Problems with blogspot feeds

Adam Curry

Feb 15, 2012, 3:34:37 AM2/15/12
to river2
I'm not sure what level of support of Atom feeds to expect in river2,
but I've been seeing a problem for a while now, and am pretty sure
something changed on blogspot.com with their Atom feeds.

When I subscribe to a feed like this: http://venitism.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default

The feed that gets parsed and displayed when clicking on a story in my
River of News is this: http://venitism.blogspot.com/feeds/8572075396722689632/comments/default

For some reason although the headlines and truncated stories display
properly in my RoN, the url link goes to the comments of the post,
which results in a display error.

This is replicable with all blogspot.com Atom feeds

AC

Dave Winer

Feb 15, 2012, 9:08:08 AM2/15/12
to river2...@googlegroups.com
I don't really watch this stuff very carefully, and our code *used* to work with their Atom feeds. Somewhere along the line something must have changed? I have no clue.

If anyone wants to follow along, the relevant code in opml.root is at xml.rss.getFeedItems.

I'm looking for a technote or other post that explains the changes, if any, from Google.

If I don't find anything, I'll probably just try to fix it so it works for blogspot, but without adding any code that says "if this is blogspot then do this." That's the path to hell.

Dave

Ted Howard

Feb 15, 2012, 9:43:39 AM2/15/12
to river2...@googlegroups.com
I noticed this too awhile back. I should have said something then, but I found a workaround for blogspot feeds. You can add ?alt=rss to the end of the feed url and get an rss feed. This seems to be a problem specific to bloodspot because I follow other Atom feeds with river2 just fine. (ex: http://daringfireball.net/index.xml)

Ted

Dave Winer

Feb 15, 2012, 9:47:24 AM2/15/12
to river2...@googlegroups.com
I can't fix the bug by doing that. I'm not willing, yet, to put special code into River2 that's specific to any single content source.

I just posted about this on scripting.com, hoping to cast the net wider.

http://scripting.com/stories/2012/02/15/blogspotsAtomFeedsChanged.html

Dave

Dave Winer

Feb 15, 2012, 10:19:47 AM2/15/12
to river2...@googlegroups.com
Should be fixed, blogspot Atom feeds should work now.

http://worknotes.scripting.com/february2012/21512ByDw/problemsWithBlogspotAtomFeeds/

Thanks to Dan and Ted for their excellent help. :-)

Dave

PS: Sounds like a movie. Dan and Ted's Excellent Help.

Adam Curry

Feb 15, 2012, 1:51:42 PM2/15/12
to river2
Great community work on this one.

Haven't had any new posts comeinto my aggregator to confirm this is
working, but will report back either way.

fyi Dave, the link to your worknote is throwing a 500 server error:
Can't find a sub-table named "htmlCache".

AC

On Feb 15, 9:19 am, Dave Winer <dave.wi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Should be fixed, blogspot Atom feeds should work now.
>
> http://worknotes.scripting.com/february2012/21512ByDw/problemsWithBlo...
>
> Thanks to Dan and Ted for their excellent help. :-)
>
> Dave
>
> PS: Sounds like a movie. Dan and Ted's Excellent Help.
>

> On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 9:47 AM, Dave Winer <dave.wi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I can't fix the bug by doing that. I'm not willing, yet, to put special
> > code into River2 that's specific to any single content source.
>
> > I just posted about this on scripting.com, hoping to cast the net wider.
>
> >http://scripting.com/stories/2012/02/15/blogspotsAtomFeedsChanged.html
>
> > Dave
>
> > On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 9:43 AM, Ted Howard <tedchow...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> I noticed this too awhile back. I should have said something then, but I
> >> found a workaround for blogspot feeds. You can add ?alt=rss to the end of
> >> the feed url and get an rss feed. This seems to be a problem specific to
> >> bloodspot because I follow other Atom feeds with river2 just fine. (ex:
> >>http://daringfireball.net/index.xml)
>
> >> Ted
>
> >> On Feb 15, 2012, at 8:08 AM, Dave Winer wrote:
>
> >> I don't really watch this stuff very carefully, and our code *used* to
> >> work with their Atom feeds. Somewhere along the line something must have
> >> changed? I have no clue.
>
> >> If anyone wants to follow along, the relevant code in opml.root is at
> >> xml.rss.getFeedItems.
>
> >> I'm looking for a technote or other post that explains the changes, if
> >> any, from Google.
>
> >> If I don't find anything, I'll probably just try to fix it so it works
> >> for blogspot, but without adding any code that says "if this is blogspot
> >> then do this." That's the path to hell.
>
> >> Dave

Adam Curry

Feb 15, 2012, 2:57:02 PM2/15/12
to river2
Checking back in, blogspot feeds are now working correctly.

Thanks again for the fix!

AC