Setting up RefineryCMS on Heroku - We're sorry, but something went wrong.

chluther

May 15, 2011, 5:29:17 PM5/15/11
to Refinery CMS
1. I have RefineryCMS installed and running on my localhost. The GIT
repository is hosted at Unfuddle.
2. I then run:
heroku create
git push heroku master

3. The app seems to install successfully on Heroku. But when I go to
the referenced Heroku site I get the "We're Sorry, but something went
wrong" message. For good measure I also check http://site.heroku.com/refinery/
and http://site.heroku.com/refinery/dashboard - same result.

4. I view logs with Heroku Logs. There I find the following errors:
.
.
.
ActiveRecord::StatementInvalid (PGError: ERROR: relation
"page_translations" does not exist
.
.
.
ActiveRecord::StatementInvalid (PGError: ERROR: relation "roles" does
not exist
.
.
.

5. Thinking that something failed in the db migration process I run
heroku rake db:migrate

6. Now I am able to get RefineryCMS's "There are no users yet, so we''
set you up first" message. I successfully create the first admin user
and can view the refinery dashboard.

7. The Dashboard, Files, Images, Settings and Users tabs now work.
However the Pages module displays the "were sorry but something..."
message, as does the root site.

8. Looking at Heroku Logs again I discover
.
.
.
ActionView::Template::Error (undefined method `meta_keywords' for
#<Page::Translation:0x7f38f5ae7830>):
2011-05-15T21:18:40+00:00 app[web.1]: 1: <ul id='sortable_list'>
.
.
.
ActionView::Template::Error (undefined method `browser_title' for
#<Page::Translation:0x7f38f5e1e300>):

9. I'm guessing that the "default" pages normally created by
RefineryCMS were not created, and I need to define some content for
these pages. However I don't know how to do that via the CLI on the
Heroku hosted app.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Philip Arndt

May 15, 2011, 5:52:39 PM5/15/11
to refine...@googlegroups.com
You may not have the latest migrations... try this (on your local system):

rails generate refinerycms --update
rake db:migrate

push to heroku, now on heroku:

heroku rake db:reset
heroku rake db:migrate
heroku restart

Let me know how that goes :)

chluther

May 15, 2011, 7:37:48 PM5/15/11
to Refinery CMS
That was the problem.... following your directions got me good. Extra
thanks for the quick response over a weekend.

Chris

Philip Arndt

May 15, 2011, 7:39:13 PM5/15/11
to refine...@googlegroups.com
You're in luck: It's my Monday already ;-)

Glad it worked.

giang nguyen

May 20, 2011, 8:11:43 PM5/20/11
to Refinery CMS
Just want to say thanks.
I have the same problem as chluther, I think the key is your "heroku
restart" command. All previous commands seem to make no changes to me.
Thanks again Philip.

Philip Arndt

May 20, 2011, 8:13:34 PM5/20/11
to refine...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, heroku doesn't seem to restart by itself most of the time so "heroku restart" has been my saving grace on many occasions.

giang nguyen

May 21, 2011, 2:51:32 AM5/21/11
to Refinery CMS
heroku rake db:reset doesn't seem to be supported by Heroku because of
its read-only system: http://devcenter.heroku.com/articles/rake

Thomas Maas

Jun 14, 2011, 4:14:41 PM6/14/11
to Refinery CMS
Bit late, assuming you're on a shared db on heroku:

heroku pg:reset --db SHARED_DATABASE_URL
heroku rake db:migrate
heroku restart

Hope that helps.

On May 15, 11:29 pm, chluther <ch...@agileid.com> wrote:
> 1. I have RefineryCMS installed and running on my localhost. The GIT
> repository is hosted at Unfuddle.
> 2. I then run:
>     heroku create
>     git push heroku master
>
> 3. The app seems to install successfully on Heroku.  But when I go to
> the referenced Heroku site I get the "We're Sorry, but something went
> wrong" message.  For good measure I also checkhttp://site.heroku.com/refinery/
> andhttp://site.heroku.com/refinery/dashboard- same result.

Ken Paulsen

Jul 18, 2011, 9:50:15 AM7/18/11
to refine...@googlegroups.com
I today ran into a similar problem which was solved by running these commands.
Except "heroku pg:reset SHARED_DATABASE" is now the non deprecated command, and I also ran "heroku rake db:setup" afterwards.

Braden

Aug 20, 2011, 8:15:11 PM8/20/11
to Refinery CMS
I have the same issue as well. None of these commands are working for
me.

Gaurav Cheema

Jan 8, 2012, 2:44:26 AM1/8/12
to refine...@googlegroups.com
I was struggling with this issue for a while. Your suggestion worked for me as well.

Thanks a lot.

James Thompson

Nov 28, 2012, 6:22:18 AM11/28/12
to refine...@googlegroups.com
Mostly a note to future self, but just in case it helps anyone else...

I'm maintaining an older system, running on 1.0.9 of Refinery. I recently ran into this, and the solution was to lock the 'seo_meta' gem:

gem 'seo_meta', '1.1'
gem 'refinerycms', '1.0.9'

Cheerio!
Message has been deleted

Philip Arndt

Dec 5, 2012, 2:57:53 PM12/5/12
to refine...@googlegroups.com
I wonder if I should yank 1.4.0 and push as 2.0.. what does everyone think?

Is it just 1.4.0 at fault or do 1.3.0 and 1.2.0 cause problems too?