[ruby-core:28355] [ANN] Toward rich diversity of Ruby development.

Urabe Shyouhei

Feb 27, 2010, 11:35:35 AM2/27/10
to ruby...@ruby-lang.org
A short announcement: thanks to some helps of GitHub people, I now have
http://github.com/ruby/ruby

The remaining problem is whether or not to call this an official mirror.

signature.asc

Yukihiro Matsumoto

Feb 27, 2010, 12:01:14 PM2/27/10
to ruby...@ruby-lang.org
Hi,

In message "Re: [ruby-core:28355] [ANN] Toward rich diversity of Ruby development."

on Sun, 28 Feb 2010 01:35:35 +0900, Urabe Shyouhei <shyo...@ruby-lang.org> writes:

|The remaining problem is whether or not to call this an official mirror.

Call it official. Now you have no more problem.

matz.

Jon

Feb 27, 2010, 12:01:49 PM2/27/10
to ruby...@ruby-lang.org
> A short announcement: thanks to some helps of GitHub people, I now have
> http://github.com/ruby/ruby

Great.

Those following along from git://github.com/shyouhei/ruby should immediately switch over to your new repo as you're not going to be maintaining both, correct?

Jon

Vladimir Sizikov

Feb 27, 2010, 12:07:22 PM2/27/10
to ruby...@ruby-lang.org
Hi,

Just FYI, we also have a git mirror at
http://github.com/rubyspec/matzruby and the big difference between the
two I see is that in case of rubyspec's mirror we have proper branches
and tags set, while in http://github.com/ruby/ruby both branches *and*
tags are mapped into git branches, which is a bit inconvenient, since
you end up with 242 branches and 0 tags.

If you think that having proper separation between tags and branches
in a manner we do in our git repo is beneficial, let me know, I'll
provide the details.

As for having one blessed official git repo of MRI, that's terrific!

Thanks,
--Vladimir

Urabe Shyouhei

Feb 27, 2010, 12:15:47 PM2/27/10
to ruby...@ruby-lang.org

Well a sad news is that shyouhei/ruby isn't a dual to ruby/ruby... Because when
I created shyouhei/ruby I wasn't used to git and github, some commits aren't
identical (in hashes) between those two repo. So if you've already edited your
local repo, you're wiser not to move. I won't stop updating shyouhei/ruby so
already-created forks should work fine. Sorry to put you to a trouble.

New forks should start from ruby/ruby of course.

signature.asc

Urabe Shyouhei

Feb 27, 2010, 12:30:00 PM2/27/10
to ruby...@ruby-lang.org
Vladimir Sizikov wrote:
> Hi,

Hi.

> Just FYI, we also have a git mirror at
> http://github.com/rubyspec/matzruby and the big difference between the
> two I see is that in case of rubyspec's mirror we have proper branches
> and tags set, while in http://github.com/ruby/ruby both branches *and*
> tags are mapped into git branches, which is a bit inconvenient, since
> you end up with 242 branches and 0 tags.

I assume this is because SVN tags are not directly mappable to git tags. Those
tags/* branches are made via ``git svn init --stdlayout'', so I suspect this is
the way it should be.

But yes, this is ugly. Should we move those branches into tags? I'm in
neutral on this point.

signature.asc

Eric Wong

Feb 27, 2010, 2:03:14 PM2/27/10
to ruby...@ruby-lang.org
Urabe Shyouhei <shyo...@ruby-lang.org> wrote:
> > Just FYI, we also have a git mirror at
> > http://github.com/rubyspec/matzruby and the big difference between the
> > two I see is that in case of rubyspec's mirror we have proper branches
> > and tags set, while in http://github.com/ruby/ruby both branches *and*
> > tags are mapped into git branches, which is a bit inconvenient, since
> > you end up with 242 branches and 0 tags.
>
> I assume this is because SVN tags are not directly mappable to git tags. Those
> tags/* branches are made via ``git svn init --stdlayout'', so I suspect this is
> the way it should be.

Correct, SVN tags don't map directly to git tags, so git svn makes SVN
tags into git branches by default.

> But yes, this is ugly. Should we move those branches into tags? I'm in
> neutral on this point.

Since Ruby project appears to never change tags, then yes.

New versions of git-svn (git >= 1.6.5) should be able to map SVN tags
into the refs/tags/* namespace (instead of refs/remotes/tags/*). Just
edit .git/config.

--
Eric Wong

Vladimir Sizikov

Feb 27, 2010, 2:14:44 PM2/27/10
to ruby...@ruby-lang.org
Hi,

We had the same problem initially, but it was solved with some
gitconfig magic, something like this:

[remote "origin"]
url = g...@github.com:rubyspec/matzruby.git
push = refs/remotes/trunk:refs/heads/trunk
push = refs/remotes/ruby_1_9_1:refs/heads/ruby_1_9_1
push = refs/remotes/mvm:refs/heads/mvm
push = refs/remotes/ruby_1_8:refs/heads/ruby_1_8
push = refs/remotes/ruby_1_8_7:refs/heads/ruby_1_8_7
push = refs/remotes/ruby_1_8_6:refs/heads/ruby_1_8_6
push = refs/remotes/ruby_1_8_5:refs/heads/ruby_1_8_5
push = refs/remotes/ruby_1_6:refs/heads/ruby_1_6
push = refs/remotes/ruby_1_4:refs/heads/ruby_1_4
push = refs/remotes/ruby_1_3:refs/heads/ruby_1_3
push = refs/remotes/tags/*:refs/tags/*

Adjusting the 'push' values it is possible to control where to push to.

On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 6:30 PM, Urabe Shyouhei <shyo...@ruby-lang.org> wrote:
> But yes, this is ugly.  Should we move those branches into tags?  I'm in
> neutral on this point.

Personally, I think that having separate proper branches and proper
tags seems to be pretty useful. There are only handful of important
branches and having them separated from countless and less-important
tags is good.

So that 'git branch -a' would print only important branches and 'git
tag -l' would print the tags.

Thanks,
--Vladimir

Aaron Patterson

Feb 27, 2010, 6:18:59 PM2/27/10
to ruby...@ruby-lang.org

Not true. Urabe will be flooded with pull requests. That sounds like a
problem to me. ;-)

--
Aaron Patterson
http://tenderlovemaking.com/

Urabe Shyouhei

Mar 2, 2010, 6:38:43 AM3/2/10
to ruby...@ruby-lang.org
Vladimir Sizikov wrote:
> Personally, I think that having separate proper branches and proper
> tags seems to be pretty useful. There are only handful of important
> branches and having them separated from countless and less-important
> tags is good.

Seems no one is against it, I've just moved those tags/* branches to real git
tags. Tell me if something is wrong.

signature.asc

Vladimir Sizikov

Mar 2, 2010, 6:44:30 AM3/2/10
to ruby...@ruby-lang.org
Excellent, now the repo is perfect :)

So, I guess, we could turn off the rubyspec's matzruby repository
after a while, and suggest users to use this official version.

Just one question: how often the repository is being updated?

Thanks,
--Vladimir

Urabe Shyouhei

Mar 2, 2010, 7:45:23 AM3/2/10
to ruby...@ruby-lang.org
Vladimir Sizikov wrote:
> Just one question: how often the repository is being updated?

It's cron-driven, once an hour now. But that's not smart -- maybe I should
write some git hooks someday.

signature.asc