Why don't enable auto-reconnect while database connection lost?

sishen

May 13, 2008, 8:13:50 AM5/13/08
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Hi.

Sorry for raise an old issue. I have seen the ticket in trac but no answers found.

My database is mysql and when it's idle for a long time, the connection lost and raise some exception.

I have read the mysql_adapter.rb and find it hasn't used the reconnect policy which is allowed by the Mysql Binding.

So why don't enable this feature?  Is this a design choice?

I think if we allow to set "reconnect: true" in the database.yml, the thing will be better.

Maybe i miss something, thanks for your all advice.

Best regards.

sishen

sishen

May 16, 2008, 3:03:23 AM5/16/08
to Ruby on Rails: Core
Should I submit a patch about this? Thanks.

Courtenay

May 16, 2008, 3:06:40 AM5/16/08
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
afaik Rails runs

 ActiveRecord::Base.verify_active_connections!

before each request.  Is this broken?

sishen

May 16, 2008, 3:21:02 AM5/16/08
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
How will this work?  Is this like the before_filter for each connection?

I prefer this logic:

begin
   connection.query(xx)
rescue StatementInvalid
   reconnect
end

I suppose the mysql reconnect policy follow this way but i'm not sure, :)

Ryan Bigg (Radar)

May 16, 2008, 3:24:18 AM5/16/08
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
From what I call, Rails does not lose a connection when a StatementInvalid error is thrown.

Can you prove this in a test?

Sorry if I misunderstood your original post, it isn't very clear.

sishen

May 16, 2008, 5:29:51 AM5/16/08
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Sorry. I haven't described it well. I use AR only in my app.

The default live time of mysql connection is 8 hours. When the connection is idle for longer than that time, the exception throws.

I think there should be a reconnect policy to auto connect to the server when connection is lost, especially the mysql binding support that, right?

Michael Koziarski

May 16, 2008, 8:15:40 PM5/16/08
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
> I think there should be a reconnect policy to auto connect to the server
> when connection is lost, especially the mysql binding support that, right?

Yeah, rails applications will do this transparently. We don't want
to have a solution that only works with mysql when the current one
works for all our supported databases.

--
Cheers

Koz

Jeremy McAnally

May 17, 2008, 7:54:20 PM5/17/08
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
I actually had 3 different people come up to me at MySQLConf and tell
me their AR connections were dropping like this and not reconnecting.
It might be something you want to check into (though I don't think
there's a verifiable way to test it).

I'll try to find out more information from those guys if I can find
their cards...

--Jeremy

--
http://jeremymcanally.com/
http://entp.com

Read my books:
Ruby in Practice (http://manning.com/mcanally/)
My free Ruby e-book (http://humblelittlerubybook.com/)

Or, my blogs:
http://mrneighborly.com
http://rubyinpractice.com

Pratik

May 17, 2008, 7:56:13 PM5/17/08
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
The catch is, if someone is running AR in daemonized env. outside
actionpack, they gotta call verify_active_connections! manually.

--
Cheers!
- Pratik

Courtenay

May 18, 2008, 1:02:42 AM5/18/08
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
AR connections timeout and drop, that's how it is. Rails fixes this in a filter. I believe it's documented.

That's why on our tt AIM bot I have to verify connections before each access (but you knew that, jeremy :P ).    As lifo says.

Michael Koziarski

May 18, 2008, 2:03:08 AM5/18/08
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
> AR connections timeout and drop, that's how it is. Rails fixes this in a
> filter. I believe it's documented.
> That's why on our tt AIM bot I have to verify connections before each access
> (but you knew that, jeremy :P ). As lifo says.

Having said that, there's no reason why the adapter *couldn't* support
a reconnect option, if it's in the mysql client lib. I'd be happy to
take patches for it.

However I certainly wouldn't want to roll our own reconnect-on-error
thing, retrying sql statements is a great way to lose friends and
invalidate data.

--
Cheers

Koz