24, 2010, 5:34:29 PM6/24/10
Ali Imran wrote:
> I installed It , Can you please help me how to setup the Ruby on rails
> over this virtual machine.?
>
> Thanks..

Hi, I'm the Project Manager of VirtualRails :)

you don't have to setup Ruby on Rails on VirtualRails, It's already
done.

In fact, the VirtualRails virtual machine is already fully configured to
develop and/or deploy Ruby on Rails applications on an ubuntu basis.

You don't have to follow the instructions of Panther Software, the job
is already done ;)
All you want to use is already there up and running : Ruby, Rails,
Netbeans, MySQL, and so on...

All you have to do is to run VirtualRails and get your source code into
it, with subversion or git for exemple, or even by pasting it from your
windows hard drive.

Let me know how I can help you :)

Jérôme
www.virtualrails.org

Ali Imran

Jun 24, 2010, 5:41:35 PM6/24/10
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
Thanks for the reply:

I install it on my laptop, and key board is not supporting ... Its HP
machine..

Thanks

Jerome Fillioux

Jun 24, 2010, 5:55:10 PM6/24/10
Ali Imran wrote:
> Thanks for the reply:
>
> I install it on my laptop, and key board is not supporting ... Its HP
> machine..
>
> Thanks

You're welcome
did you tried the last 1.1 version ? It comes with a better US keyboard
layout support.

On the other side, like on any Ubuntu system, you can easyly configure
the keyboard layout that fit your laptops'hardware :
In VirtualRails, cick on the bottom menu and go to "menu -> preferences
-> keyboard"
There you can adjust your keyboard settings :)

hope it will help !

Ali Imran

Jun 24, 2010, 5:58:52 PM6/24/10
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
Buddy, you did the great job,

Yes I tried all possible key board support in Ubuntu. It did not work,
I also did not try 1.1.

I will download it and try it on my machines will let you know about
my that experience too.

Thanks,

Ali Imran

Jun 24, 2010, 6:03:02 PM6/24/10
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
There is only one version to download.

Jerome Fillioux

Jun 24, 2010, 6:05:43 PM6/24/10
Ali Imran wrote:
> Buddy, you did the great job,
>
> Yes I tried all possible key board support in Ubuntu. It did not work,
> I also did not try 1.1.
>
> I will download it and try it on my machines will let you know about
> my that experience too.
>
> Thanks,

hum, there is no reason that the 1.1 solve your problems if all the
Ubuntu layouts can't :/

have you been more successfull by installing a linux distro on
virtualbox by yourself ?
i.e : is it a specific virtualrails problem, or do you face it with a
standard ubuntu system ?

thanks for your support

ps : yes, I've removed the old 1.0 version from the downloads section :)

Ali Imran

Jun 24, 2010, 6:10:44 PM6/24/10
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
No i did not face this problem with Ubuntu, That is running normaly on
my all machines, i.e desktops and laptops..

Jerome Fillioux

Jun 24, 2010, 6:13:58 PM6/24/10
Ali Imran wrote:
> No i did not face this problem with Ubuntu, That is running normaly on
> my all machines, i.e desktops and laptops..

Under virtualbox I mean

Ali Imran

Jul 1, 2010, 6:41:17 PM7/1/10
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
Yes of course

Jerome Fillioux

Jul 1, 2010, 6:45:13 PM7/1/10
Ali Imran wrote:
> Yes of course

Hello :)

can you give me some of your hardware details, such as the laptop model,
os version, and so on please ?

we want virtualrails to be as little buggy as possible, and if there is
a way to solve your problem, we'll try to find it :)