start sector not before last sector

gaelicWizard

Nov 6, 2009, 5:42:42 PM11/6/09
to RipIt Users
The people on the HandBrake forum are telling me that RipIt is
producing bad output. I've used RipIt on all three discs of Family
Guy: Volume 7 and on The Big Lebowski bonus disc. On nearly all the
titles of each disc of Family Guy, HandBrake reports "ERROR: scan:
cell_adr_table[1].start_sector (0x0) is not before last_sector (0x0) -
skipping title", so I can't encode that title. Since it does that on
every episode, I can't encode any of the episodes. On The Big Lebowski
bonus disc, title 18 (a "making of" on the dream sequences) produces
the same error. All the relevant parts play just fine in DVD Player.

It seems like RipIt's reauthoring is doing something odd so that
HandBrake is choking.

Thanks,
JP

P.S. I'm using the post-0.9.3 snapshots for HandBrake. HandBrake 0.9.3
does rip those titles, but the folks on the forums are refusing to fix
it on the grounds that HandBrake is just being more careful about what
it accepts and that the problem is in the source anyway.

Scott

Nov 7, 2009, 12:48:47 PM11/7/09
to RipIt Users
JP, do you have ISBN numbers for those exact versions by chance? If
so, I'll get them ordered to reproduce and debug the issue.

In the mean time I'm adding Handbrake to my test pattern to see if I
can reproduce it on other discs. So far, I've tried about 17 discs in
RipIt 1.2.13f to Handbrake 0.9.3 without any errors. Are there any
other details on reproducing the problem that might help me narrow it
down? I'll continue testing more discs and hopefully be able to order
the ones you've experienced the problem. I'm anxious to get this one
solved quickly.

Thanks, Scott
The Little App Factory Pty. Ltd.

Scott

Nov 7, 2009, 3:41:10 PM11/7/09
to RipIt Users
Okay, I've found several discs that report the error in Handbrake
processing.

I'll start debugging into them now. Thanks for the heads up.

Scott

gaelicWizard

Nov 7, 2009, 9:22:46 PM11/7/09
to RipIt Users
HandBrake 0.9.3 reports the error, but allows the encode to continue.
The newer HandBrake snapshots do not. The newer snapshots refuse to
allow the title with the error to be used _at all_. (I believe that
HandBrake is being dumb about this (refusing to even try), but never-
the-less the originating problem seems to be in the RipIt-output.)

Thanks for being so on-top of this. I wish all app developers were so
responsive.

Happy Customer,
JP

Scott

Nov 9, 2009, 11:52:08 AM11/9/09
to RipIt Users
Thanks JP,

I have a new beta build, if you would like to test. (version 1.2.13g)
http://files.thelittleappfactory.com/ripit/RipIt-beta-next.zip

I haven't pushed this out on the beta line just yet, since I finished
it last night. I found the place where some sector addresses were
being reset to 0,0. I've modified this and rerun a few in Handbrake
and seems to solve the problem. However, I'm still in the process of
testing more thoroughly.

Thank you for the feedback!
Scott, TLAF

gaelicWizard

Nov 14, 2009, 12:56:06 AM11/14/09
to RipIt Users
HandBrake doesn't produce any error messages when encoding from the
output of 1.2.13g.
HandBrake _does_ fail (just like 1.2.13f) on 1.3 and on 1.3b.

Thanks for being on top of this.

JP