[robotlegs] Flash IDE CS3/4/5

Shaun Smith

May 11, 2010, 12:21:45 PM5/11/10
to RobotLegs Discussion Group
It seems that compilation in the IDE is indeed possible. In Publish
Settings: set "Export SWC" to true, add RL + SwiftSuspenders source to
Source Path, compile.

I've tried it on a simple project (HelloFlash from the demo bundle)
and a much larger project that uses RL 1.1 and the Swft Game Component
framework, with Flash CS4, and both compiled perfectly. It wasn't
happy with me setting the Document Class, so I simply added the old
root app Sprite on the first frame: addChild(new HelloFlash());

Does anyone have any pure AS3 projects that they can test to confirm
this?

Michael Cann

May 11, 2010, 1:47:14 PM5/11/10
to robo...@googlegroups.com
Nice! Thats good to know that it can be built by the IDE. I wonder why it didnt like setting the document class..

I haven't got any pure AS3 projects that use RL unfortunately.

Jesse Warden

May 11, 2010, 1:48:15 PM5/11/10
to robo...@googlegroups.com
Have you tried this in CS4/CS3 since it has the same functionality?  Trying myself now.

Jesse Warden

May 11, 2010, 2:43:01 PM5/11/10
to robo...@googlegroups.com
...fuck me runnin', it works in CS4.  I have no clue how to get a non-visual SWC into the Library in CS3, but it's theoretically possible to get that IDE working too if the SWC could be re-published since I believe CS3 supports Flex made SWC's.

Thanks asshole, now I have to re-write my entire preso.  This rocks!

I wonder why simply checking Export SWC makes everything work?  Doesn't it utilize the Flex Framework for that kind of stuff?  Maybe that's why it works, even though you aren't even using the SWC it makes, just the SWF....

Jesse Warden

May 11, 2010, 2:45:46 PM5/11/10
to robo...@googlegroups.com
Best hack find of the year, right here.  Go Shaun, it's yer birfday!

Shaun Smith

May 11, 2010, 2:54:24 PM5/11/10
to robo...@googlegroups.com
Hahah! Actually the hack was posted to the Robotlegs knowledgebase a while back, but I only decided to check it out now (cos I'm slow like that):

Seems that the Flash Pro compiler doesn't strip out any custom metadata if Export SWC is enabled. Weird, but who cares, it works!

michaelangela design

May 11, 2010, 8:39:49 PM5/11/10
to robo...@googlegroups.com
Perhaps it was my having a document class in my project that caused the unknown issues. If that's the case then... oh this is good news indeed. :)

Did it report a specific error when you used the Document Class?

Did you do the test in CS3/4 & 5?

Thanks for taking it further!

Michael

Jesse Warden

May 11, 2010, 9:08:19 PM5/11/10
to robo...@googlegroups.com
It works in CS4.

I couldn't get it to work in CS3 because I couldn't figure out how to get the SWC to show up in the components panel, even after putting in the Components folder and rebooting Flash.

michaelangela design

May 11, 2010, 10:51:46 PM5/11/10
to robo...@googlegroups.com
Gotcha. Well at least CS4 works. My only thought now is if this ability will suddenly go away at some point in the future. Anyone with CS5 take a shot at it?

Jesse Warden

May 12, 2010, 12:15:51 AM5/12/10
to robo...@googlegroups.com
I had a friend do a screen share with CS5; it's the exact same.  Given the history of Flash, and what features it gets vs. Flex, I don't see this functionality going away ever.  My gut tells me they are using the Flex SDK for this functionality anyway (the internal one that ships with the IDE), so... this ensures they have a single compiler for both products for this feature (ie we're safe).

michaelangela design

May 12, 2010, 4:17:41 AM5/12/10
to robo...@googlegroups.com
That's what I was hoping to hear. Thanks much! I'll have to try it out to be sure I can convert my current one to a Flash friendly version. I have a new project that has to be delivered as an FLA compilable project so this really makes my day for it. :P

Thanks to all who put these pieces together!

Michael

Till Schneidereit

May 12, 2010, 4:28:43 AM5/12/10
to robo...@googlegroups.com
Great: Now all the XML configuration stuff in SwiftSuspenders is
completely useless ...

But that sure is an awesome hack!

Shaun Smith

May 12, 2010, 4:50:29 AM5/12/10
to robo...@googlegroups.com
Woah, I didn't even try with the SWC - though the thought popped into my head as I was going to sleep last night.

Jesse, would you be able to try it with CS3 by adding the RL and SwiftSuspenders source to the source path? And, how did you get the SWC to show in the CS4 components panel? I haven't had much luck with that.

michaelangela design

May 12, 2010, 5:11:14 AM5/12/10
to robo...@googlegroups.com
Would CS4 need it in the components panel? I would have assumed adding a swc library folder in the library path in the settings. Well that's how I did it last time but of course it didn't work

oh....

oh my...

well just so you all know, the app that didn't work before now works. Fortunately I didn't have to do anything to crazy but it really was an issue with the Document class. What's up with that?

My document class was point at a Main.as. Cleared that. Added a new symbol, did the export to Main, published and... well well well the thing runs.

This *is* good. Happy happy!

For reference, these are the paths used in the Library Path tab of Advanced Actionscript 3.0 Settings

$(AppConfig)/ActionScript 3.0/libs
$(FlexSDK)/frameworks/libs/flex.swc
../libs

This is a standard AS3 FlexBuilder app and I have my FLAs and libs at the same folder level. This app uses Robotlegs, as3-signals, and coordy (layout manager) and those swcs are in the libs folder there.

Time to update that knowledge base article now.

Michael

Jesse Warden

May 12, 2010, 8:34:27 AM5/12/10
to robo...@googlegroups.com
Naw, the OTHER way.  CS3 doesn't really have a Library path; the only way it could use SWC's to my knowledge was if it was in the Library.  The only way to get SWC's in the Library was to get them into the Components panel so you could drag 'em in.  The only way to get 'em in the Components panel was to drop in the Components directory of First Run, reboot Flash, and it'll re-appear (or just re-fresh the Panel).  However, I couldn't get it to show up there, so... no go on CS3 unless y'all re-compile it to somehow have the XML config node the SWC needs to have so Flash will show an icon for it.  I remember in the past Flash would show a default icon, so again, confused as to why it's not showing up.  Maybe I chose the wrong folder...I'll try again today.

Michael Cann

May 12, 2010, 8:51:21 AM5/12/10
to robo...@googlegroups.com
Could you make an MXP using adobe extension manager to do that for you?

Jesse Warden

May 12, 2010, 9:26:22 AM5/12/10
to robo...@googlegroups.com
Yeah; I haven't in awhile.  In fact, I think I recommended we make one for Robotlegs, but after finding it had to use static XML, I didn't care anymore.... now I care again, so great recommendation!  Assuming we can get it to work in CS3, it'll be a nice,  professional way to distribute.  :: crosses fingers ::