Startup problems

rv_saraswathi

Jan 9, 2012, 5:06:06 AM1/9/12
to reviewboard
Hi Christian and team,

I installed ReviewBoard 1.6.3 successfully and created a site using rb-
site install. When I access this URL (http://172.19.2.226/reviews/) I
get the following output:

[quote]
Manual server updates required

A recent upgrade requires manual updates to be made on this server.
After these changes are made, you should restart your server.

If you have any questions or problems, please contact us on our
mailing list.
Data directory changes

Your site's data directory isn't properly set up. This directory is
where Review Board will store various state and configuration needed
to access repositories.

Your data directory is currently at: /var/www/reviews/data
Permission problems

The data directory must be writable by the web server. On Linux/Unix/
Mac, you can fix this by typing:

$ sudo chown -R root "/var/www/reviews/data"

On Windows, right-click the data directory and change the ownership to
root.

[/quote]

I am running ReviewBoard on Ubuntu 11.10, using apache mod wsgi with
mysql.

I have also changed the ownership of data and uploaded folders to www-
data.

[quote]
drwxr-xr-x 2 www-data root 4096 2012-01-10 07:41 data/
drwxr-xr-x 3 www-data root 4096 2012-01-10 07:41 uploaded/
[/quote]

Am I missing something here...?

regards,
RV

Christian Hammond

Jan 9, 2012, 5:36:18 AM1/9/12
to revie...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Odd that it's telling you to use root, since it should be using the process Apache is running as, which would be www-data normally. However, that appears to be what Apache thinks it's running as, which may indicate some other problem outside of RB. You don't want it to be running as root.

Are you starting Apache through the init script, or by running the apache binary manually as root?

Christian

--
Christian Hammond - chi...@chipx86.com
VMware, Inc. - http://www.vmware.com

--
Want to help the Review Board project? Donate today at http://www.reviewboard.org/donate/

rv_saraswathi

Jan 12, 2012, 9:39:45 AM1/12/12
to reviewboard
Christian,
Thanks for the reply. I started apache using "sudo apachectl -k
start". Is it becoz of this? If yes, I need a way to figure out how
to start Apa;che w/o using sudo command. Any help appreciated.

regards
RV

On Jan 9, 3:36 pm, Christian Hammond <chip...@chipx86.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Odd that it's telling you to use root, since it should be using the process
> Apache is running as, which would be www-data normally. However, that
> appears to be what Apache thinks it's running as, which may indicate some
> other problem outside of RB. You don't want it to be running as root.
>
> Are you starting Apache through the init script, or by running the apache
> binary manually as root?
>
> Christian
>
> --
> VMware, Inc. -http://www.vmware.com

Anton Cohen

Jan 12, 2012, 8:13:56 PM1/12/12
to revie...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 6:39 AM, rv_saraswathi <rv....@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks for the reply.  I started apache using "sudo apachectl -k
start".  Is it becoz of this?  If yes, I need a way to figure out how
to start Apa;che w/o using sudo command.  Any help appreciated.

It's best not to use apache2ctl to start and stop httpd. In Ubuntu 11.10 you can use 'service' and 'update-rc.d'.

To enable apache2 on boot:
sudo update-rc.d apache2 enable

To disable apache2 on boot:
sudo update-rc.d apache2 disable

To start apache2 manually:
sudo service apache2 start

You can replace 'start' with stop, restart, reload (or graceful), status, and a few others.

In older Ubuntu and Debian versions without the 'service' command you can do:
sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 start

For reference, on Red Hat-based systems the equivalent commands are:
sudo chkconfig httpd on
sudo service httpd start

-Anton

永鑫 Q

Oct 29, 2014, 10:43:35 PM10/29/14
to revie...@googlegroups.com
Me too!
I got the same problem,help!!

在 2012年7月2日星期一UTC+8下午10时55分45秒,laxmi写道:
Hi,

I am having same issue. Please help.

I installed ReviewBoard 1.6.9 on fedora 15. Post isntallation RB complaing about data direcotry setup and I get following error

connecting to http://<IP> of the machine from remote or http://<localhost> from same machine.

Checked the data folder and it is owned by user apache and Apache is runing as user apache. Please adive what else I need to check.

Manual server updates required

A recent upgrade requires manual updates to be made on this server. After these changes are made, you should restart your server.

If you have any questions or problems, please contact us on our mailing list.

Data directory changes

Your site's data directory isn't properly set up. This directory is where Review Board will store various state and configuration needed to access repositories.

Your data directory is currently at: /var/www/review.com/data

Permission problems

The data directory must be writable by the web server. On Linux/Unix/Mac, you can fix this by typing:

    $ sudo chown -R apache "/var/www/review.com/data"

On Windows, right-click the data directory and change the ownership to apache.

.

drwxrwxrwx. 2 apache apache 4096 Jul  2 03:07 data

Christian Hammond

Oct 30, 2014, 12:32:25 AM10/30/14
to revie...@googlegroups.com
This thread is very old. Can you post a new one with full details on your version, OS, and what errors you're seeing?

Christian
---
---

---