[Rocks-Discuss] Differences between ssh and qlogin to cluster nodes

Margaret Doll

Apr 10, 2009, 2:05:34 PM4/10/09
to Grid Engine, ROCKS
I am having problems with graphical interfaces to programs such as
matlab, tecplot, comsol running on compute nodes. I find that if the
user uses "ssh compute-0-7", the graphic programs work fine; no
problems. If the user instead uses "qlogin", the user will get java
errors.

Unable to initialize com.mathworks.mwswing.MJStartup
Fatal Error on startup: Failure loading desktop class

for matlab for an example.

I want the users to use qlogin so that we can allocate resources
correctly, but we need the graphical programs.

We are using ROCKS 5. and Linux 2.6.18-53.1.14.el5

more /opt/gridengine/bin/rocks-qlogin.sh
#!/bin/sh
HOST=$1
PORT=$2
/usr/bin/ssh -Y -p $PORT $HOST

Daniel Templeton

Apr 10, 2009, 2:29:08 PM4/10/09
to users, ROCKS
What version of SGE? Prior to 6.2, qlogin was implemented via telnet.
It's really hard to xhost over telnet. qrsh is really what you want.
You'll need to setup the rlogin_command and rlogin_daemon to use ssh -X
and sshd -i, respectively, instead of the defaults, even if you're using
6.2 or more recent. (The built-in interactive job support in 6.2
doesn't handle X11 forwarding yet.)

Daniel

Daniel Templeton

Apr 10, 2009, 3:33:21 PM4/10/09
to users, ROCKS
You don't have to reboot or restart anything for SGE to pick up
changes. All changes are applied immediately and automatically.

To be honest, I have no idea what /opt/gridengine/bin/rocks-qlogin.sh is
or why you're changing it. I have no experience with ROCKS. What I was
talking about was changing the rlogin_command and rlogin_daemon settings
in the host configuration. See sge_conf(5).

Daniel

mad wrote:
> GE 6.1U4 and GE 6.0u8.
>
> We did change /opt/gridengine/bin/rocks-qlogin.sh

> #!/bin/sh
> HOST=$1
> PORT=$2
> /usr/bin/ssh -Y -p $PORT $HOST
>

> The qlogin on the older does support the graphics display. The newer
> one does not. Is that because the older one has been rebooted since
> we made the change in the qlogin configuration? Can you make the
> qlogin look at the new configuration without restarting the head node?
>
> On Apr 10, 2009, at 2:58 PM, templedf wrote:
>

>> Those are ROCKS versions, so they don't mean much to me. What do you
>> get if you run qconf | head -1?
>>
>> Daniel
>>
>> mad wrote:
>>
>>> That explains the problem. We have
>>>
>>> sge-insert-ethers-5.0-0
>>> sge-drmaa-5.0-0
>>> sge-V61u4-1
>>> rocks-sge-5.0-2
>>> sge-ganglia-5.0-2
>>> rocks-command-sge-5.0-0
>>> roll-sge-usersguide-5.0-0
>>>
>>> on one system and
>>>
>>> globus_scheduler_event_generator_sge_gcc64_dev-1.1-0
>>> sge-V60u8-1
>>> sge-ganglia-4.3-2
>>> globus_gram_job_manager_setup_sge_noflavor_pgm-0.12-0
>>> globus_wsrf_gram_service_java_setup_sge_noflavor_pgm-1.1-0
>>> sge-drmaa-4.3-0
>>> rocks-sge-4.3-2
>>> globus_scheduler_event_generator_sge_gcc64_rtl-1.1-0
>>>
>>> on the other.

>>> ].

>> ].

> http://gridengine.sunsource.net/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=38&dsMessageId=164966

Kaufman, Ian

Apr 13, 2009, 11:43:36 AM4/13/09
to Discussion of Rocks Clusters
Don't make assumptions here. While the default for qlogin is
to use telnet, it is very easy to change it so that SSH is
used instead, and the ROCKS implementation of SGE does exactly
that. On my ROCKS 4.2.1 machine, which uses SGE 5.3, qlogin
uses SSH by running /opt/gridengine/bin/rocks-qlogin.sh on
the client side, and /usr/sbin/sshd -i on the server side.
rlogin and rsh are also configured to use SSH by default
under ROCKS.

Now, as far as configuration goes, I would look at the default
config since it uses the -i flag for sshd. I am not sure that
flag is doing any good for starters. Also, make sure sshd is
configured to allow X11 forwarding on the new clients. Finally,
some verbose flags on the client and server side, as well as
system log entries might help diagnose why X isn't forwarding.

Ian Kaufman
Research Systems Administrator
UC San Diego, Jacobs School of Engineering

> unsub...@gridengine.sunsource.net].

Hamilton, Scott L.

Apr 13, 2009, 2:18:47 PM4/13/09
to Discussion of Rocks Clusters
I would try and modify the script below to user the following switches
instead of -Y.

I always user ssh -XC -p $PORT $host

This forwards X11 with the standard X server security whereas -Y
bypasses the security. The C enables compression which increases the
speed of the X forwarding substantially.

Also if you X servers are configured for secure access only the -Y
switch will fail.

Scott

Mike Hanby

Apr 14, 2009, 10:37:45 AM4/14/09
to ROCKS, users
I forget if someone mentioned this already, but you may need to add the
following to your /etc/ssh/ssh_config on the head node:

ForwardX11Trusted yes

The default on Rocks 5.x is no (it's omitted from the file altogether):

$ cat /etc/ssh/ssh_config

Host *
CheckHostIP no
ForwardX11 yes