roanoke airport

1 view

Minerva

Mar 31, 2002, 8:46:35 AM3/31/02
I haev to fly out for business next week.

The international news is a bit disquieting, at the least.

How is the airport faring these days. Any interesting changes in
security measures?
How about Philadelphia and Baltimore. Anybody been there lately?
How are their airports?

I've got about a two week stay. What's to do in the downtowns of
these cities these days?

Happydog

Mar 31, 2002, 8:51:06 AM3/31/02

Minerva wrote

>How is the airport faring these days. Any interesting changes in
>security measures??

I understand they have the Roanoke Swat Team standing by at all times. These
are two overweight police officers with rolled up Roanoke Times (not Sunday
edition-too many ads).

Happydog:)

Dick Hamlen

Mar 31, 2002, 6:10:02 PM3/31/02

I flew from Roanoke in November. There was no delay at security. Of
course, that was before the fed government started helping. I would not
go through the hassle of flying to either city when driving is so
convenient.

I was in Baltimore a few weeks ago but just did the usual tourist stuff
at the harbor and little Italy. In Phila, you will be a short distance
(but a tedious drive) from Allentown.

Dick

minerva

Mar 31, 2002, 6:18:07 PM3/31/02

Dick Hamlen <haml...@cox.net> wrote in message

> I was in Baltimore a few weeks ago but just did the usual tourist stuff
> at the harbor and little Italy. In Phila, you will be a short distance
> (but a tedious drive) from Allentown.
>
> Dick

yes of course, my life's dream, to MEET Don in person

unfortunately, I will depending on others for autos, but it is DOABLE!!!

geez I cannot wait

Lewis Jorgenson

Mar 31, 2002, 7:06:31 PM3/31/02
Minerva:

>Dick Hamlen:

> I was in Baltimore a few weeks ago but just did the usual tourist stuff
> at the harbor and little Italy. In Phila, you will be a short distance
> (but a tedious drive) from Allentown.

Minerva:

yes of course, my life's dream, to MEET Don in person
unfortunately, I will depending on others for autos, but it is DOABLE!!!
geez I cannot wait

Jorgenson:
Please take pictures and post them. Preferably with Don at a keyboard.
Thanks.

Lewis Vance Jorgenson

Lester Mosley

Mar 31, 2002, 7:10:41 PM3/31/02

How is Airports leaving form International destinations?
Just wondering what is will be like flying out of Frankfurt.

haven't Flown since last July, so not sure what to expect.

Lester Mosley

Mar 31, 2002, 7:10:54 PM3/31/02
On Sun, 31 Mar 2002 13:51:06 GMT, "Happydog" <dgra...@cfl.rr.com>
wrote:

Bite me.

minerva

Mar 31, 2002, 7:12:14 PM3/31/02

Lewis Jorgenson <jorge...@prodigy.net> wrote in message

:
> Please take pictures and post them. Preferably with Don at a keyboard.
> Thanks.

AT the computer....I suspect he IS a computer...that is, just a postbot who
reposts articles and then when someone tries to argue about the substance,
he replies 'I have no time or inclination to discuss this with you" and
"roanoke is horrible"

The repeated refrain suggests he is a bot. He isn't real, for real, is
he.well even if he is a bot, I would like to meet him so I can
recode/reprogram him a little, if you know what I mean

so he can be warm and fuzzy or something

Does anybody know how i can do this or where i can info about this or is
this possible?

ockham

Mar 31, 2002, 7:28:01 PM3/31/02

"minerva" <minerv...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

With Don, there is a lot less than meets the eye.................

mikey

Lester Mosley

Mar 31, 2002, 9:56:29 PM3/31/02
On Sun, 31 Mar 2002 19:12:14 -0500, "minerva"
<minerv...@mindspring.com> wrote:

>Lewis Jorgenson <jorge...@prodigy.net> wrote in message
>:
>> Please take pictures and post them. Preferably with Don at a keyboard.
>> Thanks.
>

>AT the computer....I suspect he IS a computer...that is, just a postbot who
>reposts articles and then when someone tries to argue about the substance,
>he replies 'I have no time or inclination to discuss this with you" and
>"roanoke is horrible"

I think he has it as a macro. One of those programmable keyboards you
can assign a string of text to.

he has his 'I hate roanoke' rant in it.

Happydog

Apr 1, 2002, 7:12:04 AM4/1/02

>I think he has it as a macro. One of those programmable keyboards you
>can assign a string of text to.
>
>he has his 'I hate roanoke' rant in it.

Count me in on this one. Its just a matter of time. All of you will get to
know and hate the place sooner or later. I mean, what is there to love? The
merchants that like to act as if they are doing you a favor? The beautiful
structures, Poff Building, FU Tower, NS Building and Hotel Roanoke, the rest
are falling into the streets. The four newspapers that report the same
thing? Senior News, Vinton Messenger, Salem Times Register and the Roanoke
Times.The downtown movie house, the ice skating rink downtown, the IMax
theatre downtown, the downtown tourist trolley? Warehouse Row Shops and
Restaurants. Oh, sorry, that is what was planned, forgot.

Look outward, to Allentown, to Daytona, that is where the "enemy" lies.
Sorry, no pun intended.

Happydog:)

Minerva

Apr 1, 2002, 7:35:10 PM4/1/02
"Happydog" <dgra...@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message news:<o8Yp8.33667$y26.8...@typhoon.tampabay.rr.com>...

Just a few thoughts here.

First, just because someone proposed what seemed like a good idea does
not mean that every such idea is in fact good.

For instance, while a downtown trolley may have been proposed (though
this is the first I have heard of it), it seems to me that a downtown
trolley is a bad idea. What is it meant solve, exactly.

If it is parking -- during daytime, there is now free parking at the
civic center and as I understand it, free buses that make the loop
from there, past the Roanoke hotel to pick up folks, and then through
downtown.

After 6, there are at least 2 free parking garages I know of.

If this trolley you describe is meant for actual touring of the city,
then we need something that is not confined to downtown.

As for your beef about the downtown ice skating rink. I remember
seeing the actual plans for this. I think I met someone who was
trying to get the seed money for the investment.

Once again, so what if it was proposed and not built. It seemed to me
to be a really bad plan in the first place. In fact, it was a little
far fetched and too expensive to implement. There were and continue
to be superior sites.

In the meantime, there are ice and roller skating rinks all about the
city. I think they look sort of new. I could be wrong.

They seem quite successful.

As far as a downtown movie theater. Maybe it is a good idea, maybe it
is a bad idea. Maybe putting up ones in neighborhoods adjacent to
downtown would be better.

THe movie theater business is so beleaguered all over the US, I doubt
you can blame Roanoke specifically for movie theater problems. One of
the national chains declared bankruptcy some months ago. If one of
the larger chains is having problems, then Roanoke alone won't solve
it

As far as an IMax theater. I am not sure I remember what that is. Is
this one of those curved screen deals that makes you dizzy? If so, I
believe the Roanoke museum has one. At least, I see the museum
advertising these types of movies in the paper all the time. I don't
remember if I saw the phrase IMax, but I assume the product is much
the same as provided in other museums. I am sure someone will correct
me if I am wrong

As far as warehouse row, Salem Avenue is now a two way street,
apparently a change made to help this development along.

There is a great deal of construction going on down there right now.
I am not sure what it is for, but it may well be to prepare for the
expansion of warehouse row.

Just from eyeballing it, I noticed the other day, driving by, that
there are quite a few buildings with tenants there now.
I noticed someone rehabbed one of the buildings and it is either a
computer place or something technological. They did a great job with
the facade.

I know that, just last week, someone contacted me to ask me to exhibit
something . They introduced themselves as the new owners of the
gallery on warehouse row. I will have to check this out more closely,
but I don't think it is quite the fantasy that you suggest.

I also have heard that the Jefferson center, aka the old Jefferson
high school is doing a great job. They are apparently expanding into
surrounding territory.
This is not technically downtown, but certainly adjacent. I think I
heard there are some sort of plans to do an artists loft type thing
around there.

The development there is sure to impact the downtown area positively.

Minerva

Apr 1, 2002, 7:44:26 PM4/1/02
"Happydog" <dgra...@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message news:<o8Yp8.33667$y26.8...@typhoon.tampabay.rr.com>...
> >I think he has it as a macro. One of those programmable keyboards you
> >can assign a string of text to.
> >
> >he has his 'I hate roanoke' rant in it.
> >

> Count me in on this one. Its just a matter of time. All of you will get to
> know and hate the place sooner or later. I mean, what is there to love? The
> merchants that like to act as if they are doing you a favor? The beautiful
> structures, Poff Building, FU Tower, NS Building and Hotel Roanoke, the rest
> are falling into the streets. The four newspapers that report the same
> thing? Senior News, Vinton Messenger, Salem Times Register and the Roanoke
> Times.The downtown movie house, the ice skating rink downtown, the IMax
> theatre downtown, the downtown tourist trolley? Warehouse Row Shops and
> Restaurants. Oh, sorry, that is what was planned, forgot.

ok being a nonnative, I just have to ask

what in HEYL is the FU Tower

Does it have something to do with Pearl Fu

Or are those initials standing for something like Fug U

Or is it short for a school name

ockham

Apr 1, 2002, 8:00:12 PM4/1/02
"Minerva" <minerv...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

First Union (Bank) Tower, called FU as a joke. When they came in and bought
Dominion Bank, the sign was changed from Dominion Tower to First Union
Tower. People were so upset at the hostile takeover that they called the
tower, FU Roanoke.

Where do you live, nonnative?

mikey

Minerva

Apr 1, 2002, 8:18:42 PM4/1/02
>First Union (Bank) Tower, called FU as a joke. When they came in and bought
>Dominion Bank, the sign was changed from Dominion Tower to First Union
>Tower. People were so upset at the hostile takeover that they called the
>tower, FU Roanoke.
>

>Where do you live, nonnative?
>
>mikey

ummmm. Roanoke?

Well, if you mean which neighborhood, I don't know that my "neighborhood" has a name

I guess "down the road a piece, from Tanglewood Mall" would describe it best

ockham

Apr 1, 2002, 8:53:56 PM4/1/02
"Minerva" <minerv...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

Oh, I thought you meant non-resident. Of course nonnative means you were not
born here. Stupid of me.

I am a native resident.
Happydog is a native non-resident.
Don is a nonnative non-resident.

(and I thought all that stuff about first cousin once-removed was tough.)

mikey

Lester Mosley

Apr 1, 2002, 9:07:38 PM4/1/02

[snip]

>Count me in on this one. Its just a matter of time. All of you will get to
>know and hate the place sooner or later. I mean, what is there to love? The
>merchants that like to act as if they are doing you a favor?

Actually I get better service from local merchants than I do in other
cities.
>.The downtown movie house,

Still being planned, just trying to get the land they wanted is the
hard part.

> the ice skating rink downtown,

Well there is on by the airport now. Don't think Roanoke can support
two of them, again I have no clue how the existing one does business.

>the IMax theatre downtown,

They talked about this. There is not the population to support one.
These things are not cheap. Movies are not cheap.

>the downtown tourist trolley?

This is a bad idea. now the incline up mill mountain might be good
idea again, but question is there the traffic to support it?

>Warehouse Row Shops and Restaurants. Oh, sorry, that is what was planned, forgot.

Oh yah, as if Roanoke is the only city on earth that planned
something. and didn't follow though.

>Look outward, to Allentown, to Daytona, that is where the "enemy" lies.
>Sorry, no pun intended.

Indeed.

Happydog

Apr 2, 2002, 6:59:21 AM4/2/02
I really like your post.
My criticism is with all the plans and they are reported as if they will
start digging tomorrow. The Roanoke Times reports them like they are a done
deal.
The trolley was to go from the market to the Transportation Museum.
Its really nice to hear warehouse row is finally being developed. There is a
lot of potential there. The fact is there is a lot of potential in all of
downtown Roanoke but those myopic people hired by the screwballs elected are
never going to do anything but fill the opening they are hired for.
I'm sure they want all the development to be in the market area to protect
the merchants there.
With all the parking available downtown there could be businesses located
from the Courthouse to 581 and from Elmwoow Park to the railroad tracks.
Put a beat cop in every block or two and people wouldn't mind walking, it
could be a benefit.
But it will never happen. The city is too strapped for money to see beyond
what they can, "git."

Happydog:)

John Hancock

Apr 7, 2002, 11:36:10 AM4/7/02
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this group so let me introduce myself........

My name is John and I live in London, England.

One of my favourite places on this planet of ours is none other than
Roanoke Va,......why you might ask?

I live in the hustle and bustle of what is London........filled with
arrogant, unfriendly people who don't give a damn about anyone or
anything except themselves and money.

I was introduced to the Roanoke Valley 10 years ago whilst attending a
convention and immediately fell in love with the area. It is the
complete opposite of what I am used to and I have been back every year
ever since (sometimes 3 times a year) one of my best friends lives in
Roanoke County and works for WVTF Public Radio.......

I find it very hard to put into words why I like Roanoke and its
people so much but I do.......one of my favourite places to visit is
the Mill Mountain Coffee Shop downtown......

After the events of 9/11 I was very afraid to fly even though it was
something I enjoyed doing. I was scheduled to go three weeks after the
disaster.

I found security at all airports very tight (London, Chicago, Dulles
and Roanoke) and this eased my fears........

It was still the same three weeks ago when I came over last!

John

http://www.usenet.com

ockham

Apr 7, 2002, 1:06:02 PM4/7/02
Welcome to the newsgroup for Paradise.

mikey

"John Hancock" <johndt...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Happydog

Apr 7, 2002, 1:01:47 PM4/7/02

John Hancock wrote

>I live in the hustle and bustle of what is London........filled with
>arrogant, unfriendly people who don't give a damn about anyone or
>anything except themselves and money.

Well stick around awhile and you'll swear you were back in London with
everyone having a hillbilly accent. Except for the money. No one has any
money in Roanoke and never will have.
The MMC is a pretty neat little place because they didn't have any money
either and bought those rickety tables and chairs. It made it look like they
were really going for the coffee shop look and not competing with Starbucks.
LA had the same kind back in the fifties.

Happydog:)

ockham

Apr 7, 2002, 2:00:52 PM4/7/02

"Happydog" <dgra...@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message

No they didn't.
LA has the same kind in the '02s.
You show your age and your poor memory.

mikey

Happydog

Apr 7, 2002, 2:54:39 PM4/7/02
I have a memory better than most anyone I have ever run into. As to the age,
most say I don't look 71. No, Not 91 either. Haha.
I don't know what you mean LA has the same kind in the '02s. Do you mean
they still have the kind they had back in the fifties? I have been back
since but not to hang around coffee houses. If they still have them, great!
But don't tell me they didn't have them in the fifties.

HD:)

Lester Mosley

Apr 7, 2002, 4:47:38 PM4/7/02
On Sun, 07 Apr 2002 17:01:47 GMT, "Happydog" <dgra...@cfl.rr.com>
wrote:

Thank god we don't have a 'real' star bucks in Roanoke.
The coffee is bad, and way way overpriced.

Happy, I wish you would stop your bashing and running off of everyone
in this newsgroup. I am quite sick of you. Just Because you don't
like it doesn't mean the rest of the world doesn't. I've met quite a
few folks that now live in Roanoke because of that reason, and have
been here over 10+ years. I know a guy that lives in Germany that
loves it here too.

No Money in Roanoke eh?
I know quite a few people that are well off, I'm not doing to bad
myself. Money isn't everything.

Perhaps this guy likes the 'hillbilly' accent.
I dare you to go to Atlanta and say that in some parts of downtown.
Go ahead. try it. Comon' happy I know you think you can handle it.

But Hey again, some of us like Small town america.
get over it. not all of us are like you.

John Hancock

Apr 7, 2002, 7:23:11 PM4/7/02
On Sun, 07 Apr 2002 20:47:38 GMT, Lester Mosley
<Lester...@hotmail.com> wrote:

To be completely honest, I've only met a half dozen people in Roanoke
who I think I would classify as arrogant.......and one of them was a
yellow cab driver.

Yeh, I like the hillbilly accent, my buddy who I stay with would have
once upon a time classified himself as a "redneck" because he doesn't
originally hail from Roanoke, he's from Moneta!

Yeh, I like Roanoke and I'm sure there are some arrogant people around
but as of yet I haven't met 'em (and I have been coming at least 3
times a year for 10 years!)

I visited DC and Chicago but to be honest it was like being in
London.....I do like the smaller quieter town and the
country.............

As it happens I'm just planning my next visit right now for June!

>Thank god we don't have a 'real' star bucks in Roanoke.
>The coffee is bad, and way way overpriced.
>

>Happy, I wish you would stop your bashing and running off of everyone
>in this newsgroup. I am quite sick of you. Just Because you don't
>like it doesn't mean the rest of the world doesn't. I've met quite a
>few folks that now live in Roanoke because of that reason, and have
>been here over 10+ years. I know a guy that lives in Germany that
>loves it here too.
>
>No Money in Roanoke eh?
>I know quite a few people that are well off, I'm not doing to bad
>myself. Money isn't everything.
>
>Perhaps this guy likes the 'hillbilly' accent.
>I dare you to go to Atlanta and say that in some parts of downtown.
>Go ahead. try it. Comon' happy I know you think you can handle it.
>

>But Hey again, some of us like Small town america.
>get over it. not all of us are like you.

Lester Mosley

Apr 7, 2002, 10:45:39 PM4/7/02
On Mon, 08 Apr 2002 00:23:11 +0100, John Hancock
<johndt...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 07 Apr 2002 20:47:38 GMT, Lester Mosley
><Lester...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>To be completely honest, I've only met a half dozen people in Roanoke
>who I think I would classify as arrogant.......and one of them was a
>yellow cab driver.
>
>Yeh, I like the hillbilly accent, my buddy who I stay with would have
>once upon a time classified himself as a "redneck" because he doesn't
>originally hail from Roanoke, he's from Moneta!
>
>Yeh, I like Roanoke and I'm sure there are some arrogant people around
>but as of yet I haven't met 'em (and I have been coming at least 3
>times a year for 10 years!)
>
>I visited DC and Chicago but to be honest it was like being in
>London.....I do like the smaller quieter town and the
>country.............
>

>As it happens I'm just planning my next visit right now for June!

Glad to hear it. Sorry to say I haven't had the chance to visit
London. I almost took a one week trip to Ireland, but things came up.

But, however, I am making my way to Germany, (Homburg) , Paris,
Amsterdam and Massritch.

Looking forward to seeing those areas.

Happydog

Apr 8, 2002, 8:01:47 AM4/8/02
I run everyone off????
Not me! I read every post and if bashing Roanoke runs them off then so be
it.
There is just sooooo much to bash.
I don't deny there is a lot of people with money in Roanoke but they damned
sure aren't going to spend it in Roanoke, or, on Roanoke. That's how they
got the money, it was inherited, they married it, or it was made many years
ago in Roanoke, or made somewhere else. Throwing it away by investing in
Roanoke is a certain way to join the great unwashed there.
The well dressed lady that was showing her out-of-town friends the market
area still sticks in my mind. She was telling them she hadn't been there in
years and one replied, "I can certainly see why."

Happydog:)

Lester Mosley wrote

Happydog

Apr 8, 2002, 8:08:11 AM4/8/02

Lester Mosley wrote

>Glad to hear it. Sorry to say I haven't had the chance to visit
>London. I almost took a one week trip to Ireland, but things came up.
>
>But, however, I am making my way to Germany, (Homburg) , Paris,
>Amsterdam and Massritch.
>
>Looking forward to seeing those areas.

Yeah, same with me, I haven't had a chance to visit London either, but I'm
going to DeLand sometimes this week and may take a side trip to Flagler
Beach. I almost went to Cedar Key once.

Don and I have left the area so you won't find any arrogance in Roanoke now.

Happydog:)