Will replica island go 3D?

Afriza N. Arief

Jun 6, 2010, 9:54:42 AM6/6/10
to ReplicaIsland Coding Community
Any plan for Replica Island to go 3D?

Chris Pruett

Jun 6, 2010, 10:30:41 AM6/6/10
to replica-island-...@googlegroups.com
No.

2D is a format, not a limitation.

It does use OpenGL to draw, though.

All that said, you could certainly use the engine for a 3D game!

Chris

Ted Malaska

Jun 6, 2010, 3:53:22 PM6/6/10
to ReplicaIsland Coding Community

If you need 3d models (mesh and animation) then I can help. I'm
pretty good at blender the os cg tool. You can see my work at

http://www.youtube.com/tedkarenm2

I also have code that will render the 3d animation on android. I made
a video of that program and posted it to my youtube channel.

Ted Malaska

Jun 6, 2010, 3:45:22 PM6/6/10
to replica-island-...@googlegroups.com

If you need models I can make some in blender. For some examples see my work at http://www.youtube.com/tedkarenm2.  I even got code that will draw the blender models on android.  An example of the code is also on my youtube channel.

ted m

Afriza N. Arief

Jun 17, 2010, 11:59:27 PM6/17/10
On Jun 6, 10:30 pm, Chris Pruett <sm0a...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2D is a format, not a limitation.
>
> It does use OpenGL to draw, though.
>
> All that said, you could certainly use the engine for a 3D game!
>
> Chris

I am a beginner in 3D graphics,

Do you mind sharing what kind of level of detail algorithms are
recommended for development in Android?

Discrete LoD? Continuous LoD? What algorithm did you use in your
Google I/O 2010 presentation?

Regards,

Afriza

Chris Pruett

Jun 18, 2010, 3:38:07 AM6/18/10
to replica-island-...@googlegroups.com
I used the dumbest lod algorithm ever. I have 4 discreet meshes and I
select the one to draw based on distance from the camera. Done.

The code for that is here, by the way:

http://code.google.com/p/apps-for-android/source/browse/trunk/HeightMapProfiler

Chris