40 mile 10 Hill Challenge

rangelin

Jul 29, 2009, 1:30:36 AM7/29/09
to RideMore
I have this crazy idea of trying to climb 10 big hills in 40 miles.
Would anyone ever want to try to attempt such a thing? I don't know if
I could keep up with the group on such a crazy venture.

I have it mapped on MapMyRide.com
http://www.mapmyride.com/route/us/tn/apison/632124884525855405

Here is a shorter 26 mile 8 hill challenge.
http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-states/tn/-mcdonald/782124884274814644

Paul

Jul 29, 2009, 6:39:07 AM7/29/09
to RideMore
I like the way you think.

On Jul 29, 1:30 am, rangelin <range...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have this crazy idea of trying to climb 10 big hills in 40 miles.
> Would anyone ever want to try to attempt such a thing? I don't know if
> I could keep up with the group on such a crazy venture.
>
> I have it mapped on MapMyRide.comhttp://www.mapmyride.com/route/us/tn/apison/632124884525855405
>
> Here is a shorter 26 mile 8 hill challenge.http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-states/tn/-mcdonald/782124884274...

jffa...@aol.com

Jul 29, 2009, 11:46:09 AM7/29/09
to ride...@googlegroups.com
Sounds great, let's do it Sunday.  BTW what are you doing up at 1:30 am?

danceswithsquirrels

Jul 29, 2009, 6:19:44 PM7/29/09
to RideMore
Hey sounds good for this sunday maybe we regroup at the bottom of each
hill to stay together

On Jul 29, 1:30 am, rangelin <range...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have this crazy idea of trying to climb 10 big hills in 40 miles.
> Would anyone ever want to try to attempt such a thing? I don't know if
> I could keep up with the group on such a crazy venture.
>
> I have it mapped on MapMyRide.comhttp://www.mapmyride.com/route/us/tn/apison/632124884525855405
>
> Here is a shorter 26 mile 8 hill challenge.http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-states/tn/-mcdonald/782124884274...

rangelin

Jul 29, 2009, 10:58:17 PM7/29/09
to RideMore
I got carried away plotting the bike route :) I've got to go to bed
earlier tonight. I ready to try this ride, can't guarantee I can keep
up.

On Jul 29, 11:46 am, jffar...@aol.com wrote:
> Sounds great, let's do it Sunday.? BTW what are you doing up at 1:30 am?

rangelin

Aug 1, 2009, 5:11:10 PM8/1/09
to RideMore
I'm recovering from road rash on my arms and bottom that I got on
Thursday. It looks like it will probably be raining tomorrow anyway. I
learned that Rakestraw is a very bad place to be when it is wet. Jimmy
Brooks almost wiped out due to the wet roads. If you want to do this
ride next Sunday I'll be game. I am mending very well and will
hopefully be all better then too.

What happened? Last Thursday Greg Sutherland and I were riding up Bill
Jones road towards Apison. A car was turning onto McGee road stopped
and looked like he was going to wait. But at the last second turn
right in front of us. Greg avoided the car but I either bummed his
back wheel or went down trying to avoid the car. It all happened so
fast. I am fine and my bike will be fine after I re-adjust it. I
learned that I shouldn't draft like normal when the road is wet. And I
hate to admit it but we probably were also riding too fast for the
conditions (25 to 30 mph) but it sure was fun, well before the car! Of
course all this wouldn't have happened if that car had yielded to
oncoming traffic. And of course he didn't stop.

Hope to see you next Sunday.
Randy

jffa...@aol.com

Aug 1, 2009, 8:26:29 PM8/1/09
to ride...@googlegroups.com
Randy, sorry to hear about your fall, hope the healing is quick.  Everyone else, I'm game for a 6:30 ride from the VM as usual.

Franklin

I be there looks like the rain is moving out and will be gone by
6:30am
steve

On Aug 1, 8:26 pm, jffar...@aol.com wrote:
> Randy, sorry to hear about your fall, hope the healing is quick. ?Everyone else, I'm game for a 6:30 ride from the VM as usual.
> On Jul 29, 10:58?pm, rangelin <range...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I got carried away plotting the bike route :) I've got to go to bed
> > earlier tonight. I ready to try this ride, can't guarantee I can keep
> > up.
>
> > On Jul 29, 11:46?am, jffar...@aol.com wrote:
>
> > > Sounds great, let's do it Sunday.? BTW what are you doing up at 1:30 am?

Paul

Aug 2, 2009, 12:45:35 PM8/2/09
to RideMore
The group finally got started at 7:00am with 7 riders, thanks for
waiting for us.

We rode most of what was suggested by Randy, missing some of the route
but none of the hills.

Here's the ride stats:
http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/8682443

My legs are in denial, they don't want to walk, go up stairs, etc.

rangelin

Aug 2, 2009, 2:23:43 PM8/2/09
to RideMore
That is awesome! Almost 4500 feet of climbing around here. I'm am
really bummed I couldn't do it. I hope everyone would like to do it
again some time.

Randy

Paul

Aug 4, 2009, 1:55:05 PM8/4/09
to RideMore
I think the plan was to do it again Sunday, only Clockwise this time.

Anybody In?

jffa...@aol.com

Aug 4, 2009, 8:29:17 PM8/4/09
to ride...@googlegroups.com
I'm gone Sunday,have fun.

rangelin

Aug 4, 2009, 11:56:57 PM8/4/09
to RideMore
I'm in, most definitely! Rode today for 1st time on my bike after my
spill and it felt wonderful. At same time I'm majorly bummed about
Mike whose foot came un-clipped while sprinting causing him to go down
and skinned up. Hope you're feeling OK man.