cvs [checkout aborted]: Absolute module reference invalid

Paul Lynch

May 13, 2010, 7:57:39 PM5/13/10
to reviewboard
I have just started trying to use" Review Board 1.5 beta 2 (dev)". I
am using cvs (with a pserver now) and when trying to upload my first
diff (using the web page, not post-review), I got the error message
mentioned in the subject line. Some searching on this group shows
that this issue was identified earlier:
http://groups.google.com/group/reviewboard/browse_thread/thread/d5fa15a9e93ef6a2
and was patched, and the patch was accepted:
http://code.google.com/p/reviewboard/issues/detail?id=535
but that due to later revisions, the bug has reappeared:
http://groups.google.com/group/reviewboard/browse_thread/thread/2f507a12b49ed11c
and no one replied because after all, who still uses CVS?

Anyway, I discovered something that might help fellow suffering CVS
users. The start of my unified diff file (cvs diff -u) looks like:

RCS file: /proj/cvs/def/proto1/app/controllers/some_file.rb,v
retrieving revision 1.38
retrieving revision 1.39
diff -u -r1.38 -r1.39
--- some_file.rb 27 Apr 2010 21:57:24 -0000 1.38
+++ some_file.rb 29 Apr 2010 15:40:24 -0000 1.39

I found that if I remove the CVS root from the path on the second
line, so that it reads:
RCS file: def/proto1/app/controllers/some_file.rb,v

then ReviewBoard accepts the diff without any problem.

--Paul

--
Want to help the Review Board project? Donate today at http://www.reviewboard.org/donate/