Use without event machine?

jgeiger

Mar 4, 2009, 9:49:09 AM3/4/09
to AMQP
I'm wondering if it's possible to use this (or modify it) without
event machine. I'd like to use it as a replacement for my current
beanstalkd messaging system, but I'm running into issues with the
threading and callbacks with apache/passenger.

It seems to be a layer of complexity that I'm not sure I need right
now since the application is really meant for a single user to
distribute and process long running work chunks.

Aman Gupta

Mar 4, 2009, 2:34:47 PM3/4/09
to ruby...@googlegroups.com
AMQP was built specifically on top of EM and requires EM to work. It
should be possible to use EM with passenger, see
http://groups.google.com/group/ruby-amqp/msg/b20a0c96a3844b93. What
problems are you running into?

Also, Doug's been working on a synchronous client you could try:
http://github.com/dougbarth/amqp/commits/sync_mq

Finally, I'm curious why you decided to switch from beanstalkd?

Aman

jgeiger

Mar 5, 2009, 9:37:08 AM3/5/09
to AMQP
I'm playing around and things seem to be just off. I guess I'm coming
from SQS -> beanstalkd where I have a MessageQueue model that has a
get_message and a send_message. I can then swap out the backend as
needed. I can see the benefit of the async, but I had to move on to
another project before I could get it completely working.

I'm trying to move from beanstalkd because of the persistence. It's
working for what I need now, but I'm trying to find a message queue I
can use outside of EC2 on local servers for other projects, and just
wanted to play around with rabbitmq. I need something closer to XMPP
without being XMPP as well.