Renaming Helma NG

Hannes Wallnoefer

Feb 17, 2010, 11:26:20 AM2/17/10
to Helma NG
It seems like the Helma 1/NG duality is a constant cause for
confusion, especially for people who are new to either project. So
after some months of talking and thinking, I and other contributors
have come to the conclusion that it's best to give Helma NG a new name
and identity decoupled from the Helma "brand".

Unless someone here comes up with a brilliant suggestion, the new name
for Helma NG will be "Ringo", or "RingoJS" for disambiguation. earl
(Andreas Bolka) came up with this name as a smart variation on Rhino.
I liked its sound and the fact that it's one of the coolest drummers
in music history, and most people I talked with thought it was ok.
Please let me know what you think.

I've set up a minimal wiki site at http://ringojs.org/ and a new
google group at http://groups.google.com/group/ringojs, and earl has
started a #ringojs IRC channel at irc.freenode.net. I'll also rename
the github repository soon.

Regarding continuity, I don't plan to make any big changes in the
transition, but I plan to do a few things slightly different from now
on. For starters, I plan to position Ringo firmly as CommonJS runtime,
not as web framework like Helma 1. The current JSGI support based on
Jetty and related basic libraries for parameter parsing etc will
remain part of Ringo, but everything beyond that will likely become
separate projects. With that, the first Ringo release (what would have
been Helma NG 0.4) should be ready soon.

I also want to do a better job at encouraging contributions from other
developers. One thing I plan is to make better use of the IRC channel.
I especially invite you to join the IRC channel now as many smaller
things regarding the renaming will be discussed there. I also propose
to have regular (weekly? fortnightly? monthly?) meetings on IRC open
to anybody interested. Any suggestions for what day/time we should do
these?

Hannes

Robert Thurnher

Feb 17, 2010, 12:14:46 PM2/17/10
to helm...@googlegroups.com
On 17 February 2010 17:26, Hannes Wallnoefer <han...@helma.at> wrote:

> [...]

> Regarding continuity, I don't plan to make any big changes in the
> transition, but I plan to do a few things slightly different from now
> on. For starters, I plan to position Ringo firmly as CommonJS runtime,
> not as web framework like Helma 1. The current JSGI support based on
> Jetty and related basic libraries for parameter parsing etc will
> remain part of Ringo, but everything beyond that will likely become
> separate projects. With that, the first Ringo release (what would have
> been Helma NG 0.4) should be ready soon.

Good news. Much appreciated.

> I also want to do a better job at encouraging contributions from other
> developers. One thing I plan is to make better use of the IRC channel.
> I especially invite you to join the IRC channel now as many smaller
> things regarding the renaming will be discussed there. I also propose
> to have regular (weekly? fortnightly? monthly?) meetings on IRC open
> to anybody interested. Any suggestions for what day/time we should do
> these?

Great, so here's a proposal to start off with weekly ones and then see
how it goes?
E.g., each Sunday (at a daytime as internationally fitting as possible)?

-- Robert T.

PS: looking forward to some fresh progress in this space.

--
http://soup.robert42.com

pnewhook

Feb 17, 2010, 3:28:47 PM2/17/10
to Helma NG
I like RingoJS. It's going to be way easier to google than "Ringo".

Christian Langreiter

Feb 17, 2010, 3:42:57 PM2/17/10
to helm...@googlegroups.com
> I like RingoJS. It's going to be way easier to google than "Ringo".

Or, in keeping with Node.js, Ringo.js. And, since fans of The Other
Ringo are already using #ringo, #ringojs as "official hashtag"?

Bye bye, Helma NG! Long live Ringo! ;-)

-- Chris

Simon Oberhammer

Feb 18, 2010, 3:03:51 AM2/18/10
to Helma NG
On Feb 17, 9:42 pm, Christian Langreiter <ch...@langreiter.com> wrote:
> > I like RingoJS. It's going to be way easier to google than "Ringo".

me too happy with RingoJS! .. and we're already first result for
"ringojs" :)

looking forward to rocking with ringo.

greeting
simon

Hannes Wallnoefer

Feb 18, 2010, 6:28:06 AM2/18/10
to helm...@googlegroups.com
So there seems to be a consensus on RingoJS. I've updated all
references of Ringo I could find.

I propose we continue this and any other discussions on the ringojs
group. I'd like to put the helma-ng group into archive mode soon to
avoid redundancy. If you haven't subscribed to the new group please
consider doing so now!