gem install staticmatic ...... file exists?

Charles Roper

Oct 6, 2009, 3:32:16 AM10/6/09
to rubyin...@googlegroups.com
Is this an issue with the gem or with mingw Ruby?

C:\>gem install staticmatic --version 0.10.4
ERROR: While executing gem ... (Errno::EEXIST)
File exists -
C:/Users/charlesr/Tools/Ruby/Ruby186/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/staticmatic-0.10.4/spec/sandbox/test_site/site/sub_folder/another_sub_folder

gem install staticmatic --version 0.10.1 works fine. I am in contact
with the author, but I thought it prudent to check with you guys here
to see if you had any thoughts.

Cheers,
Charles

Luis Lavena

Oct 6, 2009, 3:35:44 AM10/6/09
to rubyin...@googlegroups.com

Seems to me that the gem spec is broken or empty:

http://pastie.org/643377

No files, test files or executables...

--
Luis Lavena
AREA 17

Charles Roper

Oct 6, 2009, 8:12:19 AM10/6/09
to rubyin...@googlegroups.com
On 06/10/2009 08:35, Luis Lavena wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 9:32 AM, Charles Roper
> <rea...@charlesroper.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Is this an issue with the gem or with mingw Ruby?
>>
>> C:\>gem install staticmatic --version 0.10.4
>> ERROR: While executing gem ... (Errno::EEXIST)
>> File exists -
>> C:/Users/charlesr/Tools/Ruby/Ruby186/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/staticmatic-0.10.4/spec/sandbox/test_site/site/sub_folder/another_sub_folder

I did a bit more digging and it seems something weird going on at line
79 of the following:

http://pastie.org/643567

Contained within
staticmatic-0.10.4.gem\data.tar.gz\data.tar\spec\sandbox\test_site\site\sub_folder\
there are the following:

another_sub_folder <<-- folder
another_sub_folder. <<-- file
index.html

Seems that Windows creates the file but doesn't create it with a dot on
the end; therefore, the folder cannot subsequently be created because it
has exactly the same name as the file. I can't manually extract the gem
archive on Windows either - I get a similar 'file already exists' error.

Is there a standard cross-platform way of doing what is being attempted
here?

Cheers,
Charles

Luis Lavena

Oct 6, 2009, 2:29:38 PM10/6/09
to rubyin...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 2:12 PM, Charles Roper
<rea...@charlesroper.co.uk> wrote:
> [...]

> I did a bit more digging and it seems something weird going on at line 79 of
> the following:
>
> http://pastie.org/643567
>
> Contained within
> staticmatic-0.10.4.gem\data.tar.gz\data.tar\spec\sandbox\test_site\site\sub_folder\
> there are the following:
>
> another_sub_folder     <<-- folder
> another_sub_folder.    <<-- file
> index.html

A dot is not part of a filename, neither from a extension. The
free-form filename convention of *nix is not cross-platform friendly.

> Seems that Windows creates the file but doesn't create it with a dot on the
> end; therefore, the folder cannot subsequently be created because it has
> exactly the same name as the file. I can't manually extract the gem archive
> on Windows either - I get a similar 'file already exists' error.
>
> Is there a standard cross-platform way of doing what is being attempted
> here?

Don't use a dot as part of the testing?

And if is a testing sandbox, why don't generate it instead?

I know is that my answer do not provide a solution since I don't know
the purpose of those files and folders, perhaps a specific test?