IMPORTANT: RubyInstaller drops support for 1.8.6 and 1.9.1

Luis Lavena

Feb 19, 2011, 5:11:01 PM2/19/11
to rubyin...@googlegroups.com, Ruby Talk
Hello,

Yesterday 1.9.1 and 1.8.6, along with 1.8.7 and 1.9.2 received a
security update (newer patchlevel).

Last night I had both RubyInstaller 1.9.2 and 1.8.7 releases ready,
but a glitch with internet made me impossible to upload them, so end
posting them today.

I've sent announcements of these two releases, but there is no 1.9.1
or 1.8.6 releases planned.

The reason is simple: maintain 4 different versions is too much, not
to mention the confusion it raises to newcomers access our download
page and find 4 different versions to download.

Added to that, while waiting for uploads to complete, noticed latest
1.9.1 fails to compile and 1.8.6 requires GCC 3.4.5, which is not
advertised anymore on the website or by our Development Kit
instructions. RubyGems has already dropped support for 1.8.6, so
RubyGems 1.5.2 or greater will not work with it.

Because of that, I decided to move 1.9.1 to the archives category and
soon 1.8.6 will follow.

Users of 1.8.6 concerned by the security vulnerabilities have the
option to upgrade to 1.8.7. Today, compared with 2 years ago, 1.8.7
and the support in gems and projects has increased greatly.

I personally no longer have any server or application running on
1.8.6, all of them, including a Rails 1.2.6 application have been
upgraded to Ruby 1.8.7 (with some patches)

As you might know, RubyInstaller project is driven by community
effort, so anyone that wants to maintain 1.8.6 can raise their hands
and build it with our recipes.

Like Ruby-Core did (delegating Ruby 1.8.6 to EngineYard), I would
gladly provide instructions and assistance on getting environment
setup to build these installers, as long the developer is willing to
assist users in support-related issues.

Wanted to get this out so is clear that the efforts of RubyInstaller
are now concentrated on 1.8.7 stability, 1.9.2 correctness and 1.9.3
(trunk) improvements.

Thank you for your time.
--
Luis Lavena
AREA 17

Charley Baker

Feb 27, 2011, 4:33:36 PM2/27/11
to RubyInstaller
Hey all,

I just remembered this post, and definitely think it's a good idea
to limit the support to 1.9.2 and 1.8.7. I'm considering/hoping, to do
the same for some of the projects I'm involved in. I took a look at
the RubyInstaller page today and saw 1.8.6 still listed on the home
page. If we're going this route, then the older 1.8.6 releases should
be relegated to the archives section only. Just a thought.

Cheers,

Charley

On Feb 19, 3:11 pm, Luis Lavena <luislav...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Yesterday 1.9.1 and1.8.6, along with 1.8.7 and 1.9.2 received a
> security update (newer patchlevel).
>
> Last night I had both RubyInstaller 1.9.2 and 1.8.7 releases ready,
> but a glitch with internet made me impossible to upload them, so end
> posting them today.
>
> I've sent announcements of these two releases, but there is no 1.9.1
> or1.8.6releases planned.
>
> The reason is simple: maintain 4 different versions is too much, not
> to mention the confusion it raises to newcomers access our download
> page and find 4 different versions to download.
>
> Added to that, while waiting for uploads to complete, noticed latest
> 1.9.1 fails to compile and1.8.6requires GCC 3.4.5, which is not
> advertised anymore on the website or by our Development Kit
> instructions. RubyGems has already dropped support for1.8.6, so
> RubyGems 1.5.2 or greater will not work with it.
>
> Because of that, I decided to move 1.9.1 to the archives category and
> soon1.8.6will follow.
>
> Users of1.8.6concerned by the security vulnerabilities have the
> option to upgrade to 1.8.7. Today, compared with 2 years ago, 1.8.7
> and the support in gems and projects has increased greatly.
>
> I personally no longer have any server or application running on1.8.6, all of them, including a Rails 1.2.6 application have been
> upgraded to Ruby 1.8.7 (with some patches)
>
> As you might know, RubyInstaller project is driven by community
> effort, so anyone that wants to maintain1.8.6can raise their hands
> and build it with our recipes.
>
> Like Ruby-Core did (delegating Ruby1.8.6to EngineYard), I would

Luis Lavena

Feb 27, 2011, 4:36:59 PM2/27/11
to rubyin...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 6:33 PM, Charley Baker <charle...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
>   I just remembered this post, and definitely think it's a good idea
> to limit the support to 1.9.2 and 1.8.7. I'm considering/hoping, to do
> the same for some of the projects I'm involved in. I took a look at
> the RubyInstaller page today and saw 1.8.6 still listed on the home
> page. If we're going this route, then the older 1.8.6 releases should
> be relegated to the archives section only. Just a thought.

Thank you Charley for your words.

1.8.6 hasn't been moved to Archives yet because I needed to update the
MD5 signatures and was too busy between the security releases of 1.8.7
and 1.9.2

I'm doing that right now but wanted to mention the actions first in the list.

Regards,