Kernel Update in Feisty

1 view

threethirty

Sep 4, 2007, 1:45:05 AM9/4/07
to Richmond Linux Users Group
Hi all:

I was just wondering if anyone was having trouble with the latest
kernal update in feisty ( 2.6.20-16) I have ubuntu and debian running
on all of my systems and had varying results:

On my Laptop: I had to reboot twice before it worked

On my girlfriends box: it worked without a hitch (lucky
mumbleneverhadproblemswithupdatesmumble)

on my debian (etch) samba file dump: didn't even have to reboot

on my desktop: all hell breaks loose

-ok here is what happens, When I try to run the update app I get this
error:

E:dpkg was interupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to
correct the problem.
E:_cache->open() failed, please report.

then I open the terminal and run the above mentioned command and it
seems to work so I ran the app again and it seems to have worked this
time and reboot and...

and I'll be damned if it doesn't work as I going through it to write
this post.

I was having all kinds of 'run fsck without parameters', hit 'y'
through a bunch of crap you don't understand, and pray to whomever may
be listening to save your data and install because a reinstall at 1:44
am is not happening....

well it worked so take that update problems

Mark Stosberg

Sep 4, 2007, 9:37:38 AM9/4/07
to Richmond Linux Users Group

> I was just wondering if anyone was having trouble with the latest
> kernal update in feisty ( 2.6.20-16) I have ubuntu and debian running
> on all of my systems and had varying results:

The Ulrich family ran into this on the new Feisty box they have.

I help them set GRUB to boot the previous kernel as a workaround.

They have an old machine with a 433Mhz processor..I'm not sure what
the specs are.

It sounds like there's a bug somewhere! Have you checked the Ubuntu
bug tracker about this?

Mark

threethirty

Sep 4, 2007, 1:20:09 PM9/4/07