Rails 2.1

Chris T

Jan 30, 2008, 4:26:52 AM1/30/08
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
There's been some great stuff added to edge since 2.0.2. Any chance it
might be wrapped up into a 2.1 release?
Cheers
Chris

--
----------------
http://pushrod.wordpress.com -- old dogs, new tricks

Ryan Bigg

Jan 30, 2008, 5:09:42 AM1/30/08
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
What specifically?
--
Ryan Bigg
http://www.frozenplague.net

Pratik

Jan 30, 2008, 5:11:38 AM1/30/08
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
http://www.loudthinking.com/posts/20-dont-overestimate-the-power-of-versions

I personally feel it's a bit too soon for 2.1

--
Cheers!
- Pratik

Chris T

Jan 30, 2008, 5:31:15 AM1/30/08
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
I'm specifically thinking of the improvements to caching (e.g. ability
to cache non-erb templates and memcache stuff) and routing. However,
obviously there's a fair bit of overhead in doing a release, so that has
to be factored in too.

Cheers
Chris

Ryan Bigg wrote:
> What specifically?
>
> On Jan 30, 2008 7:56 PM, Chris T <ctmaili...@googlemail.com

Jack Danger Canty

Jan 30, 2008, 9:56:49 AM1/30/08
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
My app is frozen to a trunk checkout from a few weeks after 2.0.2.  I tried updating it to HEAD yesterday and most of my tests failed.  Stuff like my Haml plugin version not working with the latest actionpack (minor problem) to the new preloading associations not picking up my scoped :includes (major problem).

I'll be working on patches to iron things out but I don't think the level of upgrade support that the current code would require is worth a release just yet.

I would like to see one in a few months though.

::Jack Danger

Michael Koziarski

Jan 30, 2008, 8:34:20 PM1/30/08
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
> I'll be working on patches to iron things out but I don't think the level of
> upgrade support that the current code would require is worth a release just
> yet.
>
> I would like to see one in a few months though.

We definitely want to push 2.1 'relatively' quickly, but the current
state of trunk is quite a way from being a usable release. I'll spend
some time backporting more of the bugfixes and push out a 2.0.x at
some stage too. But for now, edge is still evolving.
--
Cheers

Koz

Trevor Turk

Feb 1, 2008, 10:36:24 PM2/1/08
to Ruby on Rails: Core
On Jan 30, 7:34 pm, "Michael Koziarski" <mich...@koziarski.com> wrote:
> We definitely want to push 2.1 'relatively' quickly, but the current
> state of trunk is quite a way from being a usable release.  I'll spend
> some time backporting more of the bugfixes and push out a 2.0.x at
> some stage too.  But for now,  edge is still evolving.

I can imagine that backporting something like Rails is not easy, but I
just wanted to put in a good word for continuing with regular
incremental releases. I'm probably in the minority here, but I prefer
to run my apps on gems, and I really appreciated the quick releases in
the 2.0.x branch.

- Trevor