January 2011 meetup

Radamanthus Batnag

Jan 13, 2011, 3:12:54 AM1/13/11
to Philippine Ruby Users Group (PRUG/PhRUG)
Folks,

January 20, 2011
6:35pm - 9:00pm

Here's the venue for the meetup:
1st Floor, Conference Room, Tech Portal (near Figaro)
UP AyalaLand TechnoHub, Commonwealth Avenue
Diliman, Quezon City
Tech Portal building is beside the Restaurants, so its easy to locate.

Check out the attached maps.

Cheers,
rad

TechnoHub Map.jpg
TechnoHub UTurn.jpg

George Mendoza

Jan 13, 2011, 5:27:52 AM1/13/11
to ruby...@googlegroups.com
Hi everybody,

I'm feeling adventurous :D How can I get there from Victory Cubao? :)

Regards,
George Mendoza
Baguio

Bryan Bibat

Jan 13, 2011, 10:33:36 AM1/13/11
to ruby...@googlegroups.com
Easiest would be to take a north bound bus to Fairview (NOT Monumento/Munoz). Your stop would be the overpass to Technohub, which is the next stop after Philcoa. The conductor should know about this place (just ask to be dropped off), and if the sun's still up you should see this overpass somewhere between the "University of the Philippines" landmark and the Shell station. The modern looking buildings at the other side of the road are also hard to miss.

Taking a taxi might be easier but there's still the slight chance that the driver doesn't know the correct U-turn to take. I've heard of people overshooting up to Ever Gotesco while looking for the correct U-turn spot.

-bry
--
Bryan Bibat
Freelance Software Engineer

Erick Bajao

Jan 13, 2011, 12:18:54 PM1/13/11
to ruby...@googlegroups.com
U-turn spot's under the Tandang Sora fly-over.  See you there guys :)

Erick

Randell

Jan 13, 2011, 8:18:29 PM1/13/11
to ruby...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 11:33 PM, Bryan Bibat <b...@bryanbibat.net> wrote:
Easiest would be to take a north bound bus to Fairview (NOT Monumento/Munoz). Your stop would be the overpass to Technohub, which is the next stop after Philcoa. The conductor should know about this place (just ask to be dropped off), and if the sun's still up you should see this overpass somewhere between the "University of the Philippines" landmark and the Shell station. The modern looking buildings at the other side of the road are also hard to miss.

Taking a taxi might be easier but there's still the slight chance that the driver doesn't know the correct U-turn to take. I've heard of people overshooting up to Ever Gotesco while looking for the correct U-turn spot.

Funny, I'm one of those people.

Bryan Bibat

Jan 14, 2011, 12:13:45 AM1/14/11
to ruby...@googlegroups.com
Yup =)

Radamanthus Batnag

Jan 19, 2011, 2:05:09 AM1/19/11
to Philippine Ruby Users Group (PRUG/PhRUG)
Hi Folks,

We'll have four short talks in our meetup tomorrow:
1. Formtastic and Devise
2. Vagrant
3. Titanium
4. Corona SDK

The last one isn't really Ruby-related, but is something that many of
you might find interesting. It's a Mac-based tool for building iOS and
Android apps using Lua. It's in the new recently, thanks to a 14-year-
old kid who built a physics app that dethroned Angry Birds as the #1
Free App in the US AppStore (http://blog.anscamobile.com/2011/01/
bubble-ball-and-corona-sdk-in-the-news/).

We'll have pizza, chicken, drinks and beers thanks to our sponsor
Babypips.

See you all tomorrow!

rad
>  TechnoHub Map.jpg
> 184KViewDownload
>
>  TechnoHub UTurn.jpg
> 439KViewDownload

Katherine

Jan 19, 2011, 5:38:42 AM1/19/11
to ruby...@googlegroups.com
I want to go.  Too bad I can't.

I hope you guys discuss ReCaptcha + Devise.
I got it working but I had hide strange error messages (which are not even English. They are request errors).

https://gist.github.com/785984

If you know how to fix it on controller because I think what I did was ugly, let me know.
Also what's on the wiki is wrong. I'll help edit the wiki later.

-----
BridgeUtopia Web
http://blog.bridgeutopiaweb.com

George Mendoza

Jan 19, 2011, 9:08:18 PM1/19/11
to ruby...@googlegroups.com
Hi everybody,

I hope you guys have a good meetup today. Sorry, I also can't go. Too
much on my plate right now..

Slightly off-topic. I tried Devise but I find that it does too many
things for me. For example, I didn't like having to go through the
Devise documentation just so I can change the url for logging in. Am I
the only Rails developer left who prefers Authlogic's minimal,
model-centric approach to authentication?

Regards,
George

katz

Jan 19, 2011, 10:44:59 PM1/19/11
to ruby...@googlegroups.com
On 1/20/11 10:08 AM, George Mendoza wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I hope you guys have a good meetup today. Sorry, I also can't go. Too
> much on my plate right now..
>
> Slightly off-topic. I tried Devise but I find that it does too many
> things for me. For example, I didn't like having to go through the
> Devise documentation just so I can change the url for logging in. Am I
> the only Rails developer left who prefers Authlogic's minimal,
> model-centric approach to authentication?
>
> Regards,
> George
I used to like Authlogic until I encountered an issue on production. All
of my tests passed but when I tested on production, log in didn't work
which was puzzling.
Serious bug and I found that some developers also have encountered the
same issue with Rails 3.
So since then, I decided to use Devise for all Rails 3 projects.

Eumir Gaspar

Jan 19, 2011, 10:49:44 PM1/19/11
to ruby...@googlegroups.com
which bug is this? i used to have some bugs with authlogic too, the famous to_key bug. all you have to do is point it to one of the forks(they should actually just merge it to the original one though):

gem "authlogic", :git => 'git://github.com/odorcicd/authlogic.git', :branch => 'rails3'

i still havent used devise but i've heard it a lot. authlogic is still easy for me to use but we'll see later after the devise talk :)

fmagsipoc

Jan 20, 2011, 3:25:03 AM1/20/11
to Philippine Ruby Users Group (PRUG/PhRUG)
confirmed for brawl

Johann Vincent Paul Tagle

Jan 20, 2011, 5:00:11 AM1/20/11
to ruby...@googlegroups.com