Message-editor for the river (mock-up)

Dave Winer

Feb 10, 2011, 11:00:41 AM2/10/11
to River of news
Using Photoshop, I mocked up where I want to go next with the
beautiful river stuff.

http://scripting.com/images/2011/02/10/nextStepInRivers.gif

All I did was split the page horizontally and add a box where I can
add a message to my output stream. I already have the back-end for
this completed and debugged. I have a UI, but it's a pretty ugly HTML
form. The goal is to integrate the two.

Here's a screen shot of the form I'm actually using, that's
functional.

http://scripting.com/images/2011/02/10/messageEditor.gif

Note about the editor.

1. The pop-up menu says which feed the item goes to. I can manage more
than one.

2. The full link is entered in its own box.

3. There's a link to the feed (the white-on-orange XML icon).

4. There's a link that pings TwitterFeed saying the feed has updated.

5. The number is a count of the characters in the box. I'm going to
allow you to set a limit and it will turn red whne you go over the
limit. (Not implemented yet.)

There's also a message area, to the right of the popup-menu, but since
there is no message being displayed you can't see it. This is for
confirmation messages like "Updated feed" or "Successfully pinged
TwitterFeed."

I see this evolving quite a bit, but this is the core functionality.
With these two pieces integrated, there will be the equivalent of a
Twitter client that only uses RSS to communicate.

I would love it if Nicolas or Martin or someone new worked with me on
adapting the River viewer so it had this UI gadget at the top.

Dave