This is what a river looks like

Dave Winer

Dec 30, 2010, 4:15:04 PM12/30/10
to River of news
There's been some "conceptual drift" here that's not going to ber very
good if it persists.

This is a screen shot of a river.

http://scripting.com/images/2010/12/30/river.gif

I don't have to poke at anything to see the new stuff. I just scroll
through the items. My eyes do the work, not my mouse.

I love outliners, don't get me wrong, and I'm going to ask you guys to
write some outliner browsers, later -- but a river is not an outline.

The big picture goal here is to build something that works as smoothly
as Twitter, but using open formats and protocols, and not requiring it
all to live on one company's servers.

To quickly read the new stuff, we need rivers, not outlines.

And of course you can build whatever you like to browse the data, but
please don't call it a river if it's a structured list you have to
poke around in to find the new stuff.

Dave

Kosso

Dec 30, 2010, 4:25:30 PM12/30/10
to river-...@googlegroups.com
I was actually going to say that it occurred to me that my 'modified' data feed was not a 'river' per-se

I didn't realise that there was a specific 'goal' here which had to be applied to your liking.

I guess my interface appears as an 'outliner' to you.
I guess I'll call it something else. A 'River Delta Of News?' ;p
Message has been deleted

kosso

Dec 30, 2010, 4:41:00 PM12/30/10
to River of news
I have renamed my interface "WikiDelta"

On Dec 30, 1:25 pm, Kosso <kos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was actually going to say that it occurred to me that my 'modified' data
> feed was not a 'river' per-se
>
> I didn't realise that there was a specific 'goal' here which had to be
> applied to your liking.
>
> I guess my interface appears as an 'outliner' to you.
> I guess I'll call it something else. A 'River Delta Of News?' ;p

kosso

Dec 30, 2010, 4:59:51 PM12/30/10
to River of news
I think Nicolas Gallagher's WikiRiver is the best solution to what
you're after.

http://nicolasgallagher.com/rivers/wikileaks/

kosso

Dec 30, 2010, 5:22:11 PM12/30/10
to River of news
"A delta is a landform that is formed at the mouth of a river where
that river flows into an ocean, sea, estuary, lake, reservoir, flat
arid area, or another river. Deltas are formed from the deposition of
the sediment carried by the river as the flow leaves the mouth of the
river. Over long periods of time, this deposition builds the
characteristic geographic pattern of a river delta."

:)