Time to start the new group?

T.J. Crowder

Jul 4, 2008, 5:46:38 PM7/4/08
to Ruby on Rails: Spinoffs
Hi all,

The chorus of "ayes" being conspicuously absent from the original
thread [1], I'm guessing that buried deep in a thread wasn't the best
place to propose a timetable for starting the new group and asking for
replies. So, quoting from that thread:

<< Hi all,

I've been pursuing this new group thing behind the scenes with Tobie
and the core team. And apparently I'm not the only one who thinks the
spam has gotten just ridiculous. As you may know, we were sort of
holding off moving to the new group until A) We could locate and
contact the owner of this group so we could modify its description
(etc.) to point to the new one, and B) Until we finished and posted a
new FAQ to prototypejs.org which would (among other things) mention
the new group. Frankly, both of them have been holding things up.

But! Good news on both fronts. Tobie has finally succeeded (after
much effort) in contacting an owner/manager of this group (DHH, in
fact), and I've taken kangax's stuff, Tobie's outline, a few of my own
ideas, and gotten together a draft FAQ. No major comments in a week,
so it's now just pending Andrew doing some final edits to it, and then
one of the core team will post it to the site. We already have enough
volunteers to be moderators on the new group (and many, many thanks to
the folks who've come forward) so we can cut way down on spam.

So here's my recommendation:

* 6 July 2008 (or soon thereafter): Post the FAQ.
* 6 July 2008: "Open" the new group (it's currently hidden to avoid
confusion), announce it in a thread here, and allow discussions in
both places while suggesting that new threads get posted to the new
group (but still answering them here if they're posted her). Start
moving any ongoing discussions to the new group.
* 15 July 2008: Stop answering questions here. If someone posts
here, we'll just tell them to repost to the new group (that can mostly
be done by doing a standard footer that goes on all messages). Edit
the description of this group to redirect people to the new group.
* 15 August 2008: Close this group entirely to new posts.

Here are the details of the new group -- we still have time to change
the URL/email address if people want, but as we say here in the UK, it
does what it says on the box:

New group name: Prototype & script.aculo.us
Email address: prototype-s...@googlegroups.com

All in favor of the above say aye! >>

So far we have ayes on the timetable and such (there's no question
about *whether* to do it) from:
* Myself
* Ryan Gahl
* Trevan Richins
* Justin Perkins
* Walter Lee Davis (I think)

I'd like to see a few more ayes from high-profile posters before
moving forward; seems important that we be pretty broadly in agreement
on when to make the transition...
--
T.J. Crowder
tj / crowder software / com

[1] http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-spinoffs/browse_thread/thread/0732340bedfdd74b

Diodeus

Jul 4, 2008, 7:28:21 PM7/4/08
to Ruby on Rails: Spinoffs
Uh, Yeah, I'm in!

Thank you for your consideration.

- James.
> [1]http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-spinoffs/browse_thread/thr...

Jarkko Laine

Jul 5, 2008, 2:43:14 AM7/5/08
to rubyonrail...@googlegroups.com
On 5.7.2008, at 0.46, T.J. Crowder wrote:
> I'd like to see a few more ayes from high-profile posters before
> moving forward; seems important that we be pretty broadly in agreement
> on when to make the transition...

My voice probably doesn't count, but aye anyway!

//jarkko

--
Jarkko Laine
http://jlaine.net

Chris Chabot

Jul 5, 2008, 4:24:28 AM7/5/08
to rubyonrail...@googlegroups.com
aye

Christophe Porteneuve

Jul 5, 2008, 6:38:33 AM7/5/08
to rubyonrail...@googlegroups.com
Aye aye, sir!

Walter Lee Davis

Jul 5, 2008, 12:59:10 PM7/5/08
to rubyonrail...@googlegroups.com
Ditto, just to be clear!

Walter

On Jul 5, 2008, at 6:38 AM, Christophe Porteneuve wrote:

> Aye aye, sir!

Frederick Polgardy

Jul 5, 2008, 1:06:18 PM7/5/08
to rubyonrail...@googlegroups.com
Aye.clone().

On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 4:46 PM, T.J. Crowder <t...@crowdersoftware.com> wrote:

Hi all,

The chorus of "ayes" being conspicuously absent from the original
thread [1], I'm guessing that buried deep in a thread wasn't the best
place to propose a timetable for starting the new group and asking for
replies.  So, quoting from that thread:

--
Science answers questions; philosophy questions answers.

kangax

Jul 5, 2008, 1:21:36 PM7/5/08
to Ruby on Rails: Spinoffs
'Aye'.times(10);

-- kangax

On Jul 4, 5:46 pm, "T.J. Crowder" <t...@crowdersoftware.com> wrote:
> [1]http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-spinoffs/browse_thread/thr...

ColinFine

Jul 7, 2008, 4:13:02 AM7/7/08
to Ruby on Rails: Spinoffs
> All in favor of the above say aye! >>
>
> So far we have ayes on the timetable and such (there's no question
> about *whether* to do it) from:
> * Myself
> * Ryan Gahl
> * Trevan Richins
> * Justin Perkins
> * Walter Lee Davis (I think)
>
> I'd like to see a few more ayes from high-profile posters before
> moving forward; seems important that we be pretty broadly in agreement
> on when to make the transition...

Sounds like a good idea, but I'm a recent lurker and occasional
poster, so I don't fit your 'high-profile' criterion. :-)
> --
> T.J. Crowder
> tj / crowder software / com
>
> [1]http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-spinoffs/browse_thread/thr...

T.J. Crowder

Jul 7, 2008, 4:18:39 AM7/7/08
to Ruby on Rails: Spinoffs
> Sounds like a good idea, but I'm a recent lurker and occasional
> poster, so I don't fit your 'high-profile' criterion. :-)

S'alright, we reached critical mass:
http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-spinoffs/browse_thread/thread/04f1cb44432adc88/ad63fce108f7732d