ruby-odbc on 1.9.2

Dong

Aug 21, 2010, 5:39:16 PM8/21/10
to RubyInstaller
Hi

It is so great to see the release of 1.9.2 installer, great work!

I installed 1.9.2 using the 7z package, and then installed Dev kit.
but, I am having problems install ruby-odbc.

I have tried
gem install ruby-odbc --platform=ruby --no-rdoc --no-ri

also tried build the gem from source, and install from there.

both times, gave me a lot of errors, I can post it if you need to see
it.

Has anybody got ruby-odbc installed on 1.9.2?

Thanks
Dong

Dušan Majkić

Aug 21, 2010, 6:00:58 PM8/21/10
to rubyin...@googlegroups.com
> Has anybody got ruby-odbc installed on 1.9.2?

It is using STR2CSTR macro which seems to be deprecated in 1.8 and now removed.

The author should change source code to comply with 1.9.2.

Luis Lavena

Aug 21, 2010, 6:01:22 PM8/21/10
to rubyin...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 6:39 PM, Dong <dongdon...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi

Hello,

> I installed 1.9.2 using the 7z package, and then installed Dev kit.
> but, I am having problems install ruby-odbc.
>
> I have tried
> gem install ruby-odbc --platform=ruby --no-rdoc --no-ri
>
> also tried build the gem from source, and install from there.

When reporting errors, please try to provide as much as debug
information as possible; that means complete debug output or perhaps
invocation of the command with --debug or -V

> both times, gave me a lot of errors, I can post it if you need to see
> it.
>
> Has anybody got ruby-odbc installed on 1.9.2?

I would suggest check with ruby-odbc developers its compatibility with 1.9.x

I haven't personally used odbc for more than 8 years, and never Ruby
ODBC module :-P
--
Luis Lavena
AREA 17

Boško Ivanišević

Aug 22, 2010, 4:53:50 AM8/22/10
to rubyin...@googlegroups.com
Which version of ruby-odbc you tried? Last time I tried to install it on 1.9.2 there was an error in extconf.rb with missing:

if ! defined? PLATFORM
  PLATFORM = RUBY_PLATFORM
end

but  author fixed it as soon as I sent him a patch.

--
Regards,
Boško Ivanišević

Boško Ivanišević

Aug 22, 2010, 5:54:01 AM8/22/10
to rubyin...@googlegroups.com
2010/8/22 Boško Ivanišević <bosko.iv...@gmail.com>
Just tried to install ruby-odbc in 1.9.2 and, as Dušan wrote, STR2CSTR does not exist in 1.9.2. On 1.9.1 ruby-odbc still installs without problem.

So, the only solution is to send a note to the author. Unfortunately he doesn't keep ruby-odbc code on github. Last time I asked him (just before he released version 0.9999) he didn't have time to move code to GitHub but maybe he does have it now so you should suggest him to do so too.

--
Regards,
Boško Ivanišević

Dong

Aug 22, 2010, 9:16:12 AM8/22/10
to RubyInstaller
The Rails SQLServer Adapter developers ran into the same problem, and
has contacted the developer of ruby-odbc.
http://groups.google.com/group/rails-sqlserver-adapter/browse_thread/thread/88f97f0366ab222e?fwc=1

He has released a fixed copy at
http://www.ch-werner.de/rubyodbc/ruby-odbc-0.99992pre3.tar.gz

which installs fine on 1.9.2