Quicktime Playback with 1.4

John Hunt

May 7, 2008, 11:37:09 AM5/7/08
to ResourceSpace
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to get Quicktime files to play using version 1.4. I have
used 1.3, and the methods previously discussed in the groups here, to
play these files previously but, when I reinstalled 1.4 I'm having
pronlems. I'm not a programmer (PHP or anything else), and have
followed instructions while learning a little along the way.
I don't seem to be able to find anf type files in plugins/players/
and, if I add my existing type3.php I end up only displaying the name
of the resource after linking to it from the search page - nothing
else (such as the download options - it appears that this has totally
stopped the frame from loading.
If I work without any modifications to the system I can play flash
files but, when I click on the quicktime still (a still has been
generated) the system will go to another window with the still and no
option to play (pressing space will not work and there are no controls
availible). When I click on the still I am returned to the resource
page, which I was just viewing (almost a back command in the browser).
I must be doing something stupid somewhere - I want to play the
quicktime files as the company feels that the quality can be better
than the flash files.

Does anyone have any thoughts, please?

Otherwise 1.4 is wrking well in our testing setup (Fedora 8).

Thanks,
John Hunt.

Dan Huby

May 8, 2008, 4:57:47 AM5/8/08
to ResourceSpace
Hi John,

I'm not sure about the Quicktime player mod as I wasn't involved with
it and don't know the details.

However - Flash really is best as it's the most supported in terms of
typical browser capability - most people already have the flash player
installed, whereas Quicktime is a fair bit less certain.

If you are encoding the FLV files yourself then the quality is really
up to you. You can set a higher bit rate to improve the quality.
Possibly those at your company are used to seeing low quality Youtube
videos and assuming that that's all FLV is capable of... well I'd say
it's worth trying higher bit rates and doing a demo first to see if
you can change their mind.

Hope this helps.

Dan

John Hunt

May 9, 2008, 4:30:27 AM5/9/08
to ResourceSpace
Thanks Dan,

In this case I believe the lack of quality is due to the transcode
process from the compressed quicktime source - going from heavily
compressed quicktime (which actually looked quite good) to compressesd
flash is giving us some problems. We were trying to put the quicktime
up, to give a better quality of demonstration to our client.

Regards,
John.

Dan Huby

May 9, 2008, 4:47:46 AM5/9/08
to ResourceSpace
Ahh... understood. Re-encoding already compressed video isn't going to
look great!

The modification to play QT may need altering because the 'plugins/
viewers' folder is now just 'viewers' (i.e. up a level) after the
plugin folder was repurposed for the new plugin architecture.

John Hunt

May 12, 2008, 3:57:41 AM5/12/08
to ResourceSpace
Ah HA!

This give me something to go at, now.

Thanks, Dan.

John.

Camillo

May 13, 2008, 4:42:43 AM5/13/08
to ResourceSpace
I am thinking about building a collection of standard video plugins.
Do you have the html and javascript to embed QuickTime player ActiveX
in a web page?

To understand what is needed by the user, how do you use it?

I do not like the player to be embedded in the "resource view" page,
because it is very heavy if you want only to read metadata; I prefer
to open the player in a new window.

Thanks!

Camillo