Why are there so many wiki disputes?

Ben Margolis

Aug 7, 2007, 3:14:44 PM8/7/07
to Rochester Wiki

The problem seems to be that new people are unaware of the guidelines/
rules/policies in RocWiki. If we do a better job communicating them,
then we will have less disruptive activities in the first place, and
we can point to them when there is a dispute. This information must be
easy to find from the front page, and presented to users when they
first sign up.

The Davis Wiki, which uses the same platform, but is larger and has
been around 2-3 years longer than RocWiki, has some good guidelines
that may bring us more success.

http://daviswiki.org/Introduction (Linked to from first paragraph of
front page)
http://daviswiki.org/Davis_Wiki_Guide (Linked to from bottom of front
page)
http://daviswiki.org/Wiki_Ethics
http://daviswiki.org/Wiki_Style_Guide

http://daviswiki.org/Welcome_to_the_Wiki
http://daviswiki.org/Welcome_to_the_Wiki/Business_Owner (this type of
language should solve a lot of our problems and encourage good use of
RocWiki)
http://daviswiki.org/Welcome_to_the_Wiki/Wiki_Enthusiast
http://daviswiki.org/Welcome_to_the_Wiki/Alien_From_Outer_Space
(funny)

I like this page also.
http://daviswiki.org/Importance_of_using_your_RealName

RocWiki does have some guidelines, but it is hidden from the front
page, and is very limited.
http://www.rocwiki.org/Wiki_Community/Offenses
http://www.rocwiki.org/Wiki_Community/Not_Offenses

There is no mention of these on http://www.rocwiki.org/Help_On_Editing,
http://www.rocwiki.org/Wiki_Guide or http://www.rocwiki.org/FAQ

We should use Davis wiki's example because they have faced the same
problems as we have, but are more experienced.

-Ben Margolis

Rottenchester

Aug 7, 2007, 8:35:47 PM8/7/07
to Ben Margolis, Rochester Wiki