RPG Blog Carnival Logo Contest.

jonathan

Oct 6, 2008, 12:05:10 AM10/6/08
to rpgbloggers
Just for coverage... the RPG Blog Carnival Logo Contest has closed and
a winner has been announced. Check out the official announcement at
The Core Mechanic tomorrow morning 9:30AM.

In the meantime - if Madbrewlabs, Greywulf, or Reis O'Brien read this
google group - I need your snail mail postal addresses so I can mail
out the "You Rolled a NATURAL Twenty!" coupon books. They are in a
high-gloss, perferated edge finish - PDF just won't do.

The new 'official' logo for the contest is now decided by popular vote
to be this one:

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n187/firedice27/Geek%20Orthodox/RPGBlogCarnivalLogocopy.jpg

I'll update the schedule document to reflect this. Of course, people
could use whatever logo they want - or none at all - but hopefully we
can get some people participating in presenting this logo whenever
they post for the carnival or host one themselves.

ciao!

Questing GM

Oct 6, 2008, 1:19:32 AM10/6/08
to rpgbl...@googlegroups.com
Woohoo~! New Logo! I like!

madbr...@gmail.com

Oct 6, 2008, 3:22:38 PM10/6/08
to rpgbloggers
I did the "Reply to author" deal with my mailing address. Thanks for
running the contest and giving out prizes!

Michael Brewer
MadBrewLabs

Stuart Broz

Oct 6, 2008, 3:27:20 PM10/6/08
to rpgbl...@googlegroups.com
The art on that logo looks... ummm... familiar.

- Stuart
http://neitherworldstories.blogspot.com

jonathan

Oct 7, 2008, 8:20:58 AM10/7/08
to rpgbloggers
hmmm...

Did Reis (Geek Orthodox blogger) take it from someplace else and then
mashed it up in photoshop? Very possible... so, if thats the case,
does anyone know who the original artist is? Or where this artwork, in
its orginal form, appeared? For some reason I can't place it...

If possible - I'll contact the artist and try to get 'official'
permission to reuse the art for the carnival.

On Oct 6, 3:27 pm, "Stuart Broz" <zorbtra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The art on that logo looks... ummm... familiar.
>
> - Stuarthttp://neitherworldstories.blogspot.com
>
> On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 11:05 PM, jonathan <jonathan.jac...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Just for coverage... the RPG Blog Carnival Logo Contest has closed and
> > a winner has been announced. Check out the official announcement at
> > The Core Mechanic tomorrow morning 9:30AM.
>
> > In the meantime - if Madbrewlabs, Greywulf, or Reis O'Brien read this
> > google group - I need your snail mail postal addresses so I can mail
> > out the "You Rolled a NATURAL Twenty!" coupon books. They are in a
> > high-gloss, perferated edge finish - PDF just won't do.
>
> > The new 'official' logo for the contest is now decided by popular vote
> > to be this one:
>
> >http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n187/firedice27/Geek%20Orthodox/RP...

Mark Meredith

Oct 7, 2008, 8:23:42 AM10/7/08
to rpgbl...@googlegroups.com
At least two of those images are actually from the Monster Manual. I doubt Wizards is going to go with that.
--
---
"Dedicated to the lonely soul

Bartoneus

Oct 7, 2008, 8:29:32 AM10/7/08
to rpgbloggers
The Elf archer on the right is out of the 4e PHB (not sure if it was
used before that or in anything else).

The way things like this work is a bit tricky and intricate, looking
at this logo I don't think it will be a HUGE issue because the images
themselves have been reasonably altered for the logo. There are
plenty of blogs out there that use Wizards images in their banners.
Worst case you'll get a cease and desist and you stop using the logo.
(at least to the best of my knowledge)

It was definitely the best logo that was submitted to the contest, and
my issue was that once I saw it I couldn't come up with anything
significantly better than it. Next contest it's probably best to keep
the entries private until the end to prevent situations like that. :D

-Danny

Mark Meredith

Oct 7, 2008, 9:14:57 AM10/7/08
to rpgbl...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, I can't see Wizards getting all upset. There are literally thousands of modified pictures on the net out there using their images.

edi...@thegeekemporium.com

Oct 7, 2008, 11:42:42 AM10/7/08
to rpgbl...@googlegroups.com
It's also important that the RPG Blogger's Carnival isn't a "for profit" venture, so that will help keep WotC happy.  I agree that the worse that'll happen is a cease & desist order from Wizards.

Sincerely,
Tom Knighton
Editor
The Geek Emporium