Trouble using screen-capture-recorder-program and virtual-audio-capture-grabber-device

Dale

Sep 9, 2011, 9:25:17 PM9/9/11
to roger-projects
Hi,

I'm having problems getting either to show up as directshow sources in
VLC.

OS is Win7 64bit (with 32bit VLC, though).

Here is the error I get trying to run the timed capture demo
application:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Screen Capture Recorder Device
\configuration_setup_utilit
y>C:\Windows\system32\java.exe -jar jruby-complete-1.6.4.jar
timed_recording.rb
PROGID: WbemScripting.SWbemLocator
"starting -t 15 seconds now"
ffmpeg -f dshow -i video=screen-capture-recorder -r 10 -t 15 "C:\Users
\Dale\Desk
top\test.mpg"
ffmpeg version N-32138-g312645e, Copyright (c) 2000-2011 the FFmpeg
developers
built on Aug 28 2011 21:12:09 with gcc 4.6.1
configuration: --enable-gpl --enable-version3 --enable-memalign-hack
--enable-
runtime-cpudetect --enable-avisynth --enable-bzlib --enable-frei0r --
enable-libo
pencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libfreetype --enable-
libgsm --
enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-librtmp --enable-
libschroedinger
--enable-libspeex --enable-libtheora --enable-libvorbis --enable-
libvpx --enabl
e-libx264 --enable-libxavs --enable-libxvid --enable-zlib
libavutil 51. 14. 0 / 51. 14. 0
libavcodec 53. 12. 0 / 53. 12. 0
libavformat 53. 10. 0 / 53. 10. 0
libavdevice 53. 3. 0 / 53. 3. 0
libavfilter 2. 35. 0 / 2. 35. 0
libswscale 2. 0. 0 / 2. 0. 0
libpostproc 51. 2. 0 / 51. 2. 0
[dshow @ 01A5A140] Could not find video device.
video=screen-capture-recorder: Input/output error
"revealing..."
RuntimeError: nonexist cannot reveal in explorer?
show_in_explorer at ./jruby-swing-helpers/swing_helpers.rb:203
(root) at timed_recording.rb:36

So I figured this was a Win7 64bit issue, so I tried on XP 32bit and
get this:

C:\Program Files\Screen Capture Recorder Device
\configuration_setup_utility>"C:\
Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\java" -jar jruby-complete-1.6.4.jar
[dshow @ 01ECA1A0] Could not enumerate video devices.
video=screen-capture-recorder: Input/output error
"revealing..."
RuntimeError: nonexist cannot reveal in explorer?
show_in_explorer at ./jruby-swing-helpers/swing_helpers.rb:203
(root) at timed_recording.rb:36

Any ideas on either one?

Thanks,

Dale

Roger Pack

Sep 12, 2011, 11:36:13 AM9/12/11
to roger-p...@googlegroups.com
Hello. Thanks for being possibly the first person to try/use these
filters (besides myself)
Unfortunately as you noticed they're a bit rough, and I only released
them really like within the last two weeks, but hopefully we'll get it
figured out.
:)

> I'm having problems getting either to show up as directshow sources in
> VLC.
>
> OS is Win7 64bit (with 32bit VLC, though).

The filters are 32 bit, but that should work with 32 bit VLC/ffmpeg.
Does VLC show "any" devices for capture? Windows 7/XP?

With the attached ffmpeg if you run
ffmpeg -list_devices true -f dshow -i dummy

what is the output? I assume you installed the virtual audio capture
device as well (in windows 7 of course)?

> [dshow @ 01A5A140] Could not find video device.
> video=screen-capture-recorder: Input/output error
> "revealing..."
> RuntimeError: nonexist cannot reveal in explorer?
>  show_in_explorer at ./jruby-swing-helpers/swing_helpers.rb:203
>            (root) at timed_recording.rb:36

> So I figured this was a Win7 64bit issue, so I tried on XP 32bit and
> get this:

>  libpostproc  51.  2. 0 / 51.  2. 0
> [dshow @ 01ECA1A0] Could not enumerate video devices.

Hmm I wonder what that message might mean...and it's a different error
message than on windows 7 eh? hmm...

Once we have an answer to those questions I might have you re-register
the dll with regsvr32 to see what it does.
Thanks!
-roger-

ffmpeg-dshow-params-4.7z

Dale Blount

Sep 13, 2011, 3:15:19 PM9/13/11
to roger-p...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 11:36 AM, Roger Pack <rogerp...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello.  Thanks for being possibly the first person to try/use these
filters (besides myself)
Unfortunately as you noticed they're a bit rough, and I only released
them really like within the last two weeks, but hopefully we'll get it
figured out.
:)

Hi Roger, thanks for replying.

> I'm having problems getting either to show up as directshow sources in
> VLC.
>
> OS is Win7 64bit (with 32bit VLC, though).

The filters are 32 bit, but that should work with 32 bit VLC/ffmpeg.
Does VLC show "any" devices for capture?  Windows 7/XP?

VLC lists "Default" and "None" under Capture Device Tab when DirectShow is selected.

With the attached ffmpeg if you run
ffmpeg -list_devices true -f dshow -i dummy

Using included ffmpeg:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Screen Capture Recorder Device\configuration_setup_utilit
y\vendor\ffmpeg\bin>ffmpeg -list_devices true -f dshow -i dummy

ffmpeg version N-32138-g312645e, Copyright (c) 2000-2011 the FFmpeg developers
  built on Aug 28 2011 21:12:09 with gcc 4.6.1
  configuration: --enable-gpl --enable-version3 --enable-memalign-hack --enable-
runtime-cpudetect --enable-avisynth --enable-bzlib --enable-frei0r --enable-libo
pencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libfreetype --enable-libgsm --
enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-librtmp --enable-libschroedinger
 --enable-libspeex --enable-libtheora --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enabl

e-libx264 --enable-libxavs --enable-libxvid --enable-zlib
  libavutil    51. 14. 0 / 51. 14. 0
  libavcodec   53. 12. 0 / 53. 12. 0
  libavformat  53. 10. 0 / 53. 10. 0
  libavdevice  53.  3. 0 / 53.  3. 0
  libavfilter   2. 35. 0 /  2. 35. 0
  libswscale    2.  0. 0 /  2.  0. 0
  libpostproc  51.  2. 0 / 51.  2. 0
Unrecognized option 'list_devices'
ffmpeg: failed to set value 'true' for option 'list_devices'

I tried --list_devices and /list_devices and neither work either.

what is the output?  I assume you installed the virtual audio capture
device as well (in windows 7 of course)?

Yes, same thing.  Only "Default" and "None".

> [dshow @ 01A5A140] Could not find video device.
> video=screen-capture-recorder: Input/output error
> "revealing..."
> RuntimeError: nonexist cannot reveal in explorer?
>  show_in_explorer at ./jruby-swing-helpers/swing_helpers.rb:203
>            (root) at timed_recording.rb:36

> So I figured this was a Win7 64bit issue, so I tried on XP 32bit and
> get this:
>  libpostproc  51.  2. 0 / 51.  2. 0
> [dshow @ 01ECA1A0] Could not enumerate video devices.

Hmm I wonder what that message might mean...and it's a different error
message than on windows 7 eh? hmm...

Once we have an answer to those questions I might have you re-register
the dll with regsvr32 to see what it does.
Thanks!

I'm not too worried about the XP box as it was only a test and not where I need this at.

Dale

Roger Pack

Sep 13, 2011, 3:57:06 PM9/13/11
to roger-p...@googlegroups.com
> VLC lists "Default" and "None" under Capture Device Tab when DirectShow is
> selected.

How about if you install "Screen Capture DirectShow source filter. "
from this page: http://www.umediaserver.net/umediaserver/download.html
do the listings change (you may need to click "refresh list" or
restart VLC)? (x86 or x64) windows 7/XP?

I also assume selecting Default doesn't do anything?

>> With the attached ffmpeg if you run
>> ffmpeg -list_devices true -f dshow -i dummy
> Using included ffmpeg:
>
> C:\Program Files (x86)\Screen Capture Recorder
> Device\configuration_setup_utilit
> y\vendor\ffmpeg\bin>ffmpeg -list_devices true -f dshow -i dummy

> ffmpeg: failed to set value 'true' for option 'list_devices'

oops yeah you'll want to use this slightly updated ffmpeg.7z file
(from the previous email):

http://groups.google.com/group/roger-projects/attach/52e1201b1b65017d/ffmpeg-dshow-params-4.7z?part=2

>> Once we have an answer to those questions I might have you re-register
>> the dll with regsvr32 to see what it does.

You can try this, too. CD to wherever PushDesktop.ax is found, run
$ regsvr32 PushDesktop.ax
and see what it says.

Also what version of directx do you have installed? (you can tell by
running dxdiag.exe in the "run" box).

As a note, for me on windows 7 64 bit it works ok with VLC 32-bit, and
XP works ok too, so...it has a chance at working.

Thanks!
-roger-

Dale Blount

Sep 13, 2011, 9:51:15 PM9/13/11
to roger-p...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 3:57 PM, Roger Pack <rogerp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> VLC lists "Default" and "None" under Capture Device Tab when DirectShow is
> selected.

How about if you install "Screen Capture DirectShow source filter. "
from this page: http://www.umediaserver.net/umediaserver/download.html
do the listings change (you may need to click "refresh list" or
restart VLC)? (x86 or x64) windows 7/XP?

Yes, I get a UScreenCapture option after installing this.

I also assume selecting Default doesn't do anything?

Appears to default to my "Google Camera Adapter" and then fail.  Note this is a different Windows 7 PC than I mention had Default and None only (mostly a webcam and the google chat devices tied to it).

>> With the attached ffmpeg if you run
>> ffmpeg -list_devices true -f dshow -i dummy
> Using included ffmpeg:
>
> C:\Program Files (x86)\Screen Capture Recorder
> Device\configuration_setup_utilit
> y\vendor\ffmpeg\bin>ffmpeg -list_devices true -f dshow -i dummy
> ffmpeg: failed to set value 'true' for option 'list_devices'

oops yeah you'll want to use this slightly updated ffmpeg.7z file
(from the previous email):

http://groups.google.com/group/roger-projects/attach/52e1201b1b65017d/ffmpeg-dshow-params-4.7z?part=2

C:\Program Files (x86)\Screen Capture Recorder Device\configuration_setup_utilit
y\vendor\ffmpeg\bin>ffmpeg -list_devices true -f dshow -i dummy
ffmpeg version N-32295-gd6023a1, Copyright (c) 2000-2011 the FFmpeg developers
  built on Sep  2 2011 00:58:23 with gcc 4.6.1
  configuration: --cross-prefix=i686-w64-mingw32- --arch=x86 --target-os=mingw32
 --cc='ccache i686-w64-mingw32-gcc'

  libavutil    51. 14. 0 / 51. 14. 0
  libavcodec   53. 12. 0 / 53. 12. 0
  libavformat  53. 10. 0 / 53. 10. 0
  libavdevice  53.  3. 0 / 53.  3. 0
  libavfilter   2. 37. 0 /  2. 37. 0

  libswscale    2.  0. 0 /  2.  0. 0
[dshow @ 01629E60] DirectShow video devices
[dshow @ 01629E60]  "Laptop_Integrated_Webcam_1.3M"
[dshow @ 01629E60]  "UScreenCapture"
[dshow @ 01629E60]  "Google Camera Adapter 0"
[dshow @ 01629E60]  "Google Camera Adapter 1"
[dshow @ 01629E60] DirectShow audio devices
[dshow @ 01629E60]  "Digital Mic (Realtek High Defin"
dummy: Input/output error

>> Once we have an answer to those questions I might have you re-register
>> the dll with regsvr32 to see what it does.

You can try this, too. CD to wherever PushDesktop.ax is found, run
$ regsvr32 PushDesktop.ax
and see what it says.

I attached this as a PNG as I couldn't copy the error.

Also what version of directx do you have installed? (you can tell by
running dxdiag.exe in the "run" box).

Directx 11

pushdesktop-ax-capture.png

Roger Pack

Sep 14, 2011, 1:20:21 AM9/14/11
to roger-p...@googlegroups.com

Yes, I get a UScreenCapture option after installing this.

both 64 and 32 bit options appeared to function then?

I also assume selecting Default doesn't do anything?

Appears to default to my "Google Camera Adapter" and then fail.  Note this is a different Windows 7 PC than I mention had Default and None only (mostly a webcam and the google chat devices tied to it).

I assume pushdesktop fails there as well?

You can try this, too. CD to wherever PushDesktop.ax is found, run
$ regsvr32 PushDesktop.ax
and see what it says.

I attached this as a PNG as I couldn't copy the error.

Could you run dependency walker and train it on PushDesktop.ax and see if it shows any absent dependencies ("error opening file")?

Maybe it needs a msvcrt for visual studio express 2010 or something like that...
Do you have any file that looks like
C:\WINDOWS\system32\msvcr100.dll

Thanks!
-roger-

Dale Blount

Sep 15, 2011, 1:28:28 PM9/15/11
to roger-p...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 1:20 AM, Roger Pack <roger...@gmail.com> wrote:

Yes, I get a UScreenCapture option after installing this.

both 64 and 32 bit options appeared to function then?

I just tried 32 bit (since VLC was 32bit).

I also assume selecting Default doesn't do anything?

Appears to default to my "Google Camera Adapter" and then fail.  Note this is a different Windows 7 PC than I mention had Default and None only (mostly a webcam and the google chat devices tied to it).

I assume pushdesktop fails there as well?

It's not in the dropdown for me to try even.

You can try this, too. CD to wherever PushDesktop.ax is found, run
$ regsvr32 PushDesktop.ax
and see what it says.

I attached this as a PNG as I couldn't copy the error.

Could you run dependency walker and train it on PushDesktop.ax and see if it shows any absent dependencies ("error opening file")?

Maybe it needs a msvcrt for visual studio express 2010 or something like that...

Yes, it does.  It needs MSVCR100.DLL and IESHIMS.DLL which are missing on my install.  C++ 2010 fixed the first but I can't seem to find anything that claims to fix the latter.  Most posts in the google results don't make much sense or say that file shouldn't be required.

Dale

Roger Pack

Sep 15, 2011, 1:56:16 PM9/15/11
to roger-p...@googlegroups.com
> Yes, it does.  It needs MSVCR100.DLL and IESHIMS.DLL which are missing on my
> install.  C++ 2010 fixed the first but I can't seem to find anything that
> claims to fix the latter.  Most posts in the google results don't make much
> sense or say that file shouldn't be required.

Yeah for me it reports "Error opening file. The system cannot find the
file specified (2)" for GPSV.DLL and IESHIMS.DLL too (but it works ok,
so I think they're not needed).

So could you make sure MSVCR100.DLL is present (mine is in
c:\windows\system32, dunno if that matters) and try the installer
executable again and see if it works/appears? If it doesn't, could
you run regsvr32 against PushDesktop.ax again to see what says, if
it's the same message or not?
Thanks!
-roger-

Dale Blount

Sep 15, 2011, 4:43:51 PM9/15/11
to roger-p...@googlegroups.com
OK, reinstalled both video and audio and neither show in VLC still.  Tried regsvr32 on PushDesktop.ax/audio_sniffer.ax and they both give the same error as I sent you before.

Dale

Roger Pack

Sep 15, 2011, 7:40:07 PM9/15/11
to roger-p...@googlegroups.com
So could you make sure  MSVCR100.DLL is present (mine is in
c:\windows\system32, dunno if that matters) and try the installer
executable again and see if it works/appears?  If it doesn't, could
you run regsvr32 against PushDesktop.ax again to see what says, if
it's the same message or not?

OK, reinstalled both video and audio and neither show in VLC still.  Tried regsvr32 on PushDesktop.ax/audio_sniffer.ax and they both give the same error as I sent you before.

Dang thought we had it figured out.
Could you reboot and install again to make sure that isn't a concern?
Also where is your MSVCR100.DLL located?
How did you install it?

<later>

I was able to reproduce the problem on a vanilla XP 32bit box.
Installing this: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=5555
seemed to allow it to install.   I guess the 64bit box should also install the 32-bit runtime, though I haven't tested that.

I released a new version that "should" warn people when they don't have it installed a bit better, though that won't help you I suppose.

Let me know how it goes...
-roger

Dale Blount

Sep 16, 2011, 8:31:26 AM9/16/11
to roger-p...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 7:40 PM, Roger Pack <roger...@gmail.com> wrote:
So could you make sure  MSVCR100.DLL is present (mine is in
c:\windows\system32, dunno if that matters) and try the installer
executable again and see if it works/appears?  If it doesn't, could
you run regsvr32 against PushDesktop.ax again to see what says, if
it's the same message or not?

OK, reinstalled both video and audio and neither show in VLC still.  Tried regsvr32 on PushDesktop.ax/audio_sniffer.ax and they both give the same error as I sent you before.

Dang thought we had it figured out.
Could you reboot and install again to make sure that isn't a concern?
Also where is your MSVCR100.DLL located?
How did you install it?

I had installed it from the Microsoft page - only I chose the 64bit as that is what it auto detected and listed first when I searched for it on microsoft.com.

<later>

I was able to reproduce the problem on a vanilla XP 32bit box.
Installing this: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=5555
seemed to allow it to install.   I guess the 64bit box should also install the 32-bit runtime, though I haven't tested that.

I just installed that 32bit download on my 64bit win7 box, then re-installed the applications and they both show up in VLC now.  Will test it later and let you know if it's working.

Thanks!

Dale

Roger Pack

Sep 16, 2011, 10:56:46 AM9/16/11
to roger-p...@googlegroups.com
Cool good to know.
-r

Dale Blount

Sep 16, 2011, 1:30:44 PM9/16/11
to roger-p...@googlegroups.com

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 10:56 AM, Roger Pack <rogerp...@gmail.com> wrote:
Cool good to know.

I can't get VLC to do anything, but I'm not sure it's not a "me" issue.  The stream connects and starts to play but there is never any audio or video.

I will play with it more over the weekend.

Dale

Roger Pack

Sep 16, 2011, 1:32:46 PM9/16/11
to roger-p...@googlegroups.com

> I can't get VLC to do anything, but I'm not sure it's not a "me" issue.  The
> stream connects and starts to play but there is never any audio or video.
>
> I will play with it more over the weekend.

Which version of screen-capture-recorder do you have installed, do you
know? Does it display nothing or a blank screen?
What does VLC messages say (tools menu -> message -> change verbosity
to 2, restart playing directshow device)?

Can you record using the ffmpeg "record using current settings" shortcut?
-r

Dale Blount

Sep 17, 2011, 9:20:38 PM9/17/11
to roger-p...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 1:32 PM, Roger Pack <rogerp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I can't get VLC to do anything, but I'm not sure it's not a "me" issue.  The
> stream connects and starts to play but there is never any audio or video.
>
> I will play with it more over the weekend.

Which version of screen-capture-recorder do you have installed, do you
know?

It was 0.1.1 but I uninstalled it and installed 0.2.3 with the same results.

Does it display nothing or a blank screen?

I was getting "Streaming" on the source with just the VLC cone on the client.  Now it appears VLC is crashing on the source.

What does VLC messages say (tools menu -> message -> change verbosity
to 2, restart playing directshow device)?

Is this on the receiving end?  If so, I'll try it if the source side ever stops crashing.  I tried this on the source side and the messages window crashes along with VLC (just disappears and states it has crashed next time VLC is opened).

Can you record using the ffmpeg "record using current settings" shortcut?

Yes, this works so it appears it's a VLC issue.

Dale

Roger Pack

Sep 17, 2011, 11:31:44 PM9/17/11
to roger-p...@googlegroups.com
> I was getting "Streaming" on the source with just the VLC cone on the
> client.  Now it appears VLC is crashing on the source.

I think saying just "streaming" is right. Crashing obviously not ;P

>> What does VLC messages say (tools menu -> message -> change verbosity
>> to 2, restart playing directshow device)?
>
> Is this on the receiving end?  If so, I'll try it if the source side ever
> stops crashing.  I tried this on the source side and the messages window
> crashes along with VLC (just disappears and states it has crashed next time
> VLC is opened).

maybe start vlc from within gdb, then when it crashes, gdb might
"catch" the crash.
If it does, run the "backtrace" command to see if that's any help [?]

which vlc version? could you describe exactly what you did that
crashes it and I could try to reproduce it...

Also if you just do VLC "open capture device" does it display your desktop?

Also maybe try uninstalling the 64-bit msvcr100.dll and see if that helps?

Also maybe try with capture device 2.0 and see if that's any different?

Cheers!
-r

Dale Blount

Sep 18, 2011, 4:17:46 PM9/18/11
to roger-p...@googlegroups.com

>> What does VLC messages say (tools menu -> message -> change verbosity
>> to 2, restart playing directshow device)?
>
> Is this on the receiving end?  If so, I'll try it if the source side ever
> stops crashing.  I tried this on the source side and the messages window
> crashes along with VLC (just disappears and states it has crashed next time
> VLC is opened).

maybe start vlc from within gdb, then when it crashes, gdb might
"catch" the crash.
If it does, run the "backtrace" command to see if that's any help [?]

which vlc version? could you describe exactly what you did that
crashes it and I could try to reproduce it...

I think it was crashing because I was starting the streaming session via a RDP session (and it was trying to attach to RDP audio).  I started it locally and it appears to start fine.

and it appears to be streaming now although it's about a minute behind and very laggy.  I think H.264 is just too much for my poor streaming box.

I'll play with the quality and container and see if I can't make it a little better.

Thanks again,

Dale

Roger Pack

Sep 18, 2011, 7:58:03 PM9/18/11
to roger-p...@googlegroups.com
> I think it was crashing because I was starting the streaming session via a
> RDP session (and it was trying to attach to RDP audio).  I started it
> locally and it appears to start fine.

Nice.

> and it appears to be streaming now although it's about a minute behind and
> very laggy.  I think H.264 is just too much for my poor streaming box.
>
> I'll play with the quality and container and see if I can't make it a little
> better.

Let me know what you find out. I have just started experimenting with
streaming stuff...of course the directshow capture device isn't
totally optimized either, but hopefully some day.

Currently a couple of "hints" for streaming "might" be to use ffmpeg
with its libx264 presets and see if one of them is fast enough...let
me know what you find out...

-roger-

rogerdpack

Sep 19, 2011, 2:16:19 PM9/19/11
to roger-projects
> > and it appears to be streaming now although it's about a minute behind and
> > very laggy.  I think H.264 is just too much for my poor streaming box.

One other consideration is that with H.264 a "client" may need to wait
for an i-frame to show up before it can start displaying, which may
explain some initial pause.
I don't know too much about it unfortunately.