[WiML] Women in Machine Learning Workshop- Second Call for Abstracts

Women In Machine Learning Workshop

Sep 27, 2010, 12:23:56 AM9/27/10
CALL FOR ABSTRACTS

Workshop for Women in Machine Learning
Co-located with NIPS, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Monday, December 6, 2010
http://www.wimlworkshop.org

Deadline for abstract submissions **EXTENDED**: October 1, 2010
Travel stipends are available for all presenters.

ABSTRACT SUBMISSION

We strongly encourage female post-docs, graduate students, and
undergraduate students in all areas of machine learning to submit
an abstract (500 words or less) describing either new or previously
published research. Authors of accepted abstracts will be asked to
present their work in a poster session. Substantial travel stipends will
be awarded to all presenters in need of travel support.

Abstracts should be submitted via the workshop website:
http://www.wimlworkshop.org

INTRODUCTION

Machine learning is one of the fastest growing areas of computer
science research. Search engines, face recognition, DNA sequence
analysis, speech and handwriting recognition, credit card fraud
detection, premature baby monitoring and autonomous locomotion are
just some of the applications in which machine learning is routinely
used.

In spite of the wide reach of machine learning and the variety of
theory and applications it covers, the percentage of female
researchers is lower than in many other areas of computer science.
Most women working in machine learning rarely get the chance to
interact with other female researchers, making it easy to feel
isolated and hard to find role models.

This day-long workshop gives female faculty, research scientists, and
graduate students in the machine learning community an opportunity to
meet, exchange ideas and learn from each other. Underrepresented
minorities and undergraduates interested in pursuing machine learning
research are encouraged to participate.

Workshop registration is free.

WORKSHOP FORMAT

The one-day workshop will consist of talks by established researchers,
a poster session for graduate students to showcase their research,
mentoring sessions and panel discussions to address current research
trends and career choices in machine learning.
Important Dates

* October 1, 2010 - Paper Submission Deadline
* October 15, 2010 - Notification of Acceptance
* November 1, 2010 - Registration Deadline
* December 6, 2010 - WiML Workshop

WiML 2010 Organizers
Annie Lee (University of Waterloo)
Diane Oyen (University of New Mexico)
Kate Saenko (University of California, Berkeley)
Faculty Advisor: Marie desJardins (University of Maryland, Baltimore County)

"José Antonio Martín H."

Sep 28, 2010, 4:32:46 AM9/28/10
to rl-...@googlegroups.com
Isn't it disgusting for Women?

El 27/09/2010 6:23, Women In Machine Learning Workshop escribi�:

Jos� Antonio Mart�n H. PhD.
Departamento de Arquitectura de Computadores y Autom�tica.
Facultad de Inform�tica
Universidad Complutense de Madrid
C/ Profesor Jos� Garc�a Santesmases s/n. 28040 Madrid
http://www.dia.fi.upm.es/~jamartin/
mailto://jama...@fdi.ucm.es
"El orden es el recurso no renovable m�s importante"
"Order is the truly nonrenewable resource."

Aisha

Sep 28, 2010, 11:56:23 AM9/28/10
to Reinforcement Learning Mailing List
I think this is a debatable issue.

As a female researcher, I would rather people to base their
assessments merely on academic merits.
Letting someone in only because of their gender, I think will
eventually do much harm than good.

But what a woman would do, if she goes to all these conferences but
can't fill herself in?
Some would stop participating, others don't really care?
I think this is for those who are affected by that..

Thanks for saying that out loud, was quite honest :)
Aisha

On Sep 28, 9:32 am, "José Antonio Martín H." <jamart...@fdi.ucm.es>

Jordan Frank

Sep 28, 2010, 12:19:43 PM9/28/10
to rl-...@googlegroups.com
Hi friends,

I really hope that I'm not way out of line posting this, but I
_strongly_ feel that this list is absolutely not the venue for such a
discussion to take place*. I hope that this is the last message in
this thread.

Respectfully and sincerely,
Jordan Frank

* To be completely clear: it's not the initial posting that I'm
concerned about, that was obviously appropriate. It's the subsequent
discussion that I'm concerned about, .

"José Antonio Martín H."

Sep 28, 2010, 1:41:10 PM9/28/10
to rl-...@googlegroups.com
Dear Jordan and Friends.

I thought that this list was an electronic resource to allow the
interchange of ideas between RL researchers, and also, of course, to
keep in touch with the RL community.

This includes conference announcements, carer announcements, congrats on
achievements, call for papers, and just saying hello world to the RL
community and just to keep in touch.

Otherwise we should think seriously in asking Thomson to include rl-list
in the SCI science citation index and to have an impact factor for this
list.

I really don't feel that talking about non-paper or theoretical issues
is off-topic.

What about if I want to talk about that RL has not good reputation in
some countries (for any reasons -including political or religion-) and
that maybe is a good idea to organize some workshop there to show its
advantages?

This is RL research as well as asking if Women feels comfortable with a
dedicated conference. This is RL research as well!

We are almost all friends here and so we can have educated talks about
general issues affecting our scientific community.

Best,
Jose.

El 28/09/2010 18:19, Jordan Frank escribi�:

> Hi friends,
>
> I really hope that I'm not way out of line posting this, but I
> _strongly_ feel that this list is absolutely not the venue for such a
> discussion to take place*. I hope that this is the last message in
> this thread.
>
> Respectfully and sincerely,
> Jordan Frank
>
> * To be completely clear: it's not the initial posting that I'm
> concerned about, that was obviously appropriate. It's the subsequent
> discussion that I'm concerned about, .
>

> On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 5:56 PM, Aisha<aama...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I think this is a debatable issue.
>>
>> As a female researcher, I would rather people to base their
>> assessments merely on academic merits.
>> Letting someone in only because of their gender, I think will
>> eventually do much harm than good.
>>
>> But what a woman would do, if she goes to all these conferences but
>> can't fill herself in?
>> Some would stop participating, others don't really care?
>> I think this is for those who are affected by that..
>>
>> Thanks for saying that out loud, was quite honest :)
>> Aisha
>>

>> On Sep 28, 9:32 am, "Jos� Antonio Mart�n H."<jamart...@fdi.ucm.es>

>> wrote:
>>> Isn't it disgusting for Women?

Thomas G. Dietterich

Sep 28, 2010, 1:55:07 PM9/28/10
to rl-...@googlegroups.com
I think it is off topic.

Thomas G. Dietterich Voice: 541-737-5559
School of EECS FAX: 541-737-1300
1148 Kelley Engineering Center URL: http://eecs.oregonstate.edu/~tgd
Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR 97331-5501

> >> --
> >

> --

> José Antonio Martín H. PhD.
> Departamento de Arquitectura de Computadores y Automática.
> Facultad de Informática
> Universidad Complutense de Madrid
> C/ Profesor José García Santesmases s/n. 28040 Madrid
> http://www.dia.fi.upm.es/~jamartin/
> mailto://jama...@fdi.ucm.es
> "El orden es el recurso no renovable más importante"

> "Order is the truly nonrenewable resource."

winmail.dat

Brian Tanner

Sep 28, 2010, 2:11:33 PM9/28/10
to rl-...@googlegroups.com
It *is* off topic. Officially (now, since I'm the administrator).
This is a list for reinforcement-learning topics. There are over 800
subscribers, and most of them are busy people, so we should all be
sensitive to that and keep posts here relevant to the reasons they
have subscribed.

I'm sure there are many forums, mailing lists, and facebook groups for
discussing peripheral topics with people who are participating with
that intention.

This list is moderated primarily to keep it spam free. I usually just
whitelist any user who is not posting spam, but I'd rather not have to
revisit that policy and read every message.

--
Brian Tanner
Ph.D Student

Joelle Pineau

Sep 28, 2010, 5:53:49 PM9/28/10
to rl-...@googlegroups.com
I realize this topic has now been declared off-topic, but I hope the
moderators will humour me, and let me put out a positive word about this
event.

It is worth pointing out that this meeting has an important mentoring
dimension, which can be useful for interested young researchers. The 2008
edition, which I attended and enjoyed, had many attendees of both genders,
who were drawn by the outstanding list of guest speakers. And while this
may not be everyone's cup of tea, there is something refreshing, once in a
rare while, to sit in a room full of talented, friendly, motivated and
inspiring women. Nothing disgusting about that!

Joelle