Rhino ETL

Demelash Gobeze

Mar 25, 2009, 12:39:35 PM3/25/09
to Rhino Tools Dev
Greetings,

We are very much interested in doing ETL from our old legacy (dinosaur
text based mainframe app) app to SQL Server. Where can I find the
Rhino ETL tool to download as zip file?

Thank you

J Wynia

Mar 25, 2009, 1:08:22 PM3/25/09
to rhino-t...@googlegroups.com
At the moment, the ETL portions of Rhino Tools are still more
do-it-yourself-assembly than use-it-out-of-the-box. There is no tidy
zip file or installer, just the source code. That source code is
definitely usable, but is going to require a little more work on your
part (mine too as I'm getting up to speed with it myself) to get it
working.

If, "build it from the source" is not a statement you'd respond to
with "sure, I'll get back to you after I'm done", it's probably not
quite ready for your project.
--
J Wynia
Software Consultant, Writer and Geek

Demelash Gobeze

Mar 25, 2009, 1:31:38 PM3/25/09
to Rhino Tools Dev
Thanks very much! Well in that case where do I find the source code. I
will create the rest myself.

On Mar 25, 10:08 am, J Wynia <j...@wynia.org> wrote:
> At the moment, the ETL portions of Rhino Tools are still more
> do-it-yourself-assembly than use-it-out-of-the-box. There is no tidy
> zip file or installer, just the source code. That source code is
> definitely usable, but is going to require a little more work on your
> part (mine too as I'm getting up to speed with it myself) to get it
> working.
>
> If, "build it from the source" is not a statement you'd respond to
> with "sure, I'll get back to you after I'm done", it's probably not
> quite ready for your project.

Simone Busoli

Mar 25, 2009, 8:00:40 PM3/25/09
to rhino-t...@googlegroups.com

Josiah Solomon

Mar 26, 2009, 11:55:36 AM3/26/09
to rhino-t...@googlegroups.com
Greetings folks

A newbie here so forgive me. How do I download the files under repository?

Simone Busoli

Mar 26, 2009, 12:18:09 PM3/26/09
to rhino-t...@googlegroups.com
You need a subversion client like TortoiseSVN.

webpaul

Mar 29, 2009, 4:03:05 PM3/29/09
to Rhino Tools Dev
I think it's pretty difficult to get started with Rhino ETL so I made
a little intro article that people can quickly get up to speed on the
basic concepts:

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/cs/ETLWithCSharp.aspx

On Mar 26, 11:18 am, Simone Busoli <simone.bus...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You need a subversion client like TortoiseSVN.
>

> On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 16:55, Josiah Solomon <yosi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Greetings folks
>
> > A newbie here so forgive me. How do I download the files under repository?
>
> > On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 5:00 PM, Simone Busoli <simone.bus...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> >>http://www.google.com/search?q=rhino+tools+repository

Ayende Rahien

Mar 29, 2009, 5:56:00 PM3/29/09
to rhino-t...@googlegroups.com
It might be easier to just drop the binaries for Rhino ETL on the article as well

webpaul

Mar 29, 2009, 6:28:20 PM3/29/09
to Rhino Tools Dev
If you have the recommended binaries and want to email them to me for
inclusion in the article or put them somewhere I can link to, I can do
that to. Any reason you wouldn't make an ETL section at
http://ayende.com/projects/projects.aspx and I can just link to them?

Henrik Feldt

Mar 29, 2009, 6:43:00 PM3/29/09
to rhino-t...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paul,

I hadn't looked into ETL from Rhino's trunk before. Thx for writing the
article.

How would it compare to the concurrent and coordination runtime?
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/robotics/default.aspx
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/bb648752.aspx

While it uses a visual programming language, you can easily add code to the
sub-system tasks and it does use the same kind of yield return principle,
while keeping track with how much resources you have locally and networked,
scaling across them natively.

Wikipedia's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etl article goes into a few of the
features for ETL; how does Rhino ETL match up to those?

Regards,
Henke

webpaul

Mar 29, 2009, 8:09:44 PM3/29/09
to Rhino Tools Dev
I haven't used that but it appears to be more of a helper library for
writing multi-threaded apps. Rhino ETL on the other hand has ways of
easily reading from and writing to a database, files, etc. so they
seem much different.

As far comparing to other ETL tools, the only ones I have used are DTS
and SSIS. That being said, I would be suspicious of anything with a
designer unless the company was immediately able to release new
software based on my requests. Since that is pretty unlikely I'll
generally stay away from designers except for the most trivial things
or UI stuff.

You may be able to do the same thing in CCR vs Rhino ETL but for
was doing lots of multi threaded work where the threads needed to
communicate and I thought doing it manually was too much work then I
might try out the CCR.

On Mar 29, 5:43 pm, "Henrik Feldt" <hen...@haf.se> wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> I hadn't looked into ETL from Rhino's trunk before. Thx for writing the
> article.
>
> How would it compare to the concurrent and coordination runtime?http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/robotics/default.aspxhttp://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/bb648752.aspx
>
> While it uses a visual programming language, you can easily add code to the
> sub-system tasks and it does use the same kind of yield return principle,
> while keeping track with how much resources you have locally and networked,
> scaling across them natively.
>
> Wikipedia'shttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etlarticle goes into a few of the

Jason Meckley

Mar 30, 2009, 8:58:20 AM3/30/09
to Rhino Tools Dev
Excellent Article. As you stated, it only scratches the surface of
R.ETL but it does remove alot of the mystery surrounding it. Thank
you.
I would be interested in a follow up article about DB connectivity and
other hiddened gems within ETL.

Jason

Ayende Rahien

Apr 6, 2009, 11:26:03 AM4/6/09
to rhino-t...@googlegroups.com
just compile the trunk and use those.

Josiah Solomon

Apr 6, 2009, 4:04:01 PM4/6/09
to rhino-t...@googlegroups.com
Very nice!

Thank you very much

Josiah Solomon

Apr 6, 2009, 4:48:36 PM4/6/09
to rhino-t...@googlegroups.com
Ok got TOrtoise installed, downloading all Tools. But when downloading the ETL tool using TortoiseSVN do I have to check out the whole trunk folder? I just need ETL.

Thank you

Simone Busoli

Apr 6, 2009, 5:36:44 PM4/6/09
to rhino-t...@googlegroups.com
You need the whole trunk to compile since ETL depends on other stuff in the project. There's a batch file you can launch to compile everything, it's name is quite explanatory.

Josiah Solomon

Apr 7, 2009, 5:10:53 PM4/7/09
to rhino-t...@googlegroups.com
Ok got the whole trunk but when doing the compile using the DoBuild.bat file it fails with few errors. Let me start with first one:

                        common.find-tools:

                         [property] Read-only property "testrunner" cannot be overwritten.

I am a total newbie to your forum but would love to really utilize this ETL it looks very promising.

Thanks

Ayende Rahien

Apr 7, 2009, 5:30:18 PM4/7/09
to rhino-t...@googlegroups.com
Try running build without tests

webpaul

Apr 8, 2009, 10:06:52 AM4/8/09
to Rhino Tools Dev
Don't you think it would be easier to just put the "official" 1.0
compiled version at http://ayende.com/projects/projects.aspx instead
of continually working through these issues for every new user?

On Apr 7, 4:30 pm, Ayende Rahien <aye...@ayende.com> wrote:
> Try running build without tests
>

> On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 12:10 AM, Josiah Solomon <yosi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Ok got the whole trunk but when doing the compile using the DoBuild.bat
> > file it fails with few errors. Let me start with first one:
>
> >                         common.find-tools:
>
> >                          [property] Read-only property "testrunner" cannot
> > be overwritten.
>
> > I am a total newbie to your forum but would love to really utilize this ETL
> > it looks very promising.
>
> > Thanks
> > On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 2:36 PM, Simone Busoli <simone.bus...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> >> You need the whole trunk to compile since ETL depends on other stuff in
> >> the project. There's a batch file you can launch to compile everything, it's
> >> name is quite explanatory.

J Wynia

Apr 8, 2009, 10:48:38 AM4/8/09
to rhino-t...@googlegroups.com
Here's a snapshot of the trunk, compiled .NET 3.5 Debug:

http://cdn.cloudfiles.mosso.com/c52812/RhinoTools3.5Debug.zip

It's not official, but ...