opencore update

Garret

Jan 14, 2009, 6:45:58 PM1/14/09
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Hi Sean,

We spoke with Dave Sparks today on a conference call and he
recommended contacting you regarding an upcoming update we want to
make to the opencore repository.

Dave told us that the latest is branching strategy is for this update
to go on a separate opencore integration branch which would be created
off of the new donuts branch which is scheduled to be cut next week.

He said that currently it's only possible for someone at Google to
create a new branch and that you could assist with this. We are also
looking for details on how we would actually push our changes to this
branch. What would we do differently from what's documented at:

http://source.android.com/submit-patches

thanks,
Garret

Shawn Pearce

Jan 15, 2009, 1:06:29 AM1/15/09
to repo-d...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 15:45, Garret <pic...@pv.com> wrote:

We spoke with Dave Sparks today on a conference call and he
recommended contacting you regarding an upcoming update we want to
make to the opencore repository.

Dave told us that the latest is branching strategy is for this update
to go on a separate opencore integration branch which would be created
off of the new donuts branch which is scheduled to be cut next week.

He said that currently it's only possible for someone at Google to
create a new branch and that you could assist with this.

Yes.  I'll make the opencore branch at the same time that I make the donut branch.   Donut hasn't been cut yet.  When it is cut, it will start from cupcake.  From what I have heard, donut has a fairly short schedule so the CTT wants to keep it on the more stable cupcake codeline rather than master.  (But like cupcake, donut will downmerge to master.)

We are also
looking for details on how we would actually push our changes to this
branch.  What would we do differently from what's documented at:
http://source.android.com/submit-patches

The easiest thing is (sadly) going to be to create a new client from the branch, dump your patches from your existing client, and re-apply them in the new one.  This is roughly:

  # old client
  repo forall -c 'git format-patch --stdout m/master.. >~/$(echo $REPO_PROJECT | sed s,/,-,g).patch'

  # new client
  repo init -b opencore  ; # or whatever the branch winds up being
  repo start newwork
  repo forall -c 'git am -3 ~/$(echo $REPO_PROJECT | sed s,/,-,g).patch'

It may be possible to switch an existing client from master or cupcake over to the new branch with "repo init -b opencore", but this isn't well tested, and I'm not actualy sure what happens to existing branches you have previously created with repo start.  I know for certain they won't be deleted, but I'm not sure if their upstream setting in the .git/config file will be switched to the new branch or not.

I'll try to test this myself before I make the opencore branch, and see what the current repo behavior is.