MarginPen, LettError MeasureGlyph

Erik van Blokland

Sep 20, 2008, 8:18:21 AM9/20/08
to rob...@googlegroups.com
Hullo,

I checked in an update for pens/marginPen.py. Now it also supports
vertical measurements. It works for me, but let me know if you find
something odd.

http://code.robofab.com/changeset/94

As an incentive to try the new revision, here's a cute measuring tool
script I wrote for FontLab. I've tested it only on Mac, but it
shouldn't be too difficult to make it work on Windows as well.
Comments are welcome. So, you understand this does not work if you
don't have the svn version of robofab? Good.

Install:
It needs to be installed in the Macros/System folder. Make sure the
permissions on the script and the enclosing folder is good for
reading, writing and executing.

Use:
After restarting FontLab, a tool named "LettError_MeasureGlyph" will
appear in the tools menu. Select the tool, and the cursor next to it.
Click to get a horizontal slice. Command-click to get a vertical slice.

If you like it, and it works and it didn't immediately crash the file
you were working on and you still think favorably of my work after
reading all this, donate a cup of coffee on the robofab donations
button at http://robofab.org

Important note: this script draws in the front glyph window. On my
machine (OSX 10.5, FontLab 5.0.4, build 2741) it works, but in FL4.5
this was very unstable. I have not tested it in all FL versions. Save
first. Test on a copy. No warrantee. No liability. Etc. You're on your
own.

Cheerio,
Erik

Enclosed: 1 python script (tabbed), 2 screen grabs from FL showing
horizontal and vertical slice.

LettError_MeasureGlyph.py.zip
pastedGraphic.png
pastedGraphic.png

Anton

Sep 25, 2008, 6:19:34 AM9/25/08
to RoboFab

Great Tool.
Now I can scrap lots of homegrown measuring scripts :-)
On my mac runs perfect: FL is 5.0.2 OSX is 10.4.10

Thanx Erik!