Dependencies Quirk

Frederick Cheung

Apr 9, 2008, 4:04:54 PM4/9/08
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
I noticed the following today

I've a module SecuritySystem::SecretsProxy.
SecuritySystem::SecretsProxy::AnyConstant evaluates to AnyConstant (as
long as AnyConstant is something Dependencies can load but is not
loaded yet), even though AnyConstant isn't defined at that level. The
second time you evaluate SecuritySystem::SecretsProxy::AnyConstant
then you get a NameError as I expected to get in the first place.

When load_missing_constant is called (to find AnyConstant inside
SecuritySystem::SecretsProxy) it does check whether any of its parents
defined AnyConstant (precisely so that
SecuritySystem::SecretsProxy::AnyConstant cannot find ::AnyConstant.
However in the edge case I describe AnyConstant has not been loaded at
all and so this check does nothing.

I think this is slightly unhelpful behaviour (I certainly spent some
time scratching my head as a result of it, the fact that it didn't
occur in development because of the the reloading that goes on made it
even more interesting). I've done a little playing around to see if I
could catch this and raise a more helpful NameError but can't (at
least not after half an hour's fiddling) come up with something that
correctly identifies this situation.

Am I flogging a dead horse or does anyone have a bright idea/ helpful
insight into this?

Fred

Xavier Noria

Apr 9, 2008, 5:16:05 PM4/9/08
On Apr 9, 2008, at 22:04 , Frederick Cheung wrote:

> I've a module SecuritySystem::SecretsProxy.
> SecuritySystem::SecretsProxy::AnyConstant evaluates to AnyConstant (as
> long as AnyConstant is something Dependencies can load but is not
> loaded yet), even though AnyConstant isn't defined at that level. The
> second time you evaluate SecuritySystem::SecretsProxy::AnyConstant
> then you get a NameError as I expected to get in the first place.

From the description I am not sure I understand the setup. Frederick
would you please send a minimal example to be able to reproduce it?

-- fxn

Frederick Cheung

Apr 10, 2008, 4:32:57 AM4/10/08
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com

Sure. From an empty rails app (or not), create in
lib/any_constant.rb:
class AnyConstant
end
in lib/my_lib/my_module.rb
module MyLib
module MyModule
end
end

Now from script/console:

>> MyLib::MyModule::AnyConstant
=> AnyConstant
but try it a second time
>> MyLib::MyModule::AnyConstant
NameError: uninitialized constant MyLib::MyModule::AnyConstant
from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.0.2/lib/
active_support/dependencies.rb:266:in `load_missing_constant'
from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.0.2/lib/
active_support/dependencies.rb:453:in `const_missing'
from (irb):3

Fred

Xavier Noria

Apr 10, 2008, 8:50:07 AM4/10/08
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com

Thank you!

This smells like a bug to me. From what I remember the intention of
the implementation of dependencies.rb is to create intermediate
modules as needed, and dynamically put the constants where they belong.

So (talking from memory) I'd expect the first const_missing to fail.
I'll have a llok at it it.

-- fxn

Xavier Noria

Apr 12, 2008, 7:35:18 PM4/12/08
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
On Apr 9, 2008, at 22:04 , Frederick Cheung wrote:

const_missing calls one way or another someting like

Dependencies.load_missing_constant(self, const_name)

which is the single entry point to dependencies.rb.

I think the key point is that the current approach to autoloading
cannot distinguish

module M
CONSTANT_TO_AUTOLOAD
end

from

M::CONSTANT_TO_AUTOLOAD

The second use case is less flexible than the first one because
there's no doubt that if there's any CONSTANT_TO_AUTOLOAD to look for
it should be defined in some m/constant_to_autoload.rb. It should be a
constant named "CONSTANT_TO_AUTOLOAD" that would belong to some module
with at least basename "M". That can't end falling back
to ::CONSTANT_TO_AUTOLOAD.

But as you noticed that's what it does in the second use case. For
example, given

app/models/admin
lib/user.rb

a few added traces show that dependencies.rb looks for Admin::User
this way:

$ script/runner 'puts Admin::User'
1) Class#const_missing for Object::Admin
2) Module#const_missing for Object::Admin
3) Module#const_missing for Admin::User
4) Class#const_missing for Object::User
5) Module#const_missing for Object::User
6) User

The Admin module is defined on-the-fly after 2). 3) fails resolving
admin/user.rb because it does not exist. And then instead of halting
it still finds user.rb and define User in Object. In my opinion this
behaviour is wrong.

But it would be right if we had written instead

$ script/runner 'module Admin; User; end'

because you are here kind of emulating the lexical side of constant
name resolution.

The bad news are that from within dependencies.rb I see no way at 1:34
AM to distinguish both use cases. As a quick thought I believe you'd
need to be able to know what's Module.nesting in the caller.

Hmmm.

-- fxn

Xavier Noria

Apr 13, 2008, 5:12:01 AM4/13/08
On Apr 13, 2008, at 1:35 , Xavier Noria wrote:

> M::CONSTANT_TO_AUTOLOAD
>
> The second use case is less flexible than the first one because
> there's no doubt that if there's any CONSTANT_TO_AUTOLOAD to look
> for it should be defined in some m/constant_to_autoload.rb. It
> should be a constant named "CONSTANT_TO_AUTOLOAD" that would belong
> to some module with at least basename "M".

Just for the archives: I forgot a "conventionally" there or something
like that. Technically the basename of the class or module under the M
in M::CONSTANT_TO_AUTOLOAD may not be "M". For example this way:

module X; end
M = X
M::CONSTANT_TO_AUTOLOAD

There the (base)name of the module under M is "X".

-- fxn

Frederick Cheung

Apr 13, 2008, 6:38:18 AM4/13/08

On 13 Apr 2008, at 00:35, Xavier Noria wrote:
> I think the key point is that the current approach to autoloading
> cannot distinguish
>
> module M
> CONSTANT_TO_AUTOLOAD
> end
>
> from
>
> M::CONSTANT_TO_AUTOLOAD

Hi Xavier,

Thanks for looking into this. I agree that this is the crux of the
matter and couldn't figure out anything either :-)

Fred