IUpdateable

Shawn WIldermuth (adoguy.com)

Jun 28, 2008, 10:21:02 PM6/28/08
to Rhino Tools Dev
I am digging into Astoria quite a bit and am working with demo's using
Astoria as a communication layer. To support updating, it requires the
IUpdateable interface to be added. Any interest in this being part of
the NHibernate.Linq project? If so, let me know and I'll focus on
adding it to the library.

Ayende Rahien

Jun 28, 2008, 10:23:19 PM6/28/08
to rhino-t...@googlegroups.com
Yes, please!

Shawn WIldermuth (adoguy.com)

Jun 28, 2008, 11:13:18 PM6/28/08
to Rhino Tools Dev
My initial idea is to support IUpdateable directly on the
NHibernateContext so that every context will have its own
implemenation automatically. There is an exisitng bug with ADO.NET
Data Services that breaks NHIbernate.LINQ from working right (or I
think its a bug). Once I get that worked out (or a work-around), i'll
dig further into this.

Also, what do I need to do to be able to contribute? Do I need a
username/pwd for the project's SVN?
> > adding it to the library.- Hide quoted text -

Ayende Rahien

Jun 28, 2008, 11:56:31 PM6/28/08
to rhino-t...@googlegroups.com
Checkout the code, add the functionality, create a patch and post it here.

Shawn WIldermuth (adoguy.com)

Jun 29, 2008, 2:45:47 AM6/29/08
to Rhino Tools Dev
Sounds good...just to be clear, after seeing how this is normally
implemented I don't want to force a dependency to
System.Data.Services.dll onto the rest of the library so I am going to
implement it as a wrapper class in its own assembly so it can be torn
off. I'll post what I have once its working...thanks!

Shawn WIldermuth (adoguy.com)

Jun 29, 2008, 5:14:03 PM6/29/08
to Rhino Tools Dev
I'd like some advice since I don't want to assume what the direction
of the library is or not. I am investigating a way to implement the
IUpdatable interface is a more loosely coupled way so we don't have to
have NHIbernate.LINQ have a reference directly to
System.Data.Services.dll (where the IUpdatable interface is defined.
The biggest issue here is that since this assembly is *only* supported
in .NET 3.5 SP1 and beyond, I didn't want to introduce a dependency on
that build.

Is this as big a concern for the people who are steering this project
as it seems to me or am I wasting time trying to find an elegant
solution for this?

On Jun 29, 2:45 am, "Shawn WIldermuth (adoguy.com)"

Ayende Rahien

Jun 29, 2008, 5:21:11 PM6/29/08
to rhino-t...@googlegroups.com
I don't have a _big_ issue with that, but I would like to keep it simple and just require 3.5
There are several options here:
1) create a matching implementation and use dynamic proxy to bind it to the interface at runtime.
2) require the user to combine them:
public class MyUpdater : NHibernateLinqUpdatable, IUpdatable
{
}
3) separate dll.
4) just create the functionality, we will worry about deployment later.

Shawn WIldermuth (adoguy.com)

Jun 29, 2008, 9:30:26 PM6/29/08
to Rhino Tools Dev
Will do! I'll see if I get it working with tests in a few days...

Shawn WIldermuth (adoguy.com)

Jul 9, 2008, 12:07:58 AM7/9/08
to Rhino Tools Dev
The IUpdatable patch is coming. I am running through an addition set
of end-to-end tests to give me confidence that the simple tests
success is valid. You should see an initial patch this weekend.

On Jun 29, 9:30 pm, "Shawn WIldermuth (adoguy.com)"

Ayende Rahien

Jul 9, 2008, 12:22:35 AM7/9/08
to rhino-t...@googlegroups.com
Shawn,
Very cool!
Can you make a demo as well? That would be a really good PR.

Shawn WIldermuth (adoguy.com)

Jul 10, 2008, 2:50:53 AM7/10/08
to Rhino Tools Dev
The extended tests will be the demo...using nHibernate, Northwind and
Silverlight...(my exisitng SIlverlight demo but with nHibnerate behind
it instead of EF).

Ayende Rahien

Jul 10, 2008, 2:54:01 AM7/10/08
to rhino-t...@googlegroups.com
That is cool.
One question, though.
There are going to be automated tests for it, right?