Reviews - Improvement Suggestions

BradM

Jan 7, 2010, 10:17:05 AM1/7/10
to Rochester Wiki
In hopes of contributing to the January Meeting without being able to
attend I offer the following observation:

This morning I noted that DamianKumor asked DavidPausch to add
comments to his changes, a useful ask. Perhaps, this could be
automated in some way - maybe a periodic (weekly, monthly) tabulation
of users failing to add comments on changes. Or auto posting of notes
on user page of their tabbed results (:>). Any Suggestions for Quality
Lookups (SQL) ???

In looking at the request I realized that DavidPausch has extensive
edits to the Pizza categories (see his UserInfo link below) and
appears to be the "Pizza Guy" of rochesternypizza.blogspot.com or just
loves to support that blog and integrate it into RocWiki. You can see
from my search for the blogspot (in list below) that there are lots of
links to the blog. Some might argue that this could be construed as
link spamming, but it does actually serve a useful purpose - linking
RocWiki to other useful and related web resources. There are likely
other similar and useful integration opportunities.

The Reviews area is one that could bear some thought about automated
integration and the PizzaBlogSpot could be a first prototype
candidate. Without exploring the details, perhaps a Review Macro might
take as an argument, the Review Site (such as PizzaBlogSpot) and use
the RocWiki page name to generate an appropriate link to the Review
site. Other review sites, such as MerchantCircle, Yelp, Yahoo Local,
Google, etc which have a standardized search or look-up syntax might
be additional candidates. Additional rationales for such integration
is to reduce the duplication between RocWiki and other specialized
info sites and to remove as much "maintenance required" info from
RocWiki when the other site keeps up-to-date info. "Hours" is an
example of high maintenance data, it requires a lot of Pete's time.

The Review entries bear additional thought as well. A few issues;
* Template specified format contains request for "Year-Month-Day
Media Name review" - this is seldom followed and many times not
appropriate due to multiple reviews on the linked page.
* Maintaining accuracy and currency of the entry - a generic problem
that might benefit from ["As Of"] which could generate an automated
list for review {{{LinksHere(As Of)}}}
* some reviews, such as D&C reviews will soon have expired links,
* entries with links to multi-review pages should not have counts
or dates unless marked ( I used to put in 7+ reviews when there were
8, to keep it valid)

In any event, a proposed topic for further discussion - any ideas on
where to put this info (which Talk Page) and I will xport it into the
wiki.

Happy New Year to All

Brad

NOTES:

FROM BUSINESS TEMPLATE:

## Optional: reviews; remove this line and the next two lines if this
business is unlikely to receive a review (i.e. bars and restaurants
typically get reviewed.)
||<class="tablehead">'''Reviews'''||
||[http://www.ReviewSite.com/path Year-Month-Day Media Name review]||

LINKS:
http://rocwiki.org/Users/DamianKumor
http://rocwiki.org/Users/DavidPausch
http://rocwiki.org/Users/DavidPausch?action=userinfo
http://rocwiki.org/wiki/cgi/supersearch.py?query=rochesternypizza.blogspot.com

Pete B

Jan 7, 2010, 2:37:46 PM1/7/10
to BradM, Rochester Wiki
Thanks Brad...GREAT IDEAS--I appreciate the idea to reduce my workload--however honestly updating hours of restaurants is nothing for me and actually occupies very little of my time.

I would like to hold off on using LinksHere a lot. I think any new user who wants to contribute significantly could find that confusing as in one case Ryan and I found awhile back. Can't remember the specific but we dropped the Linkshere and just did standard listing.

--
For options, view full headers. See also http://groups.google.com/group/rochesterwiki

BradM

Jan 7, 2010, 8:34:11 PM1/7/10
to Rochester Wiki
TO PETE:

1. What did the LinksHere have to do with my suggestion?

2. Your issue with LinksHere is based on something "found awhile back"
that you "can't remember the specifics". What an extraordinary
response to a suggestion - bet that goes over real big at work !!

TO ALL:

1. Any suggestion that one should reduce an important resource as
RocWiki to the lowest common denominator of the "new user" is plain
unadulterated nonsense. I see no reason to include arcane stuff within
standard things for new users (templates etc) but to keep them out of
RocWiki is crazy. Go look at the IncludePages macros in many RocWiki
pages and defy even frequent users to figure the syntax out or to find
documentation - Good Luck. Have you ever looked at Wikipedia as an
author? But, hey, maybe is not that successful and does not have any
"new users".

2. As to Pete's notion that RocWiki should be limited because you has
lots of time and is willing to do all these edits is not a system
solution, I can clearly testify that people get hit by buses,
sometimes under a different medical diagnostic name. RocWiki should
never be designed, controlled, or constricted by any single
participant, no matter how much time or effort they put in - in fact
the time and effort reality (and its unlikely replacement) is the very
REASON to act to avoid future problems - TRUST ME - I AM AN EXPERT ON
THIS SUBJECT (including 40+ years in the software and system design
business).

Brad

On Jan 7, 2:37 pm, Pete B <blu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Brad...GREAT IDEAS--I appreciate the idea to reduce my
> workload--however honestly updating hours of restaurants is nothing for me
> and actually occupies very little of my time.
>
> I would like to hold off on using LinksHere a lot. I think any new user who
> wants to contribute significantly could find that confusing as in one case
> Ryan and I found awhile back. Can't remember the specific but we dropped the
> Linkshere and just did standard listing.
>

> > ||[http://www.ReviewSite.com/path<http://www.reviewsite.com/path>Year-Month-Day Media Name review]||

> >http://rocwiki.org/wiki/cgi/supersearch.py?query=rochesternypizza.blo...

Pete B

Jan 7, 2010, 11:14:15 PM1/7/10
to BradM, Rochester Wiki
I have never ever suggested RocWiki should be controlled because of the time I put in. I merely was trying to respond to your suggestions.

Don't insult my work, Brad-simply not necessary. You brought up the Linkshere issue and I tried to address it. I don't remember the specifics because it was *months* ago. I am sorry I can't remember the specifics but it came up and Ryan and I agreed on the specific page to not us the Linkshere and the issue was resolved.

BradM

Jan 8, 2010, 9:23:58 AM1/8/10
to Rochester Wiki
TO PETE:

I am sorry about the sarcasm regarding work, it was uncalled for.

I am also sorry about my oversight - having gone back and reread my
suggestion I realize that I did, in fact, mention LinksHere.

LinksHere was only mentioned in the suggestion as one of the available
tools to deal with currency and completeness issues in a wiki. For
example, go to the long-standing Stub Pages List, Controversial Pages
List or Troll Pages List and you will find an alphabetized, automated
list of all the pages containing the wiki link. See the
http://rocwiki.org/Info_Needed/Talk page for usage with Info Needed.
See http://rocwiki.org/Vegetarian_Food/Talk for its usage in managing
editor vs automated list of categories.

My suggestion simply meant that one way of keeping track of pages with
currency issues would be to put an ["As Of"] in the hours or other
dated material which would allow a similar editor's work page to
clearly identify all the places on the wiki requiring periodic
attention.

Besides, LinksHere is clearly documented in the Macro List page and
available to any new or old editor.

FOR ALL:

Possible issues with LinksHere:
* It will include all wiki link references, such as a wiki link
within a Comment, documentation, etc. I resolve this issue in other
wikis by simply creating an alternate reference name with a redirect
to handle such wiki links.
* Used without an argument or with ("/...") within an "Include" it
will resolve to the original include file, not the file it is included
in. Perhaps, some test usage within a some prototypes of mine last
year was what you were remembering.

You can see my completed design for a variety of currency issues
implemented at http://buffalo.wikispot.org/Dated_Material_Review in
the Buffalo Wiki which now includes the As of feature mentioned in my
suggestion.

Anyone who wishes to use any of my Buffalo Wiki design features is
welcome to import them into RocWiki under the creative commons
attribution terms. I decided quite a some time ago to simply implement
my ideas in other wikis rather than get caught up in constant nit-
picking and "not invented here syndrome" within RocWiki.

Brad

On Jan 7, 11:14 pm, Pete B <blu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have never ever suggested RocWiki should be controlled because of the time
> I put in. I merely was trying to respond to your suggestions.
>
> Don't insult my work, Brad-simply not necessary. You brought up the
> Linkshere issue and I tried to address it. I don't remember the specifics
> because it was *months* ago. I am sorry I can't remember the specifics but
> it came up and Ryan and I agreed on the specific page to not us the
> Linkshere and the issue was resolved.

Pete B

Jan 8, 2010, 11:02:10 PM1/8/10
to BradM, Rochester Wiki
Sorry for the late reply....was off work today and just trying to stay warm (ie lots of couch cuddling w/ 2 warm puppies)...

Brad--thank you very much. I fully accept and appreciate the apology....

I'll comment next week. I've got to get some sleep.