TFS Support Anytime soon

Bryan

Aug 6, 2009, 9:36:57 AM8/6/09
to reviewboard
We are looking to use reviewboard on a project with source control in
Team Foundation Server. Are there any plans or any beta versions that
include support for TFS as a code repository?

-Bryan

Christian Hammond

Aug 6, 2009, 7:46:08 PM8/6/09
to revie...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bryan,

People have talked about writing support for TFS, but so far nobody's committed to it. We've briefly looked into what it would take, and it seems somewhat complicated as there are no APIs we can use from Python. We also don't have access to a TFS server to develop against, which makes it difficult. If someone wants to step up and figure out TFS support, we'll be glad to work on getting it incorporated into Review Board, but until someone does, we can't commit to including it in any release.

Christian

--
Christian Hammond - chi...@chipx86.com
VMware, Inc. - http://www.vmware.com

Jim Deville

Aug 6, 2009, 8:50:03 PM8/6/09
to revie...@googlegroups.com

What about using Codeplex to develop against and using IronPython to take advantage of the .NET API’s

JD

…there is no try

http://blog.jredville.com

Christian Hammond

Aug 6, 2009, 11:06:28 PM8/6/09
to revie...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jim,

This is one thing that came up when I was discussing this with someone else. I think what I'd like to see is a tool that Review Board can use (much like it uses svn/cvs/etc) for the file lookups. That could be written in IronPython, C#, whatever. As long as it can be installed and Review Board can call it. I don't to deal with making sure Review Board stays compatible with IronPython, though, as it just increases are maintenance and support burden.

Christian

--
Christian Hammond - chi...@chipx86.com
VMware, Inc. - http://www.vmware.com

Jim Deville

Aug 7, 2009, 2:44:24 PM8/7/09
to revie...@googlegroups.com

So are you looking for a tool similar to git show? So that you can ask the tool what   file x looked like at revision y?

Christian Hammond

Aug 7, 2009, 4:14:18 PM8/7/09
to revie...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jim,

Yes. If we have the ability to do that, then a tool can certainly be written. Review Board doesn't need a whole lot generally in order to interface with a server, but ths is hte one main requirement. I don't know enough about TFS to know if this exists today. Being able to do it with a remote repository would also be helpful, as opposed to requiring a local one (though there are exceptions, such as Git, which doesn't let you look up a file with a revision remotely).

Christian