IIS, new FastCGI support, and Rails

7 katselukertaa
Siirry ensimmäiseen lukemattomaan viestiin

pboling

lukematon,
8.12.2006 klo 11.34.028.12.2006
vastaanottaja Ruby on Rails: Core
The Microsoft webserver, IIS, is finally implementing FastCGI for
versions 5.1, 6, and 7. Zend (the PHP people) are working with MS to
get PHP supported, and PHP5 is supported in the technical preview
release out now:
http://www.iis.net/default.aspx?tabid=1000051

Would it be possible for someone on the core team to contact Mike
Volodarsky:
http://mvolo.com/2006/11/17/while-you-were-out-.aspx?results=1
to discuss getting this working on RoR.

Mike has already said getting RoR compatibility is one of his goals:
http://forums.iis.net/ShowThread.aspx?PostID=1448886&PermaPostID=1449597#1449597

But it doesn't seem to be working at the moment with Ruby:
http://forums.iis.net/ShowThread.aspx?PostID=1448886&PermaPostID=1449312#1449312

If RoR could run as easily on IIS servers as it does on mongrel and
webrick, or even apache and lighttpd, then it would be a huge boon to
the community. I don't know enough about ruby or Windows to be of any
help personally <newb> but I am hoping someone out there does!

Primary benefit to me (and many others on blogs/forums I've read) of
getting RoR on IIS:
Single Sign On through Active Directory or NTLM. If a user has logged
into their Windows machine, then they are automatically logged into
internal company webapps, bypassing the login screen. This is a
requirement in the design spec of the apps I am building.

Thanks,
Peter

Josh Knowles

lukematon,
8.12.2006 klo 11.41.318.12.2006
vastaanottaja rubyonra...@googlegroups.com

On 12/8/06, pboling <peter....@gmail.com> wrote:
Would it be possible for someone on the core team to contact Mike
Volodarsky:
http://mvolo.com/2006/11/17/while-you-were-out-.aspx?results=1
to discuss getting this working on RoR.

I have talked to Mike about this previously, and he emailed me a week or so back and asked if I'd had a chance to check out the latest builds, I will make sure to follow up with him and pass on your request and get him more engaged with our community.

Josh

--
Josh Knowles
joshk...@gmail.com

Peter Boling

lukematon,
8.12.2006 klo 12.11.228.12.2006
vastaanottaja Ruby on Rails: Core
Awesome! It's good to know you were already working on it! I hope
this topic gets more exposure, because IIS is the standard at the
office, and I want to use Rails at the office.

Peter

Mike Volodarsky

lukematon,
8.12.2006 klo 14.20.518.12.2006
vastaanottaja Ruby on Rails: Core
Josh, I am looking forward to your email. We are picking up momentum
in trying to get other frameworks onboard the FastCGI train, but
unfortunately having some issues with Ruby due to our lack of
experience with it. Your help will be instrumental in getting RoR
running on Windows better - not every day an opportunity like this
comes along :)

Anyway, bounce me an email and we'll chat about it.

Mike

P.S. Peter, thanks for being proactive!

ryan...@gmail.com

lukematon,
14.12.2006 klo 15.19.0914.12.2006
vastaanottaja Ruby on Rails: Core
Is there further discussion on this topic happening in a different
forum or a site that is showing status and existing issues with the RoR
on IIS with FastCGI? I've been looking for a solid solution to this
problem for a few months as I'm looking at transitioning to RoR but
have the limitation of having to use IIS for the webserver. So, if you
guys get this working, it will be much appreciated by me.

Thanks!

Ryan

Brian Hogan

lukematon,
15.12.2006 klo 10.57.4115.12.2006
vastaanottaja rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
@Ryan:

Contact me directly.. I can point you to some materials I wrote. I currently deploy lots of apps behind IIS using various techniques. None of them are 'built in' but I'm investigating this new method right now.

Anyone else interested can contact me as well - don't want to hijack this thread.

Ryan Prellwitz

lukematon,
15.12.2006 klo 11.03.3115.12.2006
vastaanottaja rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Brian. Are you working on RoR using FastCGI or using Mongrel.
My environment is (very unfortunately) limited to a strict IIS
environment without allowing Mongrel to sit behind IIS, so I'm really
interested in the FastCGI alternative. Thanks for responding and for
your help.

-Ryan

Brian Hogan

lukematon,
15.12.2006 klo 12.14.2115.12.2006
vastaanottaja rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
@Ryan:

I am running it behind IIS using mongrel or Apache or *gasp* even Lighttpd on Linux.  I'm not entirely sure why you are limited to IIS only... Mongrel runs very nicely as a Windows NT service. That's unfortunate. You'll have to try to convince them otherwise; trust me... it can be done :)

bheinz

lukematon,
22.12.2006 klo 5.36.3722.12.2006
vastaanottaja Ruby on Rails: Core
Until MS fixes the issues with their isapi_fcgi.dll for Ruby, you can
take a look at my Ruby On Rails For IIS Fast-CGI installer hosted on MS
new open source site...

http://www.codeplex.com/RORIIS

Thanks,

> ------=_Part_176646_33402093.1166202861097
>
> @Ryan:<br><br>I am running it behind IIS using mongrel or Apache or *gasp* even Lighttpd on Linux.&nbsp; I'm not entirely sure why you are limited to IIS only... Mongrel runs very nicely as a Windows NT service. That's unfortunate. You'll have to try to convince them otherwise; trust me... it can be done :)
>
> ------=_Part_176646_33402093.1166202861097--

Mike Volodarsky

lukematon,
26.12.2006 klo 19.45.1826.12.2006
vastaanottaja Ruby on Rails: Core
Do any of you know whether the Ruby installation includes a
FastCGI-compliant executable? This is necessary in order to
interoperate with any FastCGI server over the FastCGI protocol
(http://www.fastcgi.com/devkit/doc/fcgi-spec.html).

So far, it doesnt appear that Ruby.exe or Rubyw.exe are it - although
maybe they require some command line switches or environment variables
to kick into FastCGI mode.

This appears to be the last blocking factor for us to get Ruby going
with the FastCGI support we are building
(http://www.iis.net/default.aspx?tabid=1000051).

Any information much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

On Dec 22, 2:36 am, "bheinz" <brent.he...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Until MS fixes the issues with their isapi_fcgi.dll for Ruby, you can
> take a look at my Ruby On Rails For IIS Fast-CGI installer hosted on MS
> new open source site...
>
> http://www.codeplex.com/RORIIS
>
> Thanks,
>

> Brian Hogan wrote:
> > @Ryan:
>
> > I am running it behind IIS using mongrel or Apache or *gasp* even Lighttpd
> > on Linux. I'm not entirely sure why you are limited to IIS only... Mongrel
> > runs very nicely as a Windows NT service. That's unfortunate. You'll have to
> > try to convince them otherwise; trust me... it can be done :)
>

> > On 12/15/06, Ryan Prellwitz <ryanp...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Thanks Brian. Are you working on RoR using FastCGI or using Mongrel.
> > > My environment is (very unfortunately) limited to a strict IIS
> > > environment without allowing Mongrel to sit behind IIS, so I'm really
> > > interested in the FastCGI alternative. Thanks for responding and for
> > > your help.
>
> > > -Ryan

> > > currently
> > > are

> > > this

> > > RoR
> > > you

> > ------=_Part_176646_33402093.1166202861097
>
> > @Ryan:<br><br>I am running it behind IIS using mongrel or Apache or *gasp* even Lighttpd on Linux.&nbsp; I'm not entirely sure why you are limited to IIS only... Mongrel runs very nicely as a Windows NT service. That's unfortunate. You'll have to try to convince them otherwise; trust me... it can be done :)

> > ------=_Part_176646_33402093.1166202861097--- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

ryan...@gmail.com

lukematon,
27.12.2006 klo 9.45.5527.12.2006
vastaanottaja Ruby on Rails: Core
This wiki thread may be of some use to you:
http://wiki.rubygarden.org/Ruby/page/show/UsingRubyFastCGI

Do you need to be using a FastCGI dispatcher like: ?
http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/ruby-cgi/

This is how RoR/Apache2/FastCGI is done, which may be worth looking at:
http://blog.inlet-media.de/the-perfect-ruby-on-rails-with-apache2-and-fastcgi-setup-on-debian-sarge

Hope this helps...

-Ryan

Peter Boling

lukematon,
31.1.2007 klo 15.54.4031.1.2007
vastaanottaja Ruby on Rails: Core
Supposedly the newest release of Microsoft's FastCGI, which is now at
Technical Preview 2, has experimental ruby support.
http://mvolo.com/blogs/serverside/archive/2007/01/31/Turbo_2D00_charge-your-PHP-applications-with-IIS-FastCGI-Technical-Preview-2.aspx

(Look near the bottom of the post for the bit about ruby and the
promise for more to come!)

Thanks Mike and IIS team!

Brian Hogan

lukematon,
31.1.2007 klo 22.59.0931.1.2007
vastaanottaja rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Shhh! You're not supposed to be telling anyone about that yet.

Mike Volodarsky

lukematon,
20.2.2007 klo 12.13.2320.2.2007
vastaanottaja Ruby on Rails: Core
Well, what good would "experimental support" be if noone knows how to
"experiment" with it :) So, I finally found some time to document the
steps necessary to get Ruby on Rails running with the FastCGI TP2
release: http://mvolo.com/blogs/serverside/archive/2007/02/18/10-steps-to-get-Ruby-on-Rails-running-on-Windows-with-IIS-FastCGI.aspx.

I would love for you guys to try this out, and let us know of any
issues you find.

Also, thanks go to Brian for helping out with lots of RoR questions I
had while investigating FastCGI support for it ...

Looking forward to your feedback!

Mike
IIS Team

On Jan 31, 7:59 pm, "Brian Hogan" <bpho...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Shhh! You're not supposed to be telling anyone about that yet.
>

> On 1/31/07, Peter Boling <peter.bol...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Supposedly the newest release of Microsoft's FastCGI, which is now at
> > Technical Preview 2, has experimental ruby support.
>

> >http://mvolo.com/blogs/serverside/archive/2007/01/31/Turbo_2D00_charg...

> > (Look near the bottom of the post for the bit about ruby and the
> > promise for more to come!)
>

> > Thanks Mike and IIS team!- Hide quoted text -

Vastaa kaikille
Vastaa kirjoittajalle
Välitä
0 uutta viestiä