curl: (6) Couldn't resolve host 'android.git.kernel.org'

CTW

Sep 22, 2011, 1:52:31 AM9/22/11
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
When I run the command "curl http://android.git.kernel.org/repo >~/
bin/repo"

I get this error message:

curl: (6) Couldn't resolve host 'android.git.kernel.org'

Please advice if the server is down??????

Thank you.

Shawn Pearce

Sep 22, 2011, 12:43:17 PM9/22/11
to CTW, Repo and Gerrit Discussion

Yes, right now all *.kernel.org servers are unavailable.

Bernard Talbert

Sep 22, 2011, 5:52:24 PM9/22/11

On Sep 22, 9:43 am, Shawn Pearce <s...@google.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 22:52, CTW <etwc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > When I run the command "curlhttp://android.git.kernel.org/repo>~/
> > bin/repo"
>
> Yes, right now all *.kernel.org servers are unavailable.

It's been down about 3 weeks now. Has Google made any announcements
about when it might be up? Is there an alternate mirror server?
How about an interim solution like hosting the project.git files on
Github?
I thought the whole point of Git was to avoid centralize failures like
this.

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Sep 22, 2011, 6:34:41 PM9/22/11
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
We're working on getting things back up and running, but there's
nothing to announce at this point.

Git's distributedness indeed avoids certain failures: e.g. anyone who
has cloned the kernel.org mirrors before they went down has access to
full history and full revision control even though the mirrors are
currently down.

JBQ

> --

Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru

warning.

David Schmitt

Sep 29, 2011, 7:04:41 AM9/29/11
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
It's sad that this leaves people who want to bootstrap new locations
out in the cold...

On Sep 23, 12:34 am, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> We're working on getting things back up and running, but there's
> nothing to announce at this point.
>
> Git's distributedness indeed avoids certain failures: e.g. anyone who
> has cloned the kernel.org mirrors before they went down has access to
> full history and full revision control even though the mirrors are
> currently down.
>
> JBQ
>
> On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 2:52 PM, Bernard Talbert
>

> <bernard.talb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Yes, right now all *.kernel.org servers are unavailable.
>
> > It's been down about 3 weeks now. Has Google made any announcements
> > about when it might be up? Is there an alternate mirror server?
> > How about an interim solution like hosting the project.git files on
> > Github?
> > I thought the whole point of Git was to avoid centralize failures like
> > this.

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Sep 29, 2011, 11:01:59 AM9/29/11
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Note that we added a feature to repo that will make it easier for
people to maintain mirrors of projects managed by repo, by allowing
the individual projects locations to be specified relative to the
manifest, such that the same manifest will work as-is on multiple
servers:

http://code.google.com/p/git-repo/source/detail?r=db728cd866d4950779620993e12e76f09eb6e2ee&name=maint

JBQ

> More info at http://groups.google.com/group/repo-discuss?hl=en

David Schmitt

Sep 30, 2011, 4:56:50 AM9/30/11
On Sep 29, 5:01 pm, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> Note that we added a feature to repo that will make it easier for
> people to maintain mirrors of projects managed by repo, by allowing
> the individual projects locations to be specified relative to the
> manifest, such that the same manifest will work as-is on multiple
> servers:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/git-repo/source/detail?r=db728cd866d49507796...

That looks really nice, I'll have to try that!

What's even nicer for now, is that Google Code has a trustworthy git
mirror of the repo repository. I guess that answers CTW's question
too.

Best Regards, David

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Sep 30, 2011, 9:12:41 AM9/30/11
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
FWIW, for Android (where the canonical manifest location is
platform/manifest and the various projects are under platform/ and
device/), I'm using fetch=".." and it's working without any problem.

JBQ