Performance improvement patch for Rails 2.3.x + Ruby 1.9.2

KIR

Apr 20, 2011, 4:56:36 PM4/20/11
to Ruby on Rails: Core
Hello,

Recently I've started migrating my application (Rails 2.3.11) to
Ruby 1.9.2. When I run my performance tests, I found performance
degradation when associations are preloaded for many records. After
profiling, I made a change which noticeably lessen the pain - the fix
is rather simple and I'd appreciate if someone would review it:

https://rails.lighthouseapp.com/projects/8994-ruby-on-rails/tickets/6726

Thanks,
KIR

Aaron Patterson

Apr 21, 2011, 11:08:32 AM4/21/11
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 01:56:36PM -0700, KIR wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Recently I've started migrating my application (Rails 2.3.11) to
> Ruby 1.9.2. When I run my performance tests, I found performance
> degradation when associations are preloaded for many records. After
> profiling, I made a change which noticeably lessen the pain - the fix
> is rather simple and I'd appreciate if someone would review it:

We're only supporting 3.0.x and up. We'll release 2.3.x for critical
security issues only.

I suggest starting the upgrade to 3.0.x and fixing the perf problem
there (if it still exists).

Thanks!

--
Aaron Patterson
http://tenderlovemaking.com/

Ken Collins

Apr 21, 2011, 11:10:43 AM4/21/11
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com

Wait a minute. I thought rails 2.3 was always advertised as 1.9.2 compatible? If so and just because there is a newer version that is also targeted for 1.9.2, should not mean that 1.9.2 tickets for 2-3-stable should be disregarded? Right? Maybe?

- Ken

KIR

Apr 21, 2011, 12:03:02 PM4/21/11
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
>    Recently I've started migrating my application (Rails 2.3.11) to
> Ruby 1.9.2. When I run my performance tests, I found performance
> degradation when associations are preloaded for many records. After
> profiling, I made a change which noticeably lessen the pain - the fix
> is rather simple and I'd appreciate if someone would review it:

We're only supporting 3.0.x and up.  We'll release 2.3.x for critical
security issues only.

I suggest starting the upgrade to 3.0.x and fixing the perf problem
there (if it still exists).

   This problem doesn't affect 3.0.x users, I've already looked at the code.

   Anyway, this patch may help someone looking at the similar problem.

   Thanks,
   KIR

Thanks!

--
Aaron Patterson
http://tenderlovemaking.com/

--

Kirill (KIR) Maximov

Software Engineer & Starter

Email:         k...@checkvist.com

Twitter:       maxkir

Skype:        maxkir

Web site:    http://checkvist.com

                  http://kirblog.idetalk.com

                  http://www.jetbrains.com/teamcity

Gonçalo Silva

Apr 21, 2011, 12:11:52 PM4/21/11
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
A performance flaw is still a flaw. This should be applied to 2.3.X.