gem install return Errno::ENOENT

jcangas

Feb 10, 2010, 6:06:02 PM2/10/10
to RubyInstaller
Hi Luis and rest of the team: thanks a lot for your great work. I
installed ruby with the 1.8.7 RC2 installer. Instalation works fine,
but any intent of
gem install xxxxx

fails with

ERROR: While executing gem ... (Errno::ENOENT)
No such file or directory - C:/Documents and Settings/jcangas

Is clear that my user folder this exist sure!, and is writable so I
I'm very confused. I can install any gem so it is a very fustrating
problem

skim

Feb 10, 2010, 7:52:37 PM2/10/10
to RubyInstaller
Which operating system, 32-bit/64-bit?

Try following Luis's questions in this thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/rubyinstaller/browse_thread/thread/8a28251223d447f7

Luis Lavena

Feb 11, 2010, 3:47:57 AM2/11/10
to rubyin...@googlegroups.com

It is clear that is trying to install gems in a path with spaces.

Could you please indicate the real gem name instead of "xxxxx"?

There are no secrets here in the OpenSource community (even when we run Windows)

With that info and the pointer skim indicated to you, will be able to
help you better.

Regards,
--
Luis Lavena
AREA 17

jcangas

Feb 11, 2010, 11:39:15 AM2/11/10
to RubyInstaller
oh man, xxxx it is not a secret, of course!. With xxxx I mean *any*
gem I tried. In fact, I tried it for xxxx = rake, rails, bdoc, and
some like these: no secret here :)

Well, I solved the problem: created a new Windows user and voilà all
works fine. I m installing ruby because I just reinstalled Windos from
scratch, seem likes the problem was a bad type when I create the user
at first,(maybe an accute??), so the user name in console really is
not equal to the user in the shell. This is my theory: really I dont
get reproduce th problem, but I think new user working fine is a good
evidence ...

Anyway thanks you and skim for your time!